News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:33:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: After Run Oil Question..  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
After Run Oil Question..
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
Just wondering what is the best way to put in the After Run Oil on a Saito .56. When the intake is barried inside the cowl, and no access to the oil outlet.  I'm thinking of putting it in through the exhaust while flipping backwards.. does any one do this?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: After Run Oil Question..
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 09:51:22 AM »
Through the exhaust will probably work OK. I put a piece of fuel tubing on the breather nipple, and run it outside the cowl. That way the oil going out during running is outside, and you can use the same tubing to run oil into the engine for after run. I use a small squeeze bottle filled with Rizlone to force oil into the engine through the tubing.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:53:40 AM »
Doesn't need to be put into the combustion chamber at all. I use a small bottle with a piece of fuel line attached. Hook up to the crank case breather fitting and turn the engine over by hand a couple times. It will suck in the oil and then spit some back out. Disconnect the bottle and turn the engine over for a second or two with an electric starter. This will distribute the oil everywhere it needs to be.

For long term storage (like years) I would remove the valve covers and make sure the top end is well oiled but for over the winter just do the above and you will be fine.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 11:11:46 AM »
The problem is that the oil breather nipple is not accessible cause it is hooked up to the intake tube. (as it recycles the oil and goes out the exhaust)  basically to keep the oil off the plane better..  so it only leaves the glo-plug and the exhaust.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »
And one reason why I don't care for that mod. You have no way to get after run oil to the bearings which will be the first parts to gum up and/or rust. Oiling the top end will not get the bearings. You can try putting it in the Cam breather, it might run down to the bearings if you hold it right.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
Come to think of it..  normally the fuel goes in the intake and it works its way to the bearings.   Putting the after run oil in through the exhaust, and spin the prop backward a few times should be like putting in through the intake going forward. then maybe hit it with the starter forward after the oil is in?  What do you think?   probably have to put a rag over the exhaust to soak up some of the oil..  

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:36:28 AM »
Oil gets to the bearings when it's running because it goes bang and oil is blown past the ring seal. If you just oil the top end it will either just run back out the exhaust or with enough oil and in the right position hydrolock with the chance of a bent or broken rod.

A small amount in the top end won't hurt and if you are running any castor might help keep the ring from freezing up but that is all it will do.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:13:17 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I guess I'll have to figure out a way to make the oil breather accessible directly for the after run oil.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 08:05:32 PM »
How about a  T-fitting to give access to the case breather outside the cowl? Might just let it dangle out the bottom and plug it off, or get fancy and use a "fuel dot".  :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
How about a  T-fitting to give access to the case breather outside the cowl? Might just let it dangle out the bottom and plug it off, or get fancy and use a "fuel dot".  :! Steve

I've thought of that too, but the intake side needs to be piniched off while putting the oil in,  just have to figure out how to access it without having to take the cowl off.. or maybe run 2 brass tubing out (from intake / cam cover), then use a U fuel tubing etc. but this adds weights tho. :(

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 07:42:46 PM »
Maybe you could reach in with forceps and pinch off the line from the "T" to the venturi? I thought about putting in a check valve, but then it wouldn't suck oil presidue out of the case breather. Still, I don't see anything wrong with letting some of the after-run oil into the venturi...hit the spinner with the starter and your Saito is winterized... ;D Steve

Edit: You could also arrange a 'shutoff' type gizmo to shut off the line to the venturi only when you want to. But I still think you'd do fine to flip the model upside down, squirt some oil into the T-fitting access hose, and hit the spinner with the starter. Whether the oil goes into the venturi or into the case, it will go into the engine, which is the objective.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:41:30 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
Maybe you could reach in with forceps and pinch off the line from the "T" to the venturi? I thought about putting in a check valve, but then it wouldn't suck oil presidue out of the case breather. Still, I don't see anything wrong with letting some of the after-run oil into the venturi...hit the spinner with the starter and your Saito is winterized... ;D Steve

Edit: You could also arrange a 'shutoff' type gizmo to shut off the line to the venturi only when you want to. But I still think you'd do fine to flip the model upside down, squirt some oil into the T-fitting access hose, and hit the spinner with the starter. Whether the oil goes into the venturi or into the case, it will go into the engine, which is the objective.

I'm pretty sure the intake side needs to be pinched off, as the oil often comes back out from the breather outlet or cam cover.. (when cranked) then the oil will go all over the engine bay in the fuselage (very messy).  I think using a T and the forcep might just work.   H^^

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 07:54:51 PM »
Why not just put a pressure fitting into the backplate and cap it off when not in use?

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »
Why not just put a pressure fitting into the backplate and cap it off when not in use?

Sounds like a good idea. thanks!  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here