News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why muffler pressure?  (Read 4236 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Why muffler pressure?
« on: July 10, 2015, 04:02:34 PM »
      Hi All:

What are the advantages of running muffler pressure to the fuel tank in a CL plane that is to flown on suction?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Why muffler pressure?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 04:43:27 PM »
Hi Frank,

Running muffler to the uniflow vent really helps to steady and equalize the engine run.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:02:41 AM »
     Hi Bill:

Thanks for the reply.  I will fly two planes today with muffler pressure and then I will be able to determine for myself if there is an advantage.

I will get back to you about my findings.

Be well my friend,

Frank

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »
Muffler pressure adds to the effective fuel draw at the spray bar so there's less change in mixture through a flight during manoeuvres. Essentially you get the fuel draw of a small venturi but the extra power of a larger venturi. Personally I usually make first flights without pressure (to reduce complications with plumbing) and only add pressure if I'm not happy with the engine run.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 09:33:10 PM »
Another advantage if you fly on grass is in the winter when the grass is dry. With an open vent we've had grass bits from our field accumulate in the tank and then the craptrap, with the open vent being the only entry point. A line to the muffler makes it a closed system so no more bits piling in in the craptrap.

Also to help avoid this(and sucking it into the venturi), we crank the plane standing up and only set it on the ground while the pilot is putting the thong over his wrist.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »
Yes, keeping the tank/filter/spraybar cleaner is a major advantage. Also, assuming you're using a forward facing uniflow vent tube, muffler pressure or plumbing it into a constant pressure zone, you avoid richening going into the wind and leaning going downwind. That's a couple of major advantages.

The disadvantage...if you have constant troubles with muffler coming loose, holes in hoses, etc., you'll get a lean run when that happens in the air. DO NOT use a gasket under the muffler/exhaust stack. Lap both surfaces flat and bolt them together without any gasket or sealer. This may leak...but it will be consistent, which is ok.  Some people like it and some people don't. See if it works for you and decide for yourself! H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:55:39 PM »
As for crap in the system: it's also a good idea to put a filter over the venturi.  I have some fine-mesh nylon that's the same mesh size as pantyhose but is stouter (and it's purple!).  Use the right sized O-ring to hold it onto the venturi and you'll never have to mess with it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »
As for crap in the system: it's also a good idea to put a filter over the venturi.  I have some fine-mesh nylon that's the same mesh size as pantyhose but is stouter (and it's purple!).  Use the right sized O-ring to hold it onto the venturi and you'll never have to mess with it.
Somebody makes air filters that fit over the venturi, and I'd like to have a few. Anyone know where those can be bought?
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 11:58:26 PM »
Bru-Line used to sell them as did K&B for R/C car use. I don't think Bru-Line is still in bidness. I liked them, and have some filters, both coarse and fine. I'm not using them, either. I just asked the wife for an old pair of pantyhose, and got them without a lot of fuss, once I 'splained what I was going to do with them! I was not allowed to remove them, however.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline John Craig

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »
I have used the old pantyhose trick, but became unhappy as the nylon slowly broke down.  It would finally stretch down into the venture.

I now make a do-it-yourself Bru-line filter.  An O-ring that fits tight over the venture & the outside green foam pre-filter from the local small engine shop, over priced @ $5 but enough to make about 30 filters or more.  Cut an oversize circle of the fine 3/16 inch pre-filter, put it over the venture, hold it in place with the O-ring.  Put one on an OS FSR 25 at the beginning of this year's fly season, averaging 6-8 flights/week,  still working well.  (For you Northerners, that was  01Jan15)

Much more better by far than pantyhose! ~>

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 04:06:30 AM »
I have a piece of metal mesh taken from a Tettra air filter about 10 years ago. It's kept in place with 1/2" silicone tubing that also serves as venturi extension to keep places clean. I like it. I think it also makes engine run better, maybe some turbulence thing.
Where could I find more of similar mesh? L

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
     Hello All:

I tried running the engine in three different modes and the results were:

1. Uniflow with muffler pressure to uniflow vent.

2. Uniflow with uniflow vent open to the atmosphere and filler vent plugged.

3. Both uniflow and fill vent open to the atmosphere.

I could not see any difference in the way that the engine ran in these three modes.

