News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:47:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 56/62 carb mod for CL  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Saito 56/62 carb mod for CL
« on: August 04, 2009, 05:10:32 AM »
Think I have it finished..

Check this out and let me know if something isn't clear or I missed anything.

http://www.tulsacl.com/SaitoCarb.html

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Saito 56/62 carb mod for CL
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:37:52 AM »
Hi, Bob;

Good article! However, ... (isn't there ALWAYS a "however"?  :) )

You say in the article:

"... this particular prop ... is effectively at least a 6.5 even though the pitch gauge measures 5.5."

Could you expand on that a bit?

Second: You say
"Plastic Clunk tank plumbed conventionally on muffler pressure."

and then
"...with a conventional tank is you will get a slight speed up during the flight as the fuel is used up."

Do you attribute the speed up to the use of the conventional tank? Would a uniflow eliminate that characteristic?

Regards,

Bill Lee
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:05:38 AM »
Thanks Bill, will try to answer your questions as best I can.

I'm not real sure what brand the carbon 3 blade prop is, I purchased 3 of the silly things from Modusa when they were selling Stalkers. It's very possibly a Kaz Minato prop as it looks just like a couple others I've seen from him. I just stuck it on the 62 one day to see what it would do and it worked. I don't have his prop list but if he is selling a 3 blade CF 13-5.5 for the Stalker 61 I would almost bet it's the same prop.

Actually I didn't just stick it on.. First I repitched one to 6.5 thinking a 5.5 pitch couldn't possibly work and tried it, at this pitch it was too much load for the 62 and the poor thing wouldn't rev over 8100 wide open. I then went down to 6 pitch, it was flyable but still quite a load on the engine. Finally I just stuck on a stock one, adjusted the intake for 8300 and it worked.

When I say effective pitch I'm going by what the lap times are for a given RPM using a Rev-Up 7 pitch prop as a reference. I only had to increase the engine RPM by about 100 to get the same lap times I was with a Rev-Up. If it was a real 5.5 pitch prop I would have thought the difference would be more like 4-500.

Another example is the Evolution 11-7, it actually measures a 7 on my pitch gauge as does a Rev-Up 11-7.5 but I have to increase the engine RPM by about 200 with the Evo prop in order to get the same lap time as the Rev-Up. I don't claim to fully understand why, I just try things till something works. Maybe someone that really understands prop efficiency can enlighten us.

Yes the conventionally plumbed tank is responsible for the speed up but it also gives the most consistant runs. A conventional tank gives up it's fuel load much easier than a uniflow tank and 4 strokes need all the help with fuel delivery they can get. Some have said they can make a uniflow tank work but I have not been able to without experiencing inconsistent run issues that were much worse than a slight speed up during the flight. It's a compromise I am willing to make considering the alternatives.

When I had the Saito 30 on the TwistMaster I was bound and determined to make a hard uniflow tank work. I built 4 different uniflow tanks during this ordeal and tried every configuration I could think of including two versions of chicken hoppers. Finally I stuck on a plastic clunk tank with one vent in the top inside corner and haven't looked back.

One configuration I haven't tried is one I received from Martin Quartim along with the Rogue venturi info. It sure looks like it would be worth trying, I just haven't gotten around to it...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:41 AM »
Bob, that is a great artical on your set ups.  But, for guys like me that have no machining experience let alone a lathe are up a creek so to speak.  When I was flying F2C I always had a pilot that was a machinest also.  Thanks for all the info.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »
Bob, that is a great artical on your set ups.  But, for guys like me that have no machining experience let alone a lathe are up a creek so to speak.  When I was flying F2C I always had a pilot that was a machinest also.  Thanks for all the info.  DOC Holliday

Thanks Doc. Actually Allan sent me an email hopfully volunteering to put together how he did his Saito 40. He doesn't make a new barrel which is the machinist part, instead he takes the temper out of the stock steel barrel so it can be drilled and taped. When he gets it together I will post it on the Tulsa site. This would allow anyone without a lathe to accomplish almost the same setup. Personally I like the idea of replacing a 1/4 ounce chunk of steel with aluminum but I also have the means to make it happen and realize many don't.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:58:55 AM »
Bob, you said:

"A conventional tank gives up it's fuel load much easier than a uniflow tank and 4 strokes need all the help with fuel delivery they can get. Some have said they can make a uniflow tank work but I have not been able to without experiencing inconsistent run issues that were much worse than a slight speed up during the flight. It's a compromise I am willing to make considering the alternatives."

Have you ever tried the uniflow with muffler pressure to the uniflow vent? Seems to me that the pressure is the key to "easy fuel draw" while the uniflow would ameliorate the rich->lean that you're seeing. (Yes, a uniflow tank works the same with muffler pressure as it does with normal air pressure.)

Just a thought.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:59:33 AM »
Great stuff Bob, thanks.

Offline Rob Roberts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
Bob

This may be a dumb question but why not use the throttle to do the same thing as the choke?
 Rob

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »
Bob

This may be a dumb question but why not use the throttle to do the same thing as the choke?
 Rob

Not dumb at all.. A stock RC carb is a variable air leak, no matter how well you think you have the throttle barrel locked down it won't deliver the consistency we need. It's fine if you just want to play with a four stroke but if you want to fly competitively it will act up right at the wrong time. Many of us have tried it..

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 03:14:17 PM »
Great job Bob!
You did good, but I moved some files around and the link is now on the "Engines and Tanks" page as that's the category this article fits into. On that page people can find the link to your Saito Carb article.

http://www.tulsacl.com/Engines.html

regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 04:41:13 AM »
Great job Bob!
You did good, but I moved some files around and the link is now on the "Engines and Tanks" page as that's the category this article fits into. On that page people can find the link to your Saito Carb article.

http://www.tulsacl.com/Engines.html

Looks good Rick and makes sense.. That page had 104 hits the first day it was up  y1

Offline catdaddy

• catdaddy
  • AMA Member
  • Commander
  • The Dude Abides
    • Tulsa Gluedobber Control Line Club
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 01:53:43 PM »
Looks good Rick and makes sense.. That page had 104 hits the first day it was up  y1

That's awesome! I'm glad you are contributing to the content of the workshop and apparently so are a lot of people :)
regards,
Rick"catdaddy"Blankenship

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here