News:

• May 10, 2024, 10:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Venturi length above the spraybar.  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Venturi length above the spraybar.
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:17:41 PM »
Hi all,
         what difference does lengthening the venturi tube above the spraybar make?
I have seen many diesels and four strokes with quite long entrances and many glows with unbelievably short ones, so they all seem to work but why the differences?

Thanks.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Venturi length above the spraybar.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »
Chris I'll offer what little I can about this.  The extended Venturi  ( dang spell check always caps that word),  has also been known as a velocity ram or stack. In the 70s there were a few using them in combat to try to milk everything from their Tigres.  The idea is they increase the air velocity going over the spray bar and into the engine.  I'm not sure why just going a little larger with the intake diameter wouldn't yield the same result.  In the 80s there was a gent in Australia who was putting these on Irvine stunt engines.  He sent me one but I never tried it and eventually sold the engine.  I'm including a photo with two interesting items.  First is a Chech Toņo  10 cc with a non- stock velocity ram.  This engine runs super with good power but I doubt it's the ram.  I'll leave it since it will make choking easy once mounted in an airplane.  Also is a new Enya Venturi which I'd say is a velocity ram but more interesting are the vanes inside meant to straighten the spiral flow which occurs inside- think about watching your bathtub drain- a natural spiral.  How does it work?  Don't know I haven't tried it.  How would you measure and know if it really adds anything?  I dunno.

Dave
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:54:06 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply Dave, all that I have is that an intake runner, either below the jet or above tends to curb flow reversion or 'spitback.'

Nice snorkel on that engine mate!
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
There's theories about tuned length induction for you to research Chris, me I'd rather bolt it into a plane & go fly it.

As for the Enya "swirl" venturi, is it oriented for northern or southern hemisphere coriolis effect?

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
There's theories about tuned length induction for you to research Chris, me I'd rather bolt it into a plane & go fly it.

As for the Enya "swirl" venturi, is it oriented for northern or southern hemisphere coriolis effect?
Right now it is oriented on my engine shelf!  This is in a package marked .61 CX.  I'd like to try it in a RO Jett but haven't tried to fit it.  I have a couple Enya .60 III R/C conversion and I hope it will work in one of those.  One day I plan to design a competitive sidewinder design for these many muffled 60s out there.  Always many to be had cheap on da bay.  A good 'big plane' for those not wanting to make the big block/ pipe investment,  and still prefer IC over electric.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 05:10:08 AM »
Also is a new Enya Venturi which I'd say is a velocity ram but more interesting are the vanes inside meant to straighten the spiral flow which occurs inside- think about watching your bathtub drain- a natural spiral.  How does it work?  Don't know I haven't tried it.  How would you measure and know if it really adds anything?  I dunno.

Dave

The swirl vanes aren't intended to straighten the flow. They increase velocity, decreasing pressure which results in improved fuel feed without reducing venturi cross-sectional area and, thereby, reducing total airflow into the engine. It's also supposed to improve fuel atomization which should help increase torque in the low end .
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 06:32:50 AM »
With quick thinking, I think the main effect is increasing the suction, not by making flow faster in narrowest point, but creating turbulence friction before it. A bit like adding an air filter. I think those vanes in Enya's venturi are far too close to the mouth of venturi to work as advertised. The airflow right after prop is quite chaotic.
But in general, I think a longer venturi shroud is a good thing, it makes the suction less affected by the direction of cooling airflow.
Also in rear intake, it keeps engine compartment cleaner and accepts a more restrictive airfilter.
In (racing)classes with venturi size rules, it's good to have a plenum chamber before the point of fuel atomization, and the narrowest point well before it. For this reason the rules also usually state a maximum volume for the space between narrowest point and crankshaft/intake valve. But of course, it also depends on wether a pressure tank or venturi suction is used.
I use rear intake and with my plug-in venturi's the distance from mouth to fuel posts is restricted to about 1/2" by exhaust header. For this reason I make an extension from silicone tubing, it makes the engine run clearly more constant, even without a filter mesh.

Lauri

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »
Another effect that it may have -- and this view is almost completely unfounded but for one data point -- is that it may help with fuel economy, and affect (one way or another) how well the thing holds a mixture.

My one data point for this is that the typical OS <something>LA engine (FP, too) with short venturi spits a lot of raw fuel out the front of the intake, not all of which gets sucked back into the engine.  I verified this on my own planes with a case of Powermaster fuel from the batch where they way over-dyed it and everyone's planes were streaked with purple.

A longer stack on the venturi might not give the fuel time to be thrown out the front, thus it would go into the engine where it would get burnt up instead of just splattering the plane.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 04:37:18 PM »
Another effect that it may have -- and this view is almost completely unfounded but for one data point -- is that it may help with fuel economy, and affect (one way or another) how well the thing holds a mixture.

My one data point for this is that the typical OS <something>LA engine (FP, too) with short venturi spits a lot of raw fuel out the front of the intake, not all of which gets sucked back into the engine.  I verified this on my own planes with a case of Powermaster fuel from the batch where they way over-dyed it and everyone's planes were streaked with purple.

A longer stack on the venturi might not give the fuel time to be thrown out the front, thus it would go into the engine where it would get burnt up instead of just splattering the plane.
Hi Tim,
          it has been well proven that a longer tube above the jet does indeed improve fuel economy as it contains an otherwise lost charge - but with stunt its a case of 'who cares?'
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 05:07:51 PM »
If it translated into either a better or a worse stunt run, I would care.  If I still had fuel purple enough to dye streaks into my airplane, I would care.  I suppose if the paint peeled off of my cowl, I would care.

But otherwise -- yes, I see your point.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
Hi Tim,
          it has been well proven that a longer tube above the jet does indeed improve fuel economy as it contains an otherwise lost charge - but with stunt its a case of 'who cares?'

Right, that part doesn't matter much. What *does* matter, and what is one of the most important issues, it that the long intake acts as a flow straightener. That makes it less influenced by the changes in flow due to maneuvering. That's also the goal of the panty hose diffuser, which accomplishes a similar function without requiring a very long intake.

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:10 PM »
Hi Tim,

One reason it gives better fuel economy is that it is effectively a smaller vernturie, when you make the same size venturie much longer it acts smaller and has more drag on the flow, you have to open the tall venturie up in diameter  to make it act, and perform like it shorter cousin.. and yes there is friction in the tube... fact.. longer the tube the greater the friction

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
   Right, that part doesn't matter much. What *does* matter, and what is one of the most important issues, it that the long intake acts as a flow straightener. That makes it less influenced by the changes in flow due to maneuvering. That's also the goal of the panty hose diffuser, which accomplishes a similar function without requiring a very long intake.

Brett

The Bru-line did the same thing, as well as the  RC car intake filters I am running now, plus the helped keep some of the fuel from being ejected out the top

Randy

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 06:35:13 AM »
Great explanation, gentlemen. Thank you!
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »
Agreed, I have learn't a bit here, thanks guys!

Another allied use of extended intakes is in combat, a flexible length of pipe acts as restriction, crushing upon impact and prevents dirt ingress.
MAAA AUS 73427

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here