News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:17:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: venturi verses r/c carb  (Read 1623 times)

Offline phil myers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
venturi verses r/c carb
« on: November 03, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
My ASP .21 has had 1hrs bench run time now with a r/c carb turning a 9x4 about 11500. If I installed a venturi instead, how much more revs should I expect or would there be no difference? Just curious.... Thanks
Phil

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: venturi verses r/c carb
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »
Great topic Phil, i will be watching this one with you! The only time i ever really checked the difference on my plane was a 25 fsr for slow combat on bladder pressure , lost about 800 rpm using a control line venturi over the r/c carb. I still run several fp's and a 46la with the r/c carb. It is expensive to change over, I ordered two venturi and needle valve assembly's to fit the os 40fp today and spent $53.00.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »
Of course it depends on the venturi size---just like the rpm with the rc carb depends on the rotation of the barrel.

One difference is that the carb probably depends on having muffler pressure, so it can stand being a larger diameter opening. Most of us DON'T use muffler pressure on CL venturi's so to get a good fuel draw, that usually means a smaller diameter venturi opening than that of a wide open RC carb.

Also don't forget to take the spraybar into account. A lot od CL spraybars are wider than the rc carb nozzles. This also cuts down on the CL venturi size if you don't compensate.

So as normal, it depends! #^

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »
The R/C carb makes a remarkably good venturi setup.  The OS LA series carbs are pretty light and work well.  About the only negative is occasionally the barrel fit is too loose and it may leak air sporadically.  It's an excellent way to tune the motor to a particular plane and prop, since you can easily adjust the venturi size to find the correct opening for a specific combination.  Once you know what rpm you want, you can make/buy a venturi to hit that speed if you want.  The only real negative is the half-one ounce extra weight.  Especially on motors with large two needle carbs the throttle barrel alone can weigh an ounce.
phil Cartier

Offline phil myers

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:24:57 AM »
Thanks to all for the replys, again I've learned something from these pages...
Phil (Norfolk, England)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
A few comments on RC carbs.

I have been experimenting with Different Carbs on OS 25 engines.

I wondered why the plane bearing (FP) engine ran slower than a Ball Bearing (FSR) of the same size on the same prop and fuel.  The first thing I noticed was the difference in throat area.  The FP carb (2A) had an opening of .180 dia while the FSR carb (2B had an opening  of .216.  I have asked a friend to open the throttle hole in a couple of 2A throttles to the .216 diameter.  The only problem is that the barrel has been hardened and can only be ground to enlarge the hole.  An alternate to the 2B carb is get a 3A carb from an OS 40 FP that measures .205 dia.  That will get you a few hundred more revs.

Experimenting is no problem as all three carbs are interchangeable.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
A few comments on RC carbs.

I have been experimenting with Different Carbs on OS 25 engines.

I wondered why the plane bearing (FP) engine ran slower than a Ball Bearing (FSR) of the same size on the same prop and fuel. 
Clancy

FRICTION... The ball bearings have considerably less resistance than the bushed engines. The down-side is the extra weight and cost.
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 11:03:40 PM »
I'd kind of guess today's carbs are also better and less restrictive than they used to be.  That might make a difference in whether or not it's worthwhile to replace the carb with a venturi on a given engine.

I have an OS Max .30 RC engine that is a mild easy handling engine that doesn't match my surviving Fox .19 baffle engine on a 9-4 prop for power, let alone a .25 Schnurle.  However, a few years ago, for SAM competition, I pulled the RC carb and turned a 0.200 venturi, and used an old thin Kap-Pak needle assembly.  The engine went from about 11000 max to over 14600 on 10% fuel.
Tony

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here