News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline scott bolton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
What is it?
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:27:16 PM »
   Hi all, I Have two cylinder heads for a fox35 that have the name RANGER stamped on the inside. Does anyone have any information on these heads? Just wondering what the deal was with them and if their was something special about them. Please help if you can.THANKS AHEAD GENTS, SCOTT BOLTON  H^^
keep em tight !

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:45:12 AM »
Hi Scott - Ranger heads were the first heads used on Fox stunt 29 and 35 engines, came in both 4 and 6 bolt configurations.  They are lower compression than the later wedge head, and a lot lower compression than the current aftermarket hemi heads.  Very usable for smaller airplanes, with a gentle break, and not as much top end as a wedge.  They can be absolutely sweet in a light, small airplane when set up to run in a 4/4 style, where the engine runs in a deep 4 cycle most of the time, only giving little chirps of 2 stroke firing over the tops of the maneuvers.  It's the same style of run as is presently used with the big block Aero and Ro Jett stunt setups. It gives a less harsh break than a present day squish band head.  They give the same operating benefits for stunt as all of the rest of the hemi head styles that came later, provided the engine displacement is bigger than customary for the weight and size of the airframe. 
  In that sense, they were years ahead of their time.  They were out of production early, about 1951 or so, so can be hard to find on the swap meet circuit.  The Ranger logo was the name of the job foundry where they were cast.  My guess is that the wedge head came out when Fox developed the ability to cast parts in house.  All of the above is not to say that many guys ran stunt Foxes in a 4/4 style in the early days.  Stunt in that era was flown as fast and low as possible, with 25% or so nitro, and a full power lean needle setting.  If some sharpshooter wants to buy them, I'll beat his price.  Tom H.

Offline scott bolton

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:57:03 PM »
  HEY TOM, sure is good to here from you my friend. Thanks alot for the info on the old fox/ranger heads. Not sure what to use the with in the way of aircraft might use them on a super clown with one of my 35's. By the way just a real BIG thanks for all the encouragment at huntersville this fall. We have been blessed to meet up with some fantastic people this past summer. Well TOM Thanks again for your help!!!  Scott.
keep em tight !

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 07:49:20 AM »
Hey Scott -= Super clown is a little small.  Try a Squaw or so.  Tom

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
I have one of these early 6 bolt heads (+ a '51 Fox .35) and wondered the same question.
I plan on using the crankcase for a "Hi-Zoot" build some day. Too bad the HZ cranks are no more.

p.s.- It's RANGERS (pl) and they're still in business!

http://www.rangersdiecasting.com/
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
I have one of these early 6 bolt heads (+ a '51 Fox .35) and wondered the same question.
I plan on using the crankcase for a "Hi-Zoot" build some day. Too bad the HZ cranks are no more.

p.s.- It's RANGERS (pl) and they're still in business!

http://www.rangersdiecasting.com/

Hi Douglas

I am not sure who told you that the cranks are no more...but that is not true, I have many in stock, there is about 50 left out of the last run of a 100

Regards
Randy

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »
I got the impression over at SSW a while back that after the last run there would be no more, ie- sold out. Glad to here it ain't so!! My payday's coming  ;)
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here