News:

• May 18, 2024, 08:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why is the Thunder Tiger GP42 such a good stunt engine?  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Why is the Thunder Tiger GP42 such a good stunt engine?
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »
Hello,
  I have found the Thunder Tiger GP42 to be amazingly good as a stunt engine. Slightly more power and every bit as good as an LA46. This coupled with better build quality (e.g. true ABC) makes this an excellent buy at a very reasonable price.
  It looks as though the engine is an FP40 clone, which has been slightly stretched in capacity. If this is so, why does it behave like an LA46, rather than the "difficult" FP40. Are the "numbers" for the GP42 very different from the FP40? I don't even know if the GP42 has a boost port, they have been so reliable and wear free, that I have never taken one apart, let alone put a timing wheel on one.

Just curious,

Andrew.

P.S. I suspect the odd venturi fixing has put people off!
BMFA Number 64862

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
Re: Why is the Thunder Tiger GP42 such a good stunt engine?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:16:04 PM »
Hello,
  I have found the Thunder Tiger GP42 to be amazingly good as a stunt engine. Slightly more power and every bit as good as an LA46. This coupled with better build quality (e.g. true ABC) makes this an excellent buy at a very reasonable price.
  It looks as though the engine is an FP40 clone, which has been slightly stretched in capacity. If this is so, why does it behave like an LA46, rather than the "difficult" FP40. Are the "numbers" for the GP42 very different from the FP40? I don't even know if the GP42 has a boost port, they have been so reliable and wear free, that I have never taken one apart, let alone put a timing wheel on one.

Just curious,

The Thunder Tigre 42 is not a clone of the FP 40, no parts are interchangable and it is not an ABC but an ABN. The box is slightly misleading.
That said it does not share the same timing as any of the OS engines and in fact has according to other
more interested users better timing more suited to our needs.
This does not mean that it is a great 4/2/4 engine but it is  a well behaved tractable powerplant. It holds a needle setting almost perfectly for the flight, starts instantly, and is almost a miser on fuel. And as you pointed out it has a little more oomph then the LA46.
It probably was not popular simply because of the requirement to go to .018 lines. I believe that those conditions have changed and it just might be time for more people to discover this powerplant.
I certainly like mine.
dennis
Andrew.

P.S. I suspect the odd venturi fixing has put people off!

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 02:55:57 PM »
Guys , i have to agree the gp42 has been a very good engine for me so far. I picked one up at a swap meet for 20 bucks almost new. I have a heavy built plane at 48 ounces and the 40fp would not carry it well. I drilled the case on the gp42 and added an os nva,venturi and mounted it on the heavy plane and it hauls it very well. I would definitely buy another!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 01:09:52 AM »
Andrew , good morning from another Brit' , living in France though.

Mind if I ask which NVA and Venturi you use on your GP42 please ?

After reading your post I'm keen to try one .

What mix of fuel does the GP prefer please as well ?

Much obliged ,

Robin.

Offline Mike Wada

• ACE
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 02:18:33 AM »
Aloha all,

I was wondering what props are you using with the TT 42?  This motor might be a possibility on a Tutor that I am refinishing with Silkspan over SLC. 

Best regards.

Mike Wada
Mike Wada
AMA 512393

Offline Mike Wada

• ACE
  • Ensign
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 02:26:56 AM »
Hi William,

I use the OS 40FP venturi and OS needle valve on My TT 42.  I have only run the motor on the bench, however the run with 11.25 X 4 Bolly 2 blade appeared to be very good.  Perhaps the TT 11 x 4.5 composite prop would be another on worth trying?

Best regards,

Mike Wada
Mike Wada
AMA 512393

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:25:09 AM »
Hello Robin,
  I use any fuel that is between 20 and 25% oil (Usually a mix of castor and synthetic) and 5% Nitro. As to venturis, I make my own and turn a flange part way up, so that I can utilise the oddball bolt down system! I just hate drilling a good engine, don't ask me why, everyone has their idiosyncrasies! The case hole has a taper of 3 degrees by the way. I use the props that most people use for the LA 46. If you don't mind drilling the case then Len Neuman can supply the venturi and Randy can probably do the same.

