News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:40:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringing Saitos  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Ringing Saitos
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »
Anyone else noticed that when a Saito is really smokin and making the right power it has a ringing sound. Have heard it with all my Saitos from the 40 to the 62 and Joe Gilbert says the 40 on the T-6 does it. Wonder what it is, prop or ???

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: Ringing Saitos
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
When my Big Block is really cooking just right, it makes a slight spitting sound. Took a while to get used to it but, I know it means its running slightly rich which is just where I want it.

That is the advantage of being overpowered; I can throttle back and still have plenty of muscle. It also makes the runs very consistent because the Saito runs cooler. They last forever like this.

Some Saito's, especially the ones running a baffle, make that beautiful "phutta phutta" sound. Mine sounds like a Harley Davidson growl.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
I had a buddie that I rode with that rode a Yamaha Roadstar V-twin. He put long drag (open) pipes on the thing and it was loud as H*LL. I swear you could hear the exhaust valves closing! (pinging metallic sound). Hated riding behind him, my Harley still had stock mufflers which made the situation worse. This could be what your hearing from the little Saito?
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:56 PM »
Doug you may be right on, it is a metallic ringing sound. The 40 on the T-6 only does it when you have the needle and air screw set right at 8750 to 8800 RPM or there about?
Joe Gilbert

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:43:15 AM »

Could it be pre ignition?  This is more common on the OS 4S, never heard it on the Saito.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »
Could it be pre ignition?  This is more common on the OS 4S, never heard it on the Saito.

Martin

Don't think so, because it seems to show up when the engines are really set well and producing gobs of power. I really don't know but thinking from my hot rod days if it was pinging the engine wouldn't be happy. Sounds more like what a PA on a pipe sounds like when it's happy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here