News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the difference?  (Read 757 times)

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
What is the difference?
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:46:23 AM »
I recently aquired a box full of engines from a friend who has quit the hobby. Does anyone know the differece between the Magnum XL and XLS engines other than the XLS has a blue head. I have a .40 and a .25 that are the Xl model and a .15 and .52 that are XLS with the blue head.

Don

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: What is the difference?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
In the 15 for sure, it has more power than the plain head.  Don't know what they did but whatever it is they did it right.

The blue head engines are all the newer version.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »
Not all the XLS models have a blue head. As far as I know, the .15 and .52 are the only ones. What they generally have, I think, is the head sitting flush atop the cylinder, instead of sticking down into the cylinder. I'm not sure I approve of this, but it does allow shortening the cylinder which saves some weight and makes the engine shorter and more compact. They also have a little bit of the "weedeater" look. I have an XLS .52, but haven't popped the head off. I've been running an XLS .36 this past year...nice engine. I haven't been keeping a log, but I had so many one-flip starts over the summer that it's just silly. Then there was the one start without the battery...on an official.  I hope they'll bring them in again (the XLS .36), but it looks like maybe the ASP version is still available via Just Engines in England. Same engine, different brand name. :P  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Don Curry AMA 267060

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:20 PM »
I have not disassembled any of the magnums but I can see that on the blue head engines the head does sit on top of the liner where the natural aluminum heads sit much lower on the block. I will use the .15 soon on a clown so I can compare it to a LA0.15 and an Enya III .15 that I am currently using.. Thanks for the information.

Don

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »
FWIW, our local combateers tried an XLS .15 with a big venturi, 7-3 APC's, and high rpm, on "buy-tech" F2D combat models for NW's 80mph Combat. They didn't get quite the speed needed with the stock XLS .15, had Henry Nelson do a little work on it, and promptly puked the crank. Moral of the story is keep the revs down to about 20k. Probably not for Clown Racing...    n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here