Dennis,
  Thanks for putting me straight on the fact that the GP 42 is not an FP 40 clone and also about the Chinese ones being ABN. I have a very early one made in Taiwan that does appear to have an ABC liner, but these must be very rare by now. I run my GP42s in a wet two, only occasionally played with a 4-2-4. The thing that amazes me about the GP 42 is how tolerant it is when it comes to running set ups. There just doesn't seem to be a sweet spot set up. I have got excellent runs from a whole bunch of props, it also doesn't seem to matter what plug I use as long as it is reasonably warm to hot. Similarly, the tank height doesn't seem to matter as long as its not stupidly high or low.
  In short it is a totally unfussy engine that will run the same start to finish with plenty of stunt power. It is this lack of criticallity that I find so amazing.

Regards,

Andrew.   
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 03:59:09 AM »
Andrew , good morning again.....

Very much obliged for the information.

I'll be on to e-bay toute suite as they say this side of the Channel !

Thanks again ,

Robin.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 06:16:26 AM »
Hello Robin,
  The reason I posted, was that I got yet another GP42 off the bay last week. This was NIB and I paid a whopping £35 for it. Tower Hobbies have them for $62.99, so it wasn't too bad! There is a used one supposedly in good condition, plus an FP 25, it is at £18 at the moment and is due to finish tomorrow evening.
  Hope you have success in getting one. It really is a surprising engine. I have to thank Dennis for putting me onto the GP42. I think that I must put a timing wheel onto a GP42, FP40 and an LA46 to see what the differences are.
  Dennis, hope you are reading this. I seem to recall that someone blocked the boost port on a GP42 (there, I must have known that it had a boost port!). Do you have any idea what this did for the engine? I can't believe it made it better, it is such a good engine stock!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »
Anyone got a weight figure for one of these? Without muffler. If it is under or around 8oz. that would be great.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 06:41:53 AM »
What does the GP42 weight after converted to c/l ?  
Website says 12.6 oz which is probably with muffler and RC carb.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 08:50:58 AM »
Hello Gordon,
  My GP42s, converted to C/L and complete with venturi, NVA and plug, weighs out at 8.5 ounces. So that isn't too far from your ideal. I am still curious as to why this particular engine is so stunt friendly. Are there any engine experts out there, who can shed any light on this?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 11:41:42 AM »
For information only. No Thunder Tigre engines are made on mainland China. They are and always have been made on taiwan.
I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would block the port on this engine, unless they only have a Fox 35 mentality and think all engines need this done.
It is almost totally benign no matter what prop you run. About the only thing I noticed was if you use too high an oil content your run suffers. It is not an old type of engine and will run perfectly well on 10/20 fuel. For convenience I use Powermaster 10/22 or Sig whichever is available at the time.
Dennis

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
Hello Gordon,
  My GP42s, converted to C/L and complete with venturi, NVA and plug, weighs out at 8.5 ounces. So that isn't too far from your ideal. I am still curious as to why this particular engine is so stunt friendly. Are there any engine experts out there, who can shed any light on this?

Regards,

Andrew.

Andrew

The TT 42 is an OK motor, it takes more to setup for CL than some others, but it is not as good , for the money, as a LA 46.
They are all made in Taiwan and all are nickle plated, although the TT nickle is far tougher and far better than the OS nickle, the plating is much thicker and pretty hard.
Thunder Tiger used to make Magnum engines before they made a plant in China and changed the entire line up of new designed Magnum engines. Magnum engines are Chromed

Regards
randy

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »
Is the Aero Tiger a reworked Thunder Tiger?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 05:46:08 PM »
Hello Randy,
  you comment that the GP42 is not as good as an LA46 for the money, takes me by surprise. What I am seeing is the reverse. The advantages that I observe with the GP42 are as follows.

1/ Rock solid engine run from start to finish, it is as good as my FP20s with BBTU.

2/ One (at most two!) flip starts.

3/ Relatively small changes in performance between choice of props (within reason).

4/ Very insensitive to tank height, makes the inside to outside performance almost a non issue.

5/ Can fly a somewhat heavier plane.

6/ 15 to 20% better fuel economy.

