News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:52:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vibrations  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Vibrations
« on: May 30, 2017, 05:13:03 AM »
Hello,
I have a vibration problem with Evo60NX I am using in my RToucan (modified Score).
The propeller and spinner are balanced so these vibrations may come only from the engine itself or its mount.
It is rather unlikely the engine parts are at fault as they are original factory parts (I am assuming of course the crankshaft counterweight is properly selected by the Chinese manufacturer but there is no way to check it with them) so the engine mount is the suspect.

The engine is mounted using two glass reinforced "T" bars provided in the Score ARF. I have rebuilt, stiffen and reinforced the front of the fuselage and the "T" bars are mounted now to the 5/16" thick epoxy laminated custom made ply rib that replaced the old fuselage front rib.

I started suspecting that the "T" bars cantilever beams to which the engine is mounted are too flexible in bending and must be stiffened.
The problem is how to do it. 

Please see the attached. Many details shown in this attachment are different now but the "T" mounts remain the same.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Matt

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Vibrations
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:33:46 AM »
Part of the problem is the rather flimsy nose on the Score.  I installed triangle stock in as many of the inside corners as I could; helped a little.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:42:40 AM »
Jim,
The box like front part of the fuselage is no longer flimsy.
Like I wrote in the original message, I rebuilt and reinforced it, including the new tank compartment enclosure that carries now the in-plane shear generated by torsion much better than before. The torsional and bending stiffness of the front part of the fuselage is much higher than before so I have to exclude this as the source of "flimsiness".

Motorman,
This is called the first mode resonance and of course there is at least one RPM causing it but I do not see nor feel it in the entire engine operating RPM range (8,600-10,800). The vibrations amplitude seems to be almost the same in the RPM operating range and this indicates strong damping effect of the supporting structure. Specifically, the "T" mounts must provide sufficient internal damping for the damping ratio to be such that the system responds with the steady state forced vibrations I see (ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_ratio).

The problem is quite difficult as stiffening the "T" mounts in bending, what is technically possible, may only decrease the amount of damping present in the system, leading to more pronounced resonance.

The best idea is add more damping to the system until the damping ratio approaches 1 but this may be difficult and technically rather complex.

Hmmm...I should have used standard hardwood crutch while rebuilding the front of the fuselage. I will try different prop. but doubt it will help in this case.

Thanks,
M

Any other ideas?

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
Different motor mounts?  It sounds like they're a typical RC-ish motor mount -- are there other RC motor mounts that you could use?

Lots of hits on a search for engine mounts from Tower Hobby.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 08:10:40 PM »
It may not be apples to apples, but the RC guys have proven that vibration isolation mounts reduce airframe vibrations;  their MaH consumption is much less with soft mounts vs. hard mounts and servos last much longer than with hard mounts.

As usual there are degrees but it is common knowledge with the RC guys who fly very expensive models.

Soft mounts may not work where a two-four break is desired but might be OK if running a wet two stroke or even a constant four stroke setting.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
http://www.ohio-superstar.com/dave-brown-product-line/vibra-damp-soft-mounts

I can't tell you how much I recommend you DON'T try soft-mounting the engine! There may be some vibration issue here, or not, but some of the most frustrating months of troubleshooting the West Coast Sekrit Kabal (AKA David, Ted, Brett, and Bill) were trying to make David's soft-mounted PA51 work. Elastomers of every possible compliance were tried from dead soft rubber to pretty high durometer urethane. We consulted with the originators extensively, David has a degree in Aeronautical Engineering, and I have been analyzing the dynamics of flexible aerospace structures of various types for 33 year on the most critical systems that exist. Nothing we tried worked even a little bit. Finally, David replaced the isolators with aluminum spools to hard mount it, and instantly, it ran perfectly.

Brett

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 08:33:26 PM »
This is an interesting topic because as far as I know all cars have rubber mounted engines as does my 72 Norton Commando. Why does it work well in these applications and not in our models? Gives you something to think about....PhillySkip

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »

;D

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:09:42 PM »

:( :P

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 05:54:20 AM »
Brett,
Thanks for your comment. 
I doubt that David's model has the same structural characteristics as the Score:)
Also, I suspect that the side mounted engine on this particular Score isn't helping the problem.

One of the Score's that our local group has had vibrated no matter what we tried, different engines, props, mounts....
Mine is several years old with an inverted PA 61/header muffler, Xoar 13x4 and has no vibration issues, go figure:)

Jim 
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:29:10 AM »
Guys,
I have constructed something rather weird to increase the bending stiffness and the damping present in the system.
Weight penalty: 11 grams.
I will test tomorrow and, if I see and feel that the vibrations decrease, I will publish the details.

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.
Regards,
Matt

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »
Brett,
Thanks for your comment. 
I doubt that David's model has the same structural characteristics as the Score:)
Also, I suspect that the side mounted engine on this particular Score isn't helping the problem.

I would not jump to that conclusion. The airplane has a firewall mount and the rest of the front end was built assuming there was a soft mount, i.e. not very sturdy by stunt standards.   The solution - replace the rubber with solid metal spools - led to several other issues, in particular, he started with 3/32 6061-T6 backplate mount, and it worked for 6-ish months with that. When he hard-mounted the engine, this plate started cracking almost immediately, a few flights. He replaced it with 1/8" aluminum, it broke in a week or two, then 3/32 mild steel, that broke after 40-50 flights, then 1/8 mild steel. That made it last long enough to get through a few contests, but still had to be replaced multiple times. At that point, he was concerned about the rest of the front end coming apart due to the light construction, and the airplane was retired in relatively short order.

