News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:45:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Models for Saito 30  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Models for Saito 30
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:33:37 PM »

I just got my Saito 30 from Ebay. Got it for $ 125 and it seems unused.

Now I  have been thinking about what to build for it.  What models are out there flying with a Saito 30 ?

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Models for Saito 30
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:40:58 AM »
Hey, Martin. Since the SAITO .30 is my all-time favorite engine, I have built and flown a number of different airplanes powered by them.

In general, any smaller plane designed for a 35 will work. My favorite is the Argus, a superb model that weighs around 42 ounces and flies with the best of them.

I recently put one on the Cardinette and it flew as close to perfect as I could want. That may well be the best plane for the 30 - time will tell.

If you like profiles, build the Sterling Mustang for the 30. It will also do well on a Flite Streak.

A few years back, I designed the Little Cherokee, patterned after my own personal aircraft. It's roughly Nobler size, has a quadruple taper dihedral wing and is a great flyer.

Bob Z.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 04:06:14 PM »
how about a Panther.
Willis
38oz.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:38:07 AM by Willis Swindell »

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
Hey, Martin. Since the SAITO .30 is my all-time favorite engine, I have built and flown a number of different airplanes powered by them.

In general, any smaller plane designed for a 35 will work. My favorite is the Argus, a superb model that weighs around 42 ounces and flies with the best of them.

I recently put one on the Cardinette and it flew as close to perfect as I could want. That may well be the best plane for the 30 - time will tell.

If you like profiles, build the Sterling Mustang for the 30. It will also do well on a Flite Streak.

A few years back, I designed the Little Cherokee, patterned after my own personal aircraft. It's roughly Nobler size, has a quadruple taper dihedral wing and is a great flyer.

Bob Z.

Hi Bob,

Nice models you have there! The Cardinett would be awesome, wished the ARF was ready for sale.

Does any one sells the Argus Kit?

The Sterling Mustang you mention is this one ?
http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=8109

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »
how about a Panther.
Willis

Hi Willis,

what size is the Panther?  I like the lines and it seems it has a good wing.

Martin

Willis Swindell

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
Hi martin
This is the Midwest Panther, there was a earlier Kenhi one. I guess it has about a 500 sq. in. wing and weighs 38 oz.
Willis
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:07:25 PM by Willis Swindell »

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:27:12 AM »
Martin - yes, that is the Mustang I was referring to. I built mine with fixed flaps and it was a fine flyer.

I do not know of a kit for the Argus but it is easy to scratch build.

Same for the Cardinette - I built the prototype in one week. See my article in CL World. Brodak sell the plans.

Bob Z.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »
 The Panther would be awfully big for the .30 unless your the world's lightest builder. You would be wise to pick something else. y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
The Panther would be awfully big for the .30 unless your the world's lightest builder. You would be wise to pick something else. y1

I placed at Brodak's flying a 43 ounce Twister with a Saito 30, the Twister is 500 sq/in and 43 ounces isn't a light weight. I'm flying a 576 sq/in profile with a Saito 40 and it has power to spare. Please don't under estimate the power of a properly setup 4 stroke the old thinking that 4 strokes need to have more cubic inches to equal a two stroke simply isn't true in the stunt world. In fact I would bet one of my Saito 40's would fly anything an LA 46 would fly and do it just as well if not better.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »
 Point taken Bob, and a good one. H^^

Depends a lot on the build though, I'd wager a newer builder isn't likely to finish a Panther anywhere under 45 ounces. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' ;D :##  
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »

Thank you all for messages

After looking at so many great models, I have decided to built a RingMaster +P 

Martin

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 05:29:20 AM »
Good choice.. If you have any questions on getting that 30 to run post them here. Am sure Bob Z or I can help.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 02:54:17 PM »
thanks Bob, I certainly will need help and  apreciate your offering.

Today I had the pleasure of meeting Serge Delabarde,  what a nice fella! He is from FAI and  came down to visit us to see how we run a contest. Hopefully one year the World Champ will be down here.  As you are aware he uses Saito 4S engines. His technics are quite different. He uses a unique Uniflow Metal Tank and his prop have 7 pitch at the middle and decrease to like 3.5 at the tip, at least that's what I understood.

He mentioned that he polish the internal components of his engines and replace the ball bearings, in his own words the stock bearing are no good.

I will try to get a drawing of his fuel tank and post here just in case some one wants to try it.

Martin

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
It is interesting that you mentioned Serge in that, I was just watching him rock and roll on my videos yesterday. I also have a building photo sequence of his Yak.  I know that that he and a lot of the French were rolling up in the joint with verrry long rear moment ships. 

Consequently, from time to time, I like to pop in my videos and remind myself of their flights.  These ships, ( Remi, Serge etc) are very highly specialized ships and supposedly cannot take very much weight. That said, they win a sh&*load of contests and that’s whats counts!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here