News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:55:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector 40 Fuel Tank Option  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Vector 40 Fuel Tank Option
« on: September 03, