News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:20:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Webra .61 ?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Webra .61 ?
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:39:15 AM »
Anyone have any experience with a Webra .61 engine?

A friend recently gave me one of these engines and I know nothing about it. 

It's an R/C version w/ carb and appears to be in excellent condition.  I don't know it's vintage.

Would it make a good C/l engine for a larger plane if it set up properly?  Can it be set up for C/L requirements?  What size venturi might work best?

Thought I would give it a try on something if it was a worthwhile endeavor.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Messinger

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Webra .61 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 02:21:17 PM »
Joe - there are at least two Webra 61s. Which one do you have?

Photo would help.

Bob Z.

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 02:49:54 PM »
Bob,

There's not much in the way of identifying marks on this engine.  Just says "Webra-Austria" under the cylinder (exhaust side) and "WEBRA-61 on the opposite side.

The cylinder has cooling fins all the way down to the crankcase.  Six (6) bolt head.  Looks like three (3) ports in the cylinder.  Ringed flat top piston.

Beyond that, there's not much more to, physically,  describe.

I'll try to post a picture, but will have to wait until my son comes home from work with his digital camera.

Thanks for your interest.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »
Bob,

There's not much in the way of identifying marks on this engine.  Just says "Webra-Austria" under the cylinder (exhaust side) and "WEBRA-61 on the opposite side.

The cylinder has cooling fins all the way down to the crankcase.  Six (6) bolt head.  Looks like three (3) ports in the cylinder.  Ringed flat top piston.

Beyond that, there's not much more to, physically,  describe.

I'll try to post a picture, but will have to wait until my son comes home from work with his digital camera.

Thanks for your interest.

Joe

Joe,

Sounds like you have the "Speed 61". The original Webra Blackhead was one of the finest RC Pattern engines of all time. I used them back in 1970 - 72. The Speed 61 was their first Schnuerle engine. The first ones didn't have any muffler lugs; they used a hose clamp fitting. They have since fixed that problem and it's another excellent engine, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to convert it to CL. You can still buy them and get parts through Horizon Hobbies.

Most RC engines are heavy. A decent PA or RO-Jett 61 will weigh in under 12 ounces. The typical RC engine will hit 15.  The timing is very different as well. These engines were designed for RC Pattern and they needed all the horsepower they could get. Back then, the FAI rules limited us to 10cc engines and we were still going vertical with 9 - 10 pound airframes.  %^

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 07:45:28 PM »
From what Ron says, and he knows his engines, it is in the series of Webras that Bob Hunt (and a few others) used in Classic planes about 10 years ago.  They were using the 28 and 32.  With proper retiming, they run a great high rpm 4-2 break.  The blowdown has to be brought into the correct range for stunt, and the power didn't suffer much at all.  I have a 32 and it will pull a pretty good size airframe around!

I believe Dean Pappas was setting them up at around 12 degrees of blowdown, but I don't really remember.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 09:58:37 PM »
Thanks, fellas' for the input on the Webra .61

This engine  appears to have been used very little, if any and I just thought it might be worth converting to c/l but it sounds like it probably wouldn't work out too well.

I tried it on the bench and it started with one flip and sounds really strong.  Throttle responce was good.  Maybe someone who flies r/c or perhaps throttle controle c/l could make good use of it.

Regards,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 06:32:14 AM »
Joe,

I didn't want to sound too negative in my first message, but it just seemed like a shame to have to modify one of the classic RC engines for CLPA.

I don't know what you were planning to put it in, but an ST .51 can be bought new for $80.00 or so and would probably do quite well. If you have a "Super Stunter" in mind, I would suggest you contact Randy Smith and try a PA engine.

If your Webra has the mounting holes for a muffler, send me a PM.  <=

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here