News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:15:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One for Bob Reeves  (Read 2001 times)

Willis Swindell

• Trade Count: (0)
One for Bob Reeves
« on: September 06, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »
Bob
Here is of a picture of Jim Welch’s Saito 62 with a spin off of your adjustment screw. Very interesting, works good enough to put the engine back in the Magnum. Maybe Jim will chime in.
Willis

Offline jim welch

• Commander
Re: One for Bob Reeves
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 07:51:39 PM »
Bob......we played with the 62 with the adjustment screw today.Set the needle in the middle between rich (slight) and lean..then adjusted the screw to get the rpm  down.as we adjusted the screw in the motor went real rich.Adjusted the needle some to bring it back.flew it and it ripped my shoulder off 4.5 laps.Cranked the screw some more and flew it again .Was more in the ball park on that flight.Should we just crank in the screw and choke it down to the lap times that are slower?It was 20/20 fuel APC 13.6 prop on 65 foot lines with muffler pressure.RPM on the last flight was 9000 rpm.Does it need more prop load?I see the wisdom in the set up just need to learn more about adjusting it.Any suggestion is greatly appreciated  Thanks  Jim Welch.....
AMA 89335

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »
You are going the right way... Keep turning the choke screw in and readjusting the needle till you get it turning around 85-8600 with the needle properly set just on the rich side of peak. Then do the final adjustment for the desired lap times. Turning the choke screw in will always require turning the needle (leaner) in as opening it will require turning it out. You can do a little fine tuning with the needle but not much.

Hope this helps..

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 07:11:58 PM »
Thanks BOB...i'm beginning to see the wisdom in the set up. The point at which I stopped the last flight the screw was just entering the (zone) of adjustment  as they say and i think the next session will be more productive.I had it on a profile time machine and couldn't see down the throat of the intake to see how far the screw was protruding into the intake until a little while ago i pulled the motor and see the screw is in about 2 1/2 threads in and just starting to restrict it (answering Willi's question) about how far its in.The next adjustments in will definately bring it to a finer adjustment.Appreciate the help and will get the rpm down on the next try.8400 rpm on my other 62 on the strega seems rather close to perfect but will be much easier to fine tune appearantly with this modification.More to come as soon as the rain quits.  Thanks again ....Jim Welch
AMA 89335

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 07:58:21 AM »
This Saito 62 is swinging a CF 13 ~ 6 three blade at ~8400, 5.3 second laps on 63 foot lines. With a two blade 13-6 I would suspect you would end up with it choked down a bit further as the two blade would be easier for the engine to turn.

Way back when I first tried running a 56 I started with a 13-6 Bolly and a wide open Dixon intake. It ran OK but when the wind picked up it was doing about 90 at the bottom of the vert eight. Might be on the look out for any tendincy to wind up and don't hesitate to go up in pitch or to a 3 blade if your prop doesn't provide enough load.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here