News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:57:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New saito fa 56 cl  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Greg Howie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
New saito fa 56 cl
« on: August 22, 2009, 02:54:28 AM »
I was wondering what models would be a good match for this saito 56 cl engine I got for my birthday. I have never even ran a 4 stroke engine. Would this be to much for a brodak p 40 ? I was kind of thinking about using it on a biplane and was wondering which Williams bros radial model would match it best ? Any thoughts or experience with this engine would be a presheated. thank you

ps dose this engine fit in to any other engine mounts like a st 60 or a st 51 ?
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: New saito fa 56 cl
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 06:40:35 AM »
Brodak 40 compaired to a Saito 56 is like compairing a Chevy 283 to a 427, the Saito will fly a much bigger airframe. I haven't done it but a couple guys put 56's in the RC Ultimate Bipe converted to CL. Not sure who sells the ultimate but a search on Tower's site might find it.

Offline Greg Howie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »
Now that sounds interesting . How did that turn out ? performs well and weight not a problem ? I hope !  I had plans to do that with an st 51 . do you know if the saito will bolt in to some other mount pattern say like for a st 60 or some other popular engine or is it specific to that engine ? What is the crank thread ? Do they make an adapter that goes from , what ever it is 7 mm x 1 mm to a standard 1/4 28 to fit a spinner to that engine or you just use a plastic job instead ?
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 05:10:01 AM »
Can't help on the bipe, no first hand experience, also never tried to put a larger Saito in another engine's mount all my airplanes were built for the engine with the engine in hand and never paid attention. Only ones I know about are the Saito 30 is the same bolt pattern as the 20-25 FP's and the 40 is the same as the TT 36.

You can use a plastic spinner and I have airplanes with plastic spinners even though I try to avoid them when I can. Had one come apart on a Saito 40 and sometimes prop clearance can be problematic especially with the Dubro. SIG makes one that they advertise as suitable for APC props and I have had good luck with them.

My preference is the Brodak aluminum spinners although it takes a little work to adapt them to the larger engines. I drill out about half the 1/4-20 threads in the adaptor nut and re-tap it for the engine shaft leaving the front half 1/4 -20 for the spinner screw. You will need to use what is commonly called a bottoming tap to cut the threads all the way to the bottom of the hole. Don't use the large aluminum prop washer that comes with the spinner, install the Saito prop washer and steel nut as normal then replace the lock nut with the spinner adaptor. The Saito shaft is plenty long enough.

If you have access to a lathe and want to get real fancy you can turn a taper on the shoulder of the spinner adaptor so it will fit like the original lock nut. I even go so far as to slot the end basically duplicating the Saito lock nut on the end of the adaptor. Not sure it's really necessary I do it simply because I can.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 08:27:02 AM »
The Evo 36 is a perfect fit for the Saito 40.
Willis

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
Stringjobs

A great match up if your just getting back into CL or flying mostly for the fun of it
until you learn the pattern, Like me.

Saito .56 CL   >>>> Top Flight  Score CL Airplane.

I belive Bob has had this setup and a few other people and it worked out fine.
The Score is on sale at www.towerhobbies.com

Bryan
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 06:07:25 AM »
Yes the Saito 56/Score is an excellent combination, was my first larger 4 stroke combination. Have recently given the original away and am putting together another one.

The covering and controls suck but the basic airframe makes for a great stunt ship. Reason I'm putting together another is the first one is oil soaked from the poor covering not protecting it well enough. Thought it would be better to start with a fresh kit than try to fight the oil. Gave it away to make it someone else's problem.

This time I'm going to completely strip it, paint the fuselage and cover the flying surfaces with Ultrakote. Like the first going to install all Tom Morris controls and mount the Saito on it's side. Makes for a great back-up ship for flying in stuff you don't want to risk your #1 ship in.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:33:36 AM »
Yes the Saito 56/Score is an excellent combination, was my first larger 4 stroke combination. Have recently given the original away and am putting together another one.

The covering and controls suck but the basic airframe makes for a great stunt ship. Reason I'm putting together another is the first one is oil soaked from the poor covering not protecting it well enough. Thought it would be better to start with a fresh kit than try to fight the oil. Gave it away to make it someone else's problem.

This time I'm going to completely strip it, paint the fuselage and cover the flying surfaces with Ultrakote. Like the first going to install all Tom Morris controls and mount the Saito on it's side. Makes for a great back-up ship for flying in stuff you don't want to risk your #1 ship in.

What is the ready to fly weight of this combo ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »
Mine started at 64 ounces, when I put it away last fall it was up to 68 and still flying well.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here