I can think of multiple solutions to this issue that don't involve soft mounts. I cannot emphasize how much trouble various people have had with soft mounts on stunt engines.  The *only* time I have seen them work in competitive airplanes was with the OPS40 which are remarkably smooth to begin with and probably didn't need it. And had issues with the custom built "flex header" cracking.

In all other cases, it didn't even give a *hint* of working. That includes some very capable individuals, including experts on soft mounts in other events and full-scale aerospace applications.

Before anyone points it out, the B-17 was a different issue, where the engines were interacting through common graphite/epoxy structure, and in that case, the "isolation" consisted of mounting the engine to a 1/8 aircraft ply firewall with an RC mount. That was a funny series of phone calls, with Howard calling me up at work, trying to beat Paul to the phone - to try to get me to talk him out of it when he did call. Howard explained the issue to me, and how Paul wanted to cut the carbon mounts off, and how bad it was. I said "I don't know, that seems like a pretty good idea to me", and, it was very clear that this was not the answer Howard was looking for!

Brett

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 06:15:37 AM »
Sounds like the real solution is to have a structurally sound front end in the beginning...

Even though the soft mounts work in RC applications, I recognize that the requirements are vastly different.  I have used some of the soft mounts in RC applications but never liked all the engine movement at idle, although the system didn't seem to care:)

Seems that I remember some advice from several engine "experts" that engines should be firmly mounted to a solid structure in order for the engine to operate properly....sorta leads us back to a sound front end.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 08:31:08 PM »
I would abandon the sidewinder engine config. and put as much soft balsa as I could fit into the tank compartment, grain spanwise, well bonded to both fuselage doublers. I believe some of this might be due to the glue used to laminate the ply doublers to the fuselage sides...maybe contact cement? While this stuff makes a strong bond, it is not a rigid bond like epoxy. Try a couple of test panels to see if you agree?  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 08:39:26 PM »
Part of the problem is that the thrustline on a model single cylinder engine is not the ideal place to mount anything.
It is too far away from the centre of vibration.

My recommendation would be to use a one piece back plate radial mount turned out of alloy. Much larger footprint to distribute the load and more importantly attaches the powerplant to the airframe higher up.

Ever wonder why head stays are used to quell vibrations on IC engines?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 08:53:30 PM »
Are the ' T ' mounts replaceable ?

Al's aluminum ones , thinking alloy'd have a differant resonance .

Getting off track , the ' soft mounts ' - rubber .

The NORTON was quite scientific , also theyed done a lot of testing / calculations ( Dunlop ? )
on the rubber to match the amplitude & magnitude of the vibes . Set up right theyre turbine smooth - PAST 2.000 rpm ,

Around 1800 they can get a resonance - stagger .

ALSO the ' shim system ' is to control SIDEWAYS movement , in our case it'd be longitudeinal movement .

Theres a ' Three Point ' system used in the Racing Machines ( std. top is just mini exhaust rubbers )
The Three Points give a PLANE . as in geometric stability . The Side Shimming is said to be Ten Thou .

Below 2 thou clearnace they BIND . ( due to alignment / frame dimensional considerations , and so on .
They steer well , at 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 side clearance. Over that theres discerable lateral slack in the handling,
On Lean - and weave on undulating surfaces .

THUS , with ' soft mounts ' the rubber bushes would need to be compatable with the engine .
A lathe and various grades ( colours ) or urethaNE RUBBER ( NOLATHANE ) would be of some use .
If the longitudeinal gap wasnt controled , thered be corkscrew missalignment under use , at the spinner .

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
Mat, Norton only got away with the isolastic system because it was sitting on Terra Firma.

The vibration was channeled into the road through the swingarm.

Just imagine a Commando at redline whilst being suspended by two ropes in the air. Vibe free? I kinda doubt it.

Rubber mounts work well when the mass of the mount is SUBSTANTIALLY greater than what is being mounted.

That is the reason why RC model benefit from rubber mounts, the model in general wieghts more

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:55:44 PM by Chris Wilson »
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »
Hello All,
The reduction of the steady state forced vibrations achieved by using my "weird" arrangement is either zero or so small that it cannot be seen.
I have made seven full pattern flights yesterday, each time watching the vibrating engine for at least 30 seconds on the ground before going to the handle.

One more reason to go electric.

I will fly this thing until it falls apart due to fatigue stress cracking and then build something lighter with standard hard wood beams epoxied into the carbon composite reinforced fuselage.

Thanks,
M

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »
Sounds like the real solution is to have a structurally sound front end in the beginning...

Even though the soft mounts work in RC applications, I recognize that the requirements are vastly different.  I have used some of the soft mounts in RC applications but never liked all the engine movement at idle, although the system didn't seem to care:)

Seems that I remember some advice from several engine "experts" that engines should be firmly mounted to a solid structure in order for the engine to operate properly....sorta leads us back to a sound front end.

Absolutely. You can't fix this problem, in any practical sense, by trying to mix and match a bunch of transfer functions at semi-random. 99% of the "Big Jim Run" that was touted to be a part of the ST60 modifications from New Jersey was due to building the airplane much stiffer. The other changes, like the hemi head, were minor. Of course, you couldn't say that because if you do, you can't sell "custom modified ST60s" since it worked about as well with a stock engine.

Brett

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
Matt,
Another possibility is pre-ignition.  Try adding one or two head shims and/or using a slightly cooler glow plug.  That will retard the timing a bit and hopefully cure your vibration.
Fred

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »
Yea, the G-51 sounded a bit odd , on a 10 x 4 three blade . Like the top was about to come of the engine . Weird matallic resonant ringing note .
Cool .
Was Severe Preignition .

So a change of plug even , in that case , might erradicate the vibes . Worth checking , Id Think .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here