News:

• April 28, 2024, 11:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 56/62 CL muffler, get while the gettins good  (Read 5607 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Saito 56/62 CL muffler, get while the gettins good
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:25:44 AM »
Some may not be aware that the Muffler supplied with Saito 56/62 CL engines is smaller and lighter than either version of the one supplied with RC engines but not any more restrictive. Horizon has the new muffler in stock which may not be the case once everyone figures out this quick inexpensive way to save some weight.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SAI5674CL

Might also want the longer nipple/manifold tube.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SAI5075

Well that didn't take long, ordered 3 mufflers this morning and they back ordered one. At least I have two coming which will work for now  >:(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:00:27 AM by Bob Reeves »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Saito 56/62 CL muffler, get while the gettins good
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:12:14 AM »
Way to go Bob.   Now we have to wait also.  Just kidding and to let you know I do read all this stuff.  Need to get the little Cardinette out again.  But, I have excuses.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:25:49 AM »
   The Saito .56 in the Score that I bought has a muffler that I think is from a .72, and they are only 18 bucks I think. The smaller muffler is what came with the C/L version  .62 I bought when they first came out. I just made a copy of the small one tonight at work in about 20 minutes, but made it a bit longer. I made a copy of the .72 muffler, but with out the baffle inside to see how it runs.
    This leads into a question I have had since the beginning of my experiences, how much does a muffler or different mufflers affect the performance? Can you use a more open or more restrictive muffler to "tune" your engine for the output you desire. The weather is looking good for here this weekend, so I'll get to try them out.
  Thanks for any and all input,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »
To understand where I'm coming from, I haven't done any experimenting at all with mufflers. My view is the only reason to even use a muffler on a 4 stroke is to give you a pressure tap for the tank. The small CL muffler is just a tube with a pressure fitting and I haven't seen any difference between using it and the stock 56 RC muffler which is a bit larger and has a baffle.

I've never owned a 72 but am pretty sure the exhaust pipe is larger than the 56. For this reason I would guess the muffler you are thinking came off a 72 is really the one supplied with the RC versions of the 56 and 62.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
To understand where I'm coming from, I haven't done any experimenting at all with mufflers. My view is the only reason to even use a muffler on a 4 stroke is to give you a pressure tap for the tank. The small CL muffler is just a tube with a pressure fitting and I haven't seen any difference between using it and the stock 56 RC muffler which is a bit larger and has a baffle.

I've never owned a 72 but am pretty sure the exhaust pipe is larger than the 56. For this reason I would guess the muffler you are thinking came off a 72 is really the one supplied with the RC versions of the 56 and 62.
    Hi Bob;
     Not sure of the vintage, but any Saito .56s that I have seen new in the box has the big die cast baffled mufflers. I have looked at Horizon's web site trying to figure it out, so I could buy a new one if needed, and while they are listed separately, they don't denote what engine they are for. I think I saw during my search that the .72 still used the 10mmX1 threaded fittings, so that's what my uneducated wild guess is based on. Then I just decided to make up some copies because I could and had the material. The muffler on the Score is so quiet, you can have a normal conversation with someone outside the circle! After listening to 2 strokes for a lot of years, you begin to equate power with certain sound levels, and that's one part of my learning curve with the 4 strokes. Sometimes they don't sound like they are making enough power to pull your hat off your head! But when you crank in the up for that first wing over, up she goes! y1 Again, this isn't a rant or rave or complaint, just curious what you other guys are doing, and does different mufflers make a difference in tuning. I've pretty much been using your set up in my engine and will continue with it as the basis for the next model. I've got a used .56 and a brand new in box .62 for the next plane, now that I have reached a certain confidence level with these things.
     Great fall flying weather here this weekend! Got things to do today, but don't nobody be in my way to the field in the morning!
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
The big ugly cast muffler was introduced a couple years ago with the 62 and now is supplied with all the RC engines. It's heaver than the older tube muffler and my opinion is the best thing to do with one is to sell it to some RC dude.  ;D

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »
how much does a muffler or different mufflers affect the performance? Can you use a more open or more restrictive muffler to "tune" your engine for the output you desire. The weather is looking good for here this weekend, so I'll get to try them out.
  Thanks for any and all input,
   Dan McEntee

Hi Dan,

I've enlarged the exit of the CL muffler slightly on my .56, and noticing some gain in the rpm.  also have used the cast aluminum one a while back with good success..  good speed regulation and very good sounding, but it's definitely heavy.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:37:44 AM by Joe Yau »

Offline Claudio Chacon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 05:36:27 PM »
Hi Joe,
How much did you enlarged the exit of your CL muffler and how many RPM's did you gain?

In the picture I see that the oil niple is conected to the intake manifold so that the excess oil goes back into the engine. Isn't it supossed that the excess oil must remain out of the motor? ???

Regards,
Claudio.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 01:38:32 PM »
Hi Joe,
How much did you enlarged the exit of your CL muffler and how many RPM's did you gain?

In the picture I see that the oil niple is conected to the intake manifold so that the excess oil goes back into the engine. Isn't it supossed that the excess oil must remain out of the motor? ???

Regards,
Claudio.

It was enlarged to the next drill size (7/32), then was sanded lightly/polished smooth. It gained about 300rpm.  On the mod.. I bought the modified pieces from a club member's crashed Score with the .56.  and I was told it recycles the oil, so it gets more lube.  not sure what it is suppose to effects  performance..  but it does keep my plane cleaner.   :)

Offline Greg Frail

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 02:53:12 AM »
Joe,
My saito 56 had the oil outlet connected to the intake tube exactly as yours does. Block the original, drill and tap a nipple into the cam cover and another nipple into the intake tube. I thought mine had a bad bearing and I had it replaced under warranty and had the modification done at the same time. There are a quite a few in Oz the same. I dont know of any difference in performance but it cleans up the oil off the model a lot.
Greg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here