I was my "pit man" who suggested that we try these different mods and he too concurred that he could not hear or see any difference in the way that the engine performed. Lol

Am I missing something? Lol

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »
I have a piece of metal mesh taken from a Tettra air filter about 10 years ago. It's kept in place with 1/2" silicone tubing that also serves as venturi extension to keep places clean. I like it. I think it also makes engine run better, maybe some turbulence thing.
Where could I find more of similar mesh? L

I don't know what your mesh looks like, but there are permanent coffee filters that are made of a fine stainless steel mesh that seems about the right size to me.

If you can find a lab supply house in your economic zone that sells to individuals, they'll have a huge selection.  In the US we used to have Small Parts, but they've been bought by Amazon and it's now impossible to distinguish mesh with a 32-inch grid from mesh with 32 wires/inch.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll check the coffee filters.
I have a good measuring microscope, I will try to measure my filter with it. Perhaps it's better to know what I'm looking for :) L

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 11:38:35 AM »
Hey Frank:

What engine, what run, and how were you checking for sameness?

If you're not trying for a stunt run it probably doesn't matter.

If you're running an engine tuned for a 2-4 break, I'm very surprised that you didn't notice a difference.  I would expect that without a uniflow tank, possibly running on atmospheric pressure, that you'd start with a good 2-4 break and end up in a solid 2.

If you're running an engine that needs a wet 2 run (i.e., an LA 46 the way it's typically run), then unless the difference is extreme the only way to tell is by timing laps.  My LA 46 generally speeds up from about 5.4 second laps to about 5.2 second laps over the course of a flight, with a non-uniflow clunk tank on muffler pressure.  I have a Tower 40 on a similar tank that speeds up about twice as much.  I would like the runs to be dead consistent.
AMA 64232

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 12:56:17 PM »
    Hi Tim:

Thanks for the reply.

The engines were both OS .35 Stunt engines

The engines were both tuned to a 4 cycle that would break into a 2 cycle during maneuvers and back into a 4 cycle during level flight.

I judged the speed by ear, line tension and what I perceived as rotational speed.

I was also advised to run my muffler pressure to the overflow and cap off the uniflow vent.  I thought that this would give nothing but a regular tank vent system ala the 50's so I did not try this.  Can you see any advantage in doing this?

Be well my friend,

Frank

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 08:01:59 PM »

What are the advantages of running muffler pressure to the fuel tank in a CL plane that is to flown on suction?

If you add static pressure, the fractional change in pressure as the the fuel runs out is lower, so change in mixture over the run is less. For old-style muffler 4-2 break engines, the exhaust pressure is an important adjustment. I can recall many happy hours experimentally plugging or opening holes in chip mufflers to get what I wanted.

Brett

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 08:42:16 PM »
Hi Brett,
             wouldn't the change in pressure (leaning without muffler pressure) benefit the way the pattern is written?

As in the latter maneuvers are likely to require a leaner mixture and thus more power?

Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 09:30:06 PM »
     Hello All:

I tried running the engine in three different modes and the results were:

1. Uniflow with muffler pressure to uniflow vent.

2. Uniflow with uniflow vent open to the atmosphere and filler vent plugged.

3. Both uniflow and fill vent open to the atmosphere.

I could not see any difference in the way that the engine ran in these three modes.

I was my "pit man" who suggested that we try these different mods and he too concurred that he could not hear or see any difference in the way that the engine performed.

Either you don't have very much pressure, or you have substantial leaks somewhere. If nothing else you should have a pretty good change in the needle orientation from pressure to no pressure.

Brett
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 06:12:31 PM by Brett Buck »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here