News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FIELD LINK PORTABLE PROGRAMMER FOR FLYING anyone use this?  (Read 3018 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FIELD LINK PORTABLE PROGRAMMER FOR FLYING anyone use this?
« on: February 07, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »
I was just on the Castle site and saw the field link portable programmer, has anyone used this? It seems like the useful setting is the governor gain and maybe the motor timing.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: FIELD LINK PORTABLE PROGRAMMER FOR FLYING anyone use this?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »
It does work at the field if you have a laptop, but in my experience is just as well used at home. It is nearly night and day switching a Castle esc from the R/C mode (default) to the C/L mode. Plus I changed the prop strike setting (i.e. Peak Amps), but only after I fried a motor on a noseover on take off. There is also what type of spool up and shut down you like. I only used it at home, and only twice for my last electric plane.
 At a larger meet once, my dad's setup was totally off and I forget which member here happened to have the link with him and saved my dad's bacon that day.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:50:57 AM by Shorts,David »

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 12:10:26 PM »
I think that he is interested in the blue tooth version of the link.  I have also been thinking about, much easier than having to bring a computer to the field.

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 07:41:32 AM »
I have the Castle field link programming card you are referring to. In my honest opinion it is a P.O.S. It isn't worth what it cost. Take a laptop to the field to get your plane set up,once you have it set to your liking you're done

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 09:20:39 AM »
I have the Castle field link programming card you are referring to. In my honest opinion it is a P.O.S. It isn't worth what it cost. Take a laptop to the field to get your plane set up,once you have it set to your liking you're done

Almost two up on that. I wouldn't quite use POS for the interface but definitely in sucks to have to take a laptop with you to trim / adjust in the field. That's why I don't use the Castle and have gone to Jetti Spin.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 12:12:31 PM »
Hello,

I probably should have posted my question about the Talon 35 here, but I have been using the blue-tooth enabled Castle B-link to program my ESCs at the field. It works and you have access to the same settings as you would if using the normal link along with you computer.  The beauty of this one is that it was work with a smart phone.  It is also easy to use.  At this time it does not allow you to look at the logged data; hopefully in the future.

Teo

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 03:55:52 PM »
Teo,
Can you adjust the rpm with it? That was the only thing you could not do with the old card unit.

Best,    DennisT

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »
Dennis,

Yes, this version of the link has the same functionality as the one which hooks up to a computer.  You can change RPM, change governing modes, battery counts, cutoffs, brake settings, etc.  The only thing that it cannot do at this time is upload the logged data.

I like it.  It can be a little awkward at first but it works well enough.

Teo

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 06:12:35 PM »
Is it available as a download from Castle? I assume it plugs into the timer connection and you use the ships battery to power the ESC during programing?

Best,   DennisT

Teodorico Terry

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 11:48:44 AM »
Dennis,

The software is available through Googleplay and it is free to download to your phone.  They have a version that works with I-Phones as well as Android phones.  The link itself connects to the ESC plug and it is meant to be connected between the ESC and receiver if you are flying R/C.  In our case the ESC simply plugs into it.  It is fairly easy to use and after playing with it for a few minutes it becomes intuitive.

Teo

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here