I am not making out that it is a world beater but the above advantages over the LA46 are real, some more than others. I have run three LA46s and three GP42s on a variety of planes. I got so intrigued, that I was swapping the two engine types between the same plane in the same flying session. Could be a good reason why my flying suffers, too much tinkering!
  There was no doubt in my mind that the GP42 was noticeably better on all counts, 5/ could be difficult to prove and may be subjective, but a flying friend tried the two engines on a porker and came to the same conclusion as myself. Now it is either a brave man or a fool who would argue with someone like yourself. I have used the setup that seems to be the consensus for the LA46 and found it to be an excellent budget stunt engine. I tried the GP42 a year or three ago, when Dennis made his original post (I just happened to have a new one on the shelf). My experience is closely in line with Dennis. Perhaps I need to look carefully at the LA46 setup that I am using, if I don't have that quite right, then it could account for our different perceptions. By the way, I made sure I was comparing like with like, even down to using the same silencer. When I convert my new GP42 I shall even use the same OS venturi, just to be sure.
  As far as cost is concerned, the Tower price for a GP42 is $63 and an LAS46 is $80. So by the time the GP42 has been converted to stunt, it may cost just a few dollars more. I would take the GP42 on quality grounds alone.

Regards,

Andrew.

P.S. If you think I have too many motors and planes for my own use, then you would be correct. I use the majority of "my" fleet to encourage local youngsters to take up control line stunt. I have even got some promising pilots and a couple who are actually building!

Andrew. 
BMFA Number 64862

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »
Thunder Tiger and Magnum. You would think that the confusion would have disappeared long ago. Thunder Tigre when they started in business got a contract with Hobby Shack to supply engines for them. Apparently there was a problem using the name Tigre at that time and Paul Bender, it was said,  named the new engines Magnum.
Thunder Tigre made engines for Hobby Shack for a few years and then for reasons unknown, perhaps the contract ended they no longer supplied H.S with product. Hobby Shack retained the rights to the name Magnum and went their own way to China to produce engines and Thunder Tiger by that time was able to market engines in the US under their own trademark.
Incidentally some of those early Magnums left a lot to be desired but they improved over the years.
My understanding is that one of the designers from OS left the company and went to work for TT. That would explain the similarity of their early designs to the OS line.
I had heard this statement from some that I trust to have some knowledge of the facts. If anyone else knows anything different, share it with us if it isn't a trade secret.
Dennis

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 09:56:52 PM »
Hello Randy,
  you comment that the GP42 is not as good as an LA46 for the money, takes me by surprise. What I am seeing is the reverse. The advantages that I observe with the GP42 are as follows.

1/ Rock solid engine run from start to finish, it is as good as my FP20s with BBTU.

2/ One (at most two!) flip starts.

3/ Relatively small changes in performance between choice of props (within reason).

4/ Very insensitive to tank height, makes the inside to outside performance almost a non issue.

5/ Can fly a somewhat heavier plane.

6/ 15 to 20% better fuel economy.

I am not making out that it is a world beater but the above advantages over the LA46 are real, some more than others. I have run three LA46s and three GP42s on a variety of planes. I got so intrigued, that I was swapping the two engine types between the same plane in the same flying session. Could be a good reason why my flying suffers, too much tinkering!
  There was no doubt in my mind that the GP42 was noticeably better on all counts, 5/ could be difficult to prove and may be subjective, but a flying friend tried the two engines on a porker and came to the same conclusion as myself. Now it is either a brave man or a fool who would argue with someone like yourself. I have used the setup that seems to be the consensus for the LA46 and found it to be an excellent budget stunt engine. I tried the GP42 a year or three ago, when Dennis made his original post (I just happened to have a new one on the shelf). My experience is closely in line with Dennis. Perhaps I need to look carefully at the LA46 setup that I am using, if I don't have that quite right, then it could account for our different perceptions. By the way, I made sure I was comparing like with like, even down to using the same silencer. When I convert my new GP42 I shall even use the same OS venturi, just to be sure.
  As far as cost is concerned, the Tower price for a GP42 is $63 and an LAS46 is $80. So by the time the GP42 has been converted to stunt, it may cost just a few dollars more. I would take the GP42 on quality grounds alone.

Regards,

Andrew.

P.S. If you think I have too many motors and planes for my own use, then you would be correct. I use the majority of "my" fleet to encourage local youngsters to take up control line stunt. I have even got some promising pilots and a couple who are actually building!

Andrew. 

