News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:19:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Older OS 80 2S, double plug. Anyone ever use this engine?  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Older OS 80 2S, double plug. Anyone ever use this engine?
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
I have an older OS 80 2S, Double plug engine.

Anyone ever use this engine? I'm thinking this OS 80 instead of an OS 90 4S, that I have.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Older OS 80 2S, double plug. Anyone ever use this engine?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
In its day, the OS .80 was used primarily by the RC Scale people.  It was derived from the OS 60 H where there were two versions, the  configuration similar to the 80 with the rear drum and the other with the front intake.  These engnes came out in the late 60's, received some upgrades in the 70's and I think were the last of the non-Schneurle OS engines. The .80 appeared some time ofter the .60's.  All were good engines for the time.  I do not know of anyone using any of these engines for CL Stunt.  I used the 60 rear drum version in a CL scale model for a number of years spanning early 80's to 2000.  It was smooth and had plenty of power for what I needed.

There were Peter Chinn reviews in Model Airplane News on the .60 versions.

Keith
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:42:56 PM by Trostle »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:52:07 PM »
Seriously, I would want to weigh that lump before considering using it in a stunt model and I am taking a wild guess here that it could be 30oz +?
(And its not a four stroke either, but anyway. :))
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 03:38:27 AM »
That lump is going in a scale model. It does swing a large prop, which clearly I need. Here's the scale model the lump is currently in.

Firewall mount, so it wouldn't take much to do a mod. Plus, with that short nose, best to have the weight in the engine. Obviously it's not a 4S but the other engine choice I have is. OS 90 4S. The OS isn't light either.

Model is 55" in span.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:03:27 PM »
Seriously, I would want to weigh that lump before considering using it in a stunt model and I am taking a wild guess here that it could be 30oz +?
(And its not a four stroke either, but anyway. :))

The .60 version of these OS rear drum engines weighs 15 oz.   I doubt the .80 would be much over 20 oz if tht much.  Again, these engines were used by the RC people for scale models.  They can carry a big prop and they run fairly smooth.

Maybe CB can enlighten us as to what his .80 does weigh.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:42:51 PM »
The .60 version of these OS rear drum engines weighs 15 oz.   I doubt the .80 would be much over 20 oz if tht much.  Again, these engines were used by the RC people for scale models.  They can carry a big prop and they run fairly smooth.

Kieth,

I can do that!  18.3 ozs.

I have two actually. They were intended to pull a Bamboo Bomber, which I haven't built yet. Been trying to get around to that in twenty five years.

Here's all I have so far.

Cb

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:48:46 PM »
You will be suprised at how anemic those 80's were.
Dennis

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:35:08 PM »

Dennis,

Talk to me, give me voice.

Are you saying they would make better book ends and I should find something else to power the Z?

I need to know.

CB

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 02:41:22 PM »
The .60 version of these OS rear drum engines weighs 15 oz.   I doubt the .80 would be much over 20 oz if tht much.  Again, these engines were used by the RC people for scale models.  They can carry a big prop and they run fairly smooth.

Keith
Hi Keith,
              just looking at the OS Max web site concerning discontinued engines and it gives most of the older 60H motors as being over 20oz without muffler, sooo add the muffler and the extra beef for the bigger capacity and that's where my wild guess came from.

But If Charles says it weighs in at 18.3 then that's what it is but consider that the OS 80H is then lighter than a the LA 65 at 18.9oz and on par with the 61 FP and I find that odd when considering  double ball races on the crank, needle rollers on the rod and the rear intake setup.

Thanks.

P.S. There is a little control line info here -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185062
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
I have the original paperwork. Paperwork has the specs and the weight.

CB

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »
Hi Keith,
              just looking at the OS Max web site concerning discontinued engines and it gives most of the older 60H motors as being over 20oz without muffler, sooo add the muffler and the extra beef for the bigger capacity and that's where my wild guess came from.

But If Charles says it weighs in at 18.3 then that's what it is but consider that the OS 80H is then lighter than a the LA 65 at 18.9oz and on par with the 61 FP and I find that odd when considering  double ball races on the crank, needle rollers on the rod and the rear intake setup.

Thanks.

