News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:02:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wankel Question  (Read 681 times)

Online Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Wankel Question
« on: December 15, 2006, 10:22:06 AM »
As I recall, someone had a Sheeks Staggerwing with a wankel in it. Can this engine be hand started relatively easily or is it necessary to use an electric starter?

Dennis
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Wankel Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:51:40 AM »
Dennis - I've started mine by hand but it was not all that consistent.

For that engine, there seems to be a fine line between enough fuel to start and completely flooded.

It's a fine little engine, though. Smooth, quiet and thirsty.

Someday it'll find its way into a C/L plane.

Bob Z.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:09:47 AM »
Yep, that was my Staggerwing with a Wankel engine. Good smooth runner, but hard to hand start. I always used a starter, 'cause it was easier, and faster. The engine was, as noted by others, thirsty. It also was heavy, though it balanced the Staggerwing fine. I had to extend the mounts a bit when I mounted a B-40 in it.

John
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 02:51:47 PM »
How was the power it had. I remember them having astronomical horse power but little torque. Seems we need torque for stunt.
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 04:42:28 PM »
The power was fine. It ran smooth and made good power. Problem was that it so heavy, because of the engine weight,  that the plane suffered in the hard turns. Flew fine otherwise.  Would I do it again? Yes, but I'd want a plane designed for the engine.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 04:26:28 PM »
'Nother question, John...

Since the "piston(s)" in a Wankel are a large approximately triangular chunk of metal rotating at a short radius from a gear, how was the torque and gyro precession effect in turns?

I suspect there could be something like the WW1 rotary engine fighters had: snap-roll around the inside of their own fuselage one way, but took a fairly large county to turn them the other (slight exaggeration, there, of course.)
\BEST\LOU

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 10:43:03 PM »
Sad to say but the Wankel seems to no longer be distributed in the US. I guess I waited just a little too long.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 12:51:49 AM »
Regularly available on eBAY - Prices range from low $100 to $160 or so.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 11:45:15 AM »
'Nother question, John...

Since the "piston(s)" in a Wankel are a large approximately triangular chunk of metal rotating at a short radius from a gear, how was the torque and gyro precession effect in turns?

I suspect there could be something like the WW1 rotary engine fighters had: snap-roll around the inside of their own fuselage one way, but took a fairly large county to turn them the other (slight exaggeration, there, of course.)

Lou, I never noticed such problems with the engine. My only problem was that the weight was such that it suffered in the hard turns. NO ROLL, rather a falling out on the bottoms that over weight planes seem to show. I replaced the Wankle with a B-40. I had to move it quite a bit forward to get balance, so the cowl now needs to be rebuilt to a longer legnth. The plane now flies better in the hard turns.

John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here