Hi Andrew

I have tested both engines a good bit and did not find the 42 stronger or able to fly a larger heavier plane. I found just the opposite
As far as starting goes I had zero problems with 1st flip starts on both motors
You may have a better Thunder Tiger 42 than you have a OS 46, The ones I have ran and tested the OS also will turn a bigger prop or 3 blades props much easier. But it really doesn't matter If you have good results wit the 42 that is what counts, you can find good and poor examples of both these and many other engines.
Just enjoy whichever run well for you

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 10:00:47 PM »
Is the Aero Tiger a reworked Thunder Tiger?

Hi Dick

Yes and NO , it Depends on what you mean, there are many new custom made parts that go into an Aero Tiger that makes it a completely differant motor, and some of the stock parts such as the head are modified for stunt use in the Aero Tiger. It is also converted from a RC engine over to a true venturie setup C/L motor and uses a PA NVA. along with a new differant bearing set. CR ratio and timing

I also rework/retime and setup Thunder Tiger 36s for stunt
Regards
Randy

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 01:12:43 AM »
Andrew , good morning from a sunny Charente.

May I ask please : Do you ever offer your venturis for the GP 42 for sale to other flyers ?
Like you , I don't enjoy drilling 'cases !

If you do , may I ask if I may purchase one from you.

If you only make them for your own use , I fully understand.

Your post has made a lot of us pretty 'excited' regarding this engine. I had no idea it was that good.

I've been an admirer of the TT36 for ages and it is a great 'out of the box' sport stunt engine.I agree with you regarding the build quality of TT engines.They are excellent if my 36 is anything to go by.

I hope I don't cause any offence in asking if you sell your venturis.

Great job starting this post , lets hope it runs and runs.

Regards from S.W.France [ full of ex-pat Brits ! ]

Robin.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 06:26:27 AM »
Hello Randy,
  Thank you for your response, I have never tried a 3 blade prop on either engines (They tend to be expensive and with youngsters flying the planes, broken props are fairly common!). Excuse me for appearing to be a stubborn in my claims for the GP42. I was an experimental physicist in a past life and I try to be scrupulously honest when doing any back to back testing. If you found the GP42 didn't fly heavier planes, then I accept that as fact. My comments on the topic were subjective (and I hope I made that clear). Everything else, I stick to, it isn't easy to dispute things with someone so much more experienced than myself! The differences are not huge, but definitely there, at least on my engines. Perhaps you would be kind enough to spell out the best set up for an LA46 in say a Cardinal. I like a constant speed run rather than a 4-2-4. I currently run a standard FP40 venturi (.285")with OS NVA, APC 11x4 (rough field!), launch at about 10,300, Enya no3 plug and standard muffler, oh and plastic clunk tank. For fuel I am using 5% nitro and 22% oil, the oil is 50% castor and 50% synthetic. Maybe this doesn't suit the LA46 too well ? I am more than happy to try out any suggestion. I realise that I could improve things with a lightweight tube muffler and maybe a cut down APC 12.25x3.75 prop, but I would run into lots of "pecking" on the field we use.
  I am just plain curious as to the differences I am seeing! The chances of 3 dud LA46s and 3 extra good GP42s are pretty unlikely. Maybe the setup I am using just favours the GP42? Perhaps I should just stop fretting and enjoy life!

Best Regards,

Andrew. 

BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 06:38:07 AM »
Hello Robin,
  I would be more than happy to make a venturi for you. Unfortunately this is likely to take some time. I have just finished building a modelling workshop. I have yet to get any power to it and my lathe is dismantled, with the bed away for a regrind. My wife insists that I finish her summerhouse
before I do anything else! To cap it all, the original workshop area has been taken over by my wife for her sewing! Being realistic, it may be 2 or 3 months before I am up and running. If you can wait that long, I can certainly let you have a venturi for free. I need another one myself, so it is no real problem except for the delay.

Regards,

Andrew.

P.S. This retirement business is not all it is cracked up to be, I don't know how I ever had time to go to work!
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
Andrew , that's VERY generous of you.....I'm much obliged.

I'd be delighted if you could make me a venturi , when you're in the process of making another for yourself.

I'm in no hurry whatsoever. I would like however to compensate you for your trouble . After all , the postage to France won't be cheap.

Please allow me to send you the cost of the venturi and postage when you're ready.
We do have a UK bank account , so I could forward you a cheque [in sterling] by post.

My e-mail address is : robinchristine@msn.com

Our address is :

Robin Holden,
BEL AIR ,
FONTBUREAU ,
16390 ,
MONTIGNAC LE COQ ,
FRANCE.