Well, the Peter Chinn articles on the OS 60H (rear drum) published in Model Airplane News (Jul 67 and Dec 69) lists the the OS 60 rear drum se at 14.9 oz.  I have four of these within a few tenths of an oz from the Peter Chinn published numbers except the one that has no exhaust restricter (coupled with the throttle) comes in at 14.4 oz.  These engines ran smooth and have a very effective throttle.  They carried a big prop on a heavy CL scale plane and had all the power that I needed.  Very dependable.  I would not hesitate using them on any suitable sized scale model for CL.   Hand starting was no problem with a cold engine and after it was broken in would start easily when warm.

I am not sure, but I would suspect that the front intake 60 versions of these engines weighed more than the rear drum versions.

I have no experience with the 80 version, but do know that it was used in the RC scale arena in its time.  No, these engines do not have the power of more modern similar sized schnuerle engines, but for scale operations, they worked just fine.

I would be interested on what Dennis Lipsett based his "anemic" comment.

Keith

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 02:29:03 PM »
I have the original paperwork. Paperwork has the specs and the weight.

CB
Hey Charles, I happily stand corrected mate!

But you would have to admit that an older design with double plugs, double rings, rear intake drum and housing, brass barreled carby on the RC version, needle race on the big end and a baffle topped piston actually weighs the same as a more modern engine like the LA 65 with its plain bearing, front intake, ABC engine that is smaller in capacity!
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
As I mentioned in my last post, I think those OS rear drum engines were lighter than their front rotor counterparts because the crankshat was significantly lighter.  It was not as long and probably smaller in diameter because it did not have to have the intake passage machined into it.  This also probably results in smaller diameter bearings and a comparitively smaller front shaft housing.  My thoughts based primarily on observation.

All in all, they were nice engines for thier time.

Keith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »
That Martin Baker looks great!

Static prop or working prop?

Other specs please?

Really nice model. Kudos.

CB

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 01:42:18 PM »
Dennis

Having used that engine when it was a currently produced product i can reasonably assume that even then there was a decded difference of opinion on what constituted a powerful engine. Granted the engine could handle a 14 inch prop but so could a Fox 78 and a ST 71 and I assure you that the OS was not the leader of the pack.
Dennis

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »

Having used that engine when it was a currently produced product i can reasonably assume that even then there was a decded difference of opinion on what constituted a powerful engine. Granted the engine could handle a 14 inch prop but so could a Fox 78 and a ST 71 and I assure you that the OS was not the leader of the pack.
Dennis

Dennis, I can easily agree with that.

Has OS ever been the leader of the pack?

I believe I might just rethink the engine for that Gee Bee Z.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the input.

CB

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
That Martin Baker looks great!

Static prop or working prop?

Other specs please?

Really nice model. Kudos.

CB

The Martin Baker MB 5 is 1/10 scale (42 inch span, about 45 inches long).  Powered by the OS 60 H rear drum version.  For static display, the counter-rotating prop was functional.  For flying, it used a conventional two-blade prop/spinner.  Non-retracting gear.  Main gear and tail wheel are shock absorbing.  Full swiveling tailwheel.  Operating flaps.  Controls in the cockpit operated the elevators, rudder and ailerrons.  For flight, the rudder and ailerons were hooked up to the throttle so for high speed, there was neutral rudder and ailerons, for low speed, it had right rudder and right ailerons.  Sliding canopy.  Running lights on wing tips and rudder could be turned on and off from the handle.  In flight operating shutter on the bottom air scoop.  5 lines.  Weighed just over 60 oz.

Placed in Precision Scale at the Nats - 3rd in 79, 2nd 96, and 1st in 2000.  Received highest static scores in each of these three Nats.

Thanks for asking.

Keith

The model is currently in the AMA museum in Muncie.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
Keith,

Thanks for that info.

5 lines! Could you do all that with U/tronics?  ;D

I have a scale model, just starting to build, that will have throtle, flaps, and I'm thinking retracts.

Adding rudder at slow speed is cleaver, or is everyone doing that?

42" isn't big but I'll bet it was a bunch to handle with all that going on?

Kudos on that Nats thing. How could you give that model up? Takes courage. Good for you.

What's on your bench?

CB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here