News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: JXF Eletric Props  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
JXF Eletric Props
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:13:00 AM »
I am not going to endorse this prop but you guys should check the JXF Electric props. The 14x6 I have tried is actually thicker then a regular Top Flite from the center to about 1/3 way of the prop, then it starts to get thinner, as thin as I normally have my TF done any way.

Here is the thickness of the both props stock:

JXF-E     Top Flite Glow

Center @ Hub       0.502      0.474

1.5" from the hub  0.296      0.172 yes it is thinner here then @ the middle

middle                 0.170      0.193

Tip                     0.054       0.066

O.D of the Hub    0.950        0.909

Both props are made of beechwood. So I felt confident I could use this prop to replace the Top Flite 14x6 and did 4 flights with it. After testing quite a few props this one finally gave me better line tension on the overheads*(see note) then the Top Flite 14x6. Although the blades are a bit thinner the prop seems to load the engine almost the same way as the Top Flite 14x6

The leading edge comes accurately machined and the overall quality of this prop is in my opinion by far the best wood prop out there.

I had one problem though, the wood seems softer and as I fasten the prop nut I could feel the wood compressing and compressing. After two loose props when starting I got it tight enough and did 4 flights. After that I took the prop off and notice that the prop washer sunk in about 0.03" into the wood and some fibers had been sheared off at the edge of the prop washer.

Most guys here in Brazil install 4 1/8 aluminum pins around the hub area to avoid compressing the wood. I have never done that before and the idea of removing material from the hub of the prop is not something I'd like to do. At the other forum people suggest to sand off the clear and soak it with thin CA glue and that's what I will try to do next, if it doesn't work I will try the aluminum pins. Hopefully the other props are not so soft like this one I got.

Martin

Note: It is a long story, but I  am not using the Saito 72/Roque Venturi. This is on my OS 70 Ultimate w/ Bene's System. I end up selling my P-51 and the Saito 72 went back to the box and it will stay there for now. The Saito72/Roque Venturi burns a lot of fuel and  w/ Bene's system the OS 70 Ultimate saves me a lot of money. The plane I have been flying, a Super Tucano, was built in a hurry to go to Brodak last year and end up over 74oz. I have been suffering a bit on the hour glass, so I have been looking for a more efficient prop. My P-51 was lighter and with the Saito72/Roque Venturi -Top Flite 14x6 I had huge line tension up there. Here I pay $50 a gallon of 20/20 and I can't afford the Roque Venturi  :-\
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
Re: JXF Eletric Props
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:17:32 AM »
This is the picture of the compressed one.

Martin

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:49:15 AM »
Saw your other post on these props and they look good. Not sure what to think about the soft hub, have seen the aluminum stud trick but it was on Rev-Up props running on a Fox 59 long shaft. Did you say you also had a IC version? Wondering if the wood in it is the same as the electric.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »

As far as I know the wood is the same, beechwood, on both types of props from JXF. When I tried the regular JXF I had not the same problem.

Perhaps I got one prop, or a batch of them, with softer wood. Haven't messed with the second prop yet.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:00:14 PM »

Carl Shoup gave me a great tip. I removed the finish and soaked the prop with thin CA. It worked dandy. I was able to fasten the prop nut very tight and the wood did not compress as bad, by far.

Yesterday there was a local contest and this prop did help me get a better score.

The winds were from 10 to 14mph and the prop worked pretty well. I was able to hit the corners harder and had better line tension on the over heads.

Martin

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »

I should note that I did the CA treatment only at the hub and not the whole prop.

Martin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here