Again , no hurry whatsover. Whenever it's convenient for yourself.

Agree with you about retirement. I retired to France in '97. Never been so busy !!

Kind regards ,

Robin.

p.s Just got back from our club. The wind got up and changed direction on take off and .... bingo .... one 'pranged' airplane. Thankfully it's a profile job so I can effect a simple repair putting the two parts of the fus' back togetether ! Tant pis as they say. 

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »
Hello Randy,
  Thank you for your response, I have never tried a 3 blade prop on either engines (They tend to be expensive and with youngsters flying the planes, broken props are fairly common!). Excuse me for appearing to be a stubborn in my claims for the GP42. I was an experimental physicist in a past life and I try to be scrupulously honest when doing any back to back testing. If you found the GP42 didn't fly heavier planes, then I accept that as fact. My comments on the topic were subjective (and I hope I made that clear). Everything else, I stick to, it isn't easy to dispute things with someone so much more experienced than myself! The differences are not huge, but definitely there, at least on my engines. Perhaps you would be kind enough to spell out the best set up for an LA46 in say a Cardinal. I like a constant speed run rather than a 4-2-4. I currently run a standard FP40 venturi (.285")with OS NVA, APC 11x4 (rough field!), launch at about 10,300, Enya no3 plug and standard muffler, oh and plastic clunk tank. For fuel I am using 5% nitro and 22% oil, the oil is 50% castor and 50% synthetic. Maybe this doesn't suit the LA46 too well ? I am more than happy to try out any suggestion. I realise that I could improve things with a lightweight tube muffler and maybe a cut down APC 12.25x3.75 prop, but I would run into lots of "pecking" on the field we use.
  I am just plain curious as to the differences I am seeing! The chances of 3 dud LA46s and 3 extra good GP42s are pretty unlikely. Maybe the setup I am using just favours the GP42? Perhaps I should just stop fretting and enjoy life!

Best Regards,

Andrew.  

Hi Andrew, I tend to be very honest also in my test and evaluations. I also chart and graph engines for HP and Torque, the 46 produces more.
I have not ran any engine in a Cardinal, and I don;t typically run a wet 2 cycle as you are doing, but I would think a good setup for the 46 would be the 12 x 4 Pro Z or the 12.25 x 3.75 APC prop you are using now, I would add 1 extra head shim to the 46 and launch the plane just as the needle sets the plane into the richer side of a solid 2 cycle, When the plane launches it should ,within 1 lap unload and drop to a wetter 2 stroke, If it sags at the tops of maneuvers add a little more nitro, if it speeds up and charges thru the maneuvers, drop the nitro percentage. The 46s I setup always use a front NVA and are very honest and easy to get a good setting on.
Other props they would well on are 12.5 x 5 , and 12 x 4 wide blade props.
I set them up using a T Bolt RC long , Merlin 2004, or Glo Devil # 300  plug, The fuel your are using will work OK in an OS engine

If the GP works better for you plane then as I mentioned earlier , use it, You can not go wrong with a motor your happy with!

One question, are you also buying the 46s used off of Ebay?

Regards

Randy

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »
I had Glen Dye check mine out when he converted it to CL stunt use. Hlen reported to me that the timing was essentially the same as the Magnum .36. Probably, if true, the reason why it does the job so well.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »
Hello Randy,
  Thanks for the advice on the 46LA setup, I will give it a try and report back. Only problem is that my normal field precludes the use of a 12 inch prop and I normally use the APC 11x4.5, anything bigger and I am grinding the prop tip on take off, or worse. I do have the use of a smoother field some distance away and I can try the 12.25x 3.75 APC there. I forgot to add that I am using an extra (OS) head shim, I also use the conventional front NVA.
  I have only purchased one used engine and that was an LA 46. Don't know why I did it because a new piston / liner and con rod went straight in it and cost more than a new one! I have ebayed a GP42 and LA46, but both were totally unused.
  It will take me a little time to get the required prop, but will report back.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 10:18:51 AM »
Hi Andew

The 11 inch prop you say you use is a problem for the 46, that prop would be more suitible for a GP 42 running in a 2 cycle than it would be for a 46, it is too little load for the 46, so that maybe one reason you didn't like the 46. The larger 12.25 diameter prop will work much better for you

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here