News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:46:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XOAR props  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Chris Belcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
XOAR props
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
I bought one of these and it seems to be a VERY nice prop. It was balanced perfectly right out of the package...I checked and checked cuz that dudn't happen often...nice finish, just a good looking prop. Pitch checked out well too. I got the 12-4 to try on an LA46 in a 48 oz Cardinal(ARC) I tried the APC 11-4 and it was great but heavy. I know the "heavy" can affect load, either good or bad, but just wanted to try some different props. Then I went to the web site and they are available in CF...man they really look great. Anybody use these?

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: XOAR props
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:35:17 AM »
I have used them,, they are great props well made,, and as you noted, balanced well also

My problem was finding a setup that my airplane liked,, on my attmepts,, they did not seem to have the same drive as the apc props,,
but my airframe was a bit heavier than optimal,, your mileage may vary,,
I bought several different sizes,, still have them, now I use them on my RC stuff, they are pretty efficient too
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
I just went back to their website and dug deeper...they have 3 blade beechwood, carbon fiber, composite, warbird series...incredible. Really just wondering why they're not the rave on this forum. Are they brand new on the market...has anyone tried the different series to find one good for stunt?

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
well...now I seet he CFs start at like 18" and go up...so I don't have anything that big in my stable. I do remember paying about 7 or 8  bucks for the one I have. Maybe that's why i don't hear more abou them?....anybody else?

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »
Chris,
You can also heat pitch the blades just like CF props. The way I do it is to use a heat gun, heat the root and twist the blade the way you want the pitch to go, check with pitch gauge. It takes a bit of time to let the heat sink into the wood, kinda like pitching an glow APC prop. Take you time as you heat it should not bubble the finish as you heat (add heat for save 30 sec then let it soak about 30 sec and go again, two shots should do it) once you get the pitch you want hold for a minute or so recheck. Once its pitched it will hold. I took one after pitching and put it on the dash board of my car in the sun for three days. I rechecked and the pitch was good.

Best,      DennisT

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »
that is quite an interesting idea,, never thought of trying that,, heat pitching a wood prop,,

as a side note,, the XOAR comes in a great selection of wood props,, most diameters from 10 up come in pitches from 4 up to 8 or so,, in one inch increments,,
though I could see some potential in repitching the tip for different traits,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Michael Massey

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
I too use the Xoar props, but the wooden only.  I tried a number of different props on my Evo 60's and have settled on the Xoar 13 x 6.  I have also switched to Xoar props on my LA46's.  I am now experimenting with 11 x 5 and/or 12 x 4 Xoar's on my LA46 planes.  Both fly the plane quite well but the 12 x 4 seems a little soft at the tops.  That may be trim because it is a fairly new plane so I am still experimenting.

As already mentioned, the Xoar's are very near "right on" balance out of the package.  They are light and well finished.  The just look like a quality prop.  The seem to have less "bite" than some of the others but once you have the right prop matched to the plane and engine you are flying, that does not seem like an issue.  My "impression" of the engine runs with the Xoar is that they are smooth and predictable.  I am flying Xoar's on both heavy planes and lighter planes.  (Yes, occasionally I do manage to build a lighter plane, albeit not often enough.)

I would certainly like to see them get the CF props down in the sizes I use.  But until then, give one a try.
Eagle Point, Oregon
AMA 914713

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 03:17:35 PM »
I'm using the "Vess" props and they are about the same as the Xoar's. Beautifully finished and balanced right out of the package. The Vess's come in smaller sizes than the Xoars. I'd be curious to see some one using a three blade "wood" prop.

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
RSM props are made by XOAR in PRC. You didn't realize they're made in China? I've bought some RSM props, but no XOARs so far. I do prefer to buy stuff made someplace other than China.

RSM's Eric Rule took a RevUp and an old TF paddle blade prop of the nominal sizes, averaged the chords, and pitch distributions, and submitted those specifications to XOAR. I have only used one RSM prop, and it was perfectly balanced. The sizes run 10-6, 11-6 and 12-5.5. The 10 and 11's are also more like 5.5" pitch, from what Eric told me at VSC...probably in '07. Unfortunately, I mostly have been running 4-ish pitch props on piped engines. But the 11-6 (ish) is supposed to work great on the OS .46LA, but I'd plan on about 5 oz of fuel capacity for most altitudes.   H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 08:05:22 PM »
RSM props are made by XOAR in PRC. You didn't realize they're made in China? I've bought some RSM props, but no XOARs so far. I do prefer to buy stuff made someplace other than China.

RSM's Eric Rule took a RevUp and an old TF paddle blade prop of the nominal sizes, averaged the chords, and pitch distributions, and submitted those specifications to XOAR. I have only used one RSM prop, and it was perfectly balanced. The sizes run 10-6, 11-6 and 12-5.5. The 10 and 11's are also more like 5.5" pitch, from what Eric told me at VSC...probably in '07. Unfortunately, I mostly have been running 4-ish pitch props on piped engines. But the 11-6 (ish) is supposed to work great on the OS .46LA, but I'd plan on about 5 oz of fuel capacity for most altitudes.   H^^ Steve
they may work there Steve,, but thats not really the best way to run an LA 46,, they are not as repeatable in the 4 2 mode,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Chris Belcher

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 08:41:28 AM »
So I used the Xoar 12-4 on my 48 oz Cardinal with LA 46 this weekend...GMA 5-22, FP 40 venturi...the smaller one of the 2 I got back in the 90s with the motor, 2 head shims, tigre needle, FP 40 backplate, thunder bolt RC long plug. It worked just like mentioned above...set off at 9400 rpm and ran in a wet 2. Very smooth with great pull right up to the over head eights and it felt softer than the APC 11-4 set at 9600rpm. The APC 11-4 did a really nice 4-2 break all the way through. Both took about 5 ozs for the pattern with 6-8 laps to spare. The APC seems to load better but the Xoar in the wet 2 was really sweet...right up to the oh 8s. May try a Xoar 11-5 next time, or cut the 12 to 11 1/2.  What effect does diameter have on overhead tension?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here