News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:13:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saito 40 - thanks Bob Reeves!  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Mark Allen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Saito 40 - thanks Bob Reeves!
« on: September 06, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
Well, nothing really new for those that are familiar with the Saito 40 and Bob's setup.  I've had my new Saito 40 CL version setup for quite a while following Bob's recommendations but haven't had time to get it on the stand to break it in.  Well, after a long time off on other things I got the engine on the stand today and started running YS 20-20 through it on an 11x7 prop.  Didn't take too long before it was nicely holding the 8400 rpm that I easily set with the 10-32 nylon screw set most of the way into the intake.  A few more runs and I was getting 6:38 runs on 3 oz of fuel every time.  Talk about consistent.  Put in a hair less fuel and could pretty easily get 6:15-20 runs on a bit less than 3 oz.  Since nothing was changing (I ran the stopwatch and checked the rpm every time) I ran a few more tanks through it on the stand and decided at that point might as well put it in the plane.  Felt like after a half gallon of fuel things were very stable.  Hopefully, I'll be able to fly it this weekend. 

Bob Reeves, you're the man!   H^^ All I did was follow your advice here and it couldn't have been simpler or worked better!  Everything seemed to work just as you said, even listening to set the peak on the needle and then backing it off a bit.  I've flown big Saitos in RC for quite a while and while I'd hesitate to say this engine is fully broken in, I also don't have any hesitation to fly it at this point either.  Its in my Brodak P-51 profile right now.  Yeah, I know, I think its a lot of engine for that plane, but its all I've got to fly at the moment and since I haven't flown in 2 years now and this plane is old reliable and the 40 bolted right in...  I've got a Corehouse Giles VI on the way that I'll be building for the 40 that I think is going to work very well.

So this is just to say thanks for your work on the 4 strokes and sharing what you've learned with the rest of us.  It works.  Thought its just nice to hear that every now and then.

Now I've got to get my Saito 30 (with Pat Johnson barrel-screw in it for setting the rpm), Saito 56 and 72 broken in as well.  30 is in a UHP G-Nobler, I'm thinking about putting the 56 in a Legacy ARC and the 72 was going to go into a Strega, but I'm not sure just what its going into at the moment. 

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Saito 40 - thanks Bob Reeves!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
Your welcome, as I said above...

Just happy the setup was able to be duplicated and that others are enjoying the benefits of my determination to make 4 strokes work.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 07:33:46 AM »
Hey Bob Reeves and all you 4-strokers:
I found a new prop I really like.  They have an 11-7 available you might want to try on the Saito 40. 
I sold my Patfinder so I am not running any 4-strokes at the moment or I would try it myself. 
The brand is Vess.  I got a 13-6 for my Stalker 61.  Made from a nice tight grain Beech wood, it came balanced, and pitch measures just under the stated 6,  like a 5.8 or 5.9.    Imagine that !

Here's a link for ordering, the 11" props are in the "Sport" section
http://www.vesspropellers.com/servlet/StoreFront

Here's another link where they have some interesting tech stuff about their larger RC line of props.
http://www.vessaero.com/
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Mike Callas

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »
Just to pile on Bob.
Bob reworked my Saito 40 and 56 carbs. My Saito 40 (pathfinder profile) now runs a whole tank with a constant speed. No sagging or lean run.
Can't wait to try the 56 on my Stucore!

Thanks Bob.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here