News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:53:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vibration control  (Read 975 times)

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Vibration control
« on: June 29, 2006, 07:54:18 AM »
I have a Fox Rocket 35 from about 1962 that I am installing on a profile.  I bench ran it and it does shake some.  Has anyone tried using a rubber layer in the doublers to try and tame some of this?  Any other ideas?  Thanks
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Vibration control
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »
Russell.

Very much doubt that a rubber layer built-in in the doublers would do a single thing. It sounds like a lot of effort for little likely return.

Some Fox engines softened up their vibration as they got time on them (slant plug 1970's 29 and 36, for example), or we just got used to them shaking...

Strong front end on the model would help...

Make blessed sure the prop is VERY well balanced.

Possibly adding a head gasket, or even two, might soften the  combustion.

Don't run the engine "hard" - find a setting that is near, but not at, totally peaked out - or if you're looking for a smooth 4-cycle to get a 4-2 break, I don't know if this engine is timed/ported to make that easy.

Use a somewhat lighter prop load - say 9-6 or 10-5 instead of a 10-6. It may be happier in easy-wet-low 2-cycle all the way with a flatter pitch prop, even a 10- or 10.5-4.

If fuel has any effect, a 10%nitro, (at least) 25% CASTOR oil fuel may be kindest.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:10:57 PM »
Won't get any 4-2 breaks out of this thing.  It is kind of a poor man's combat engine.  Pretty strong, but smooth isn't in the description.  I'll let you know what the rubber does, good or bad.  It wasn't very hard to put it in, and if things are worse, I'll replace rubber with ply.  Thanks
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 04:57:57 PM »
I've flown it now, that was a big event, by the way.  It's been a long time.  The engine ran fine and didn't seem as rough as on my bench setup.  Guess I'll have to remove the rubber layers and try it again so I have something to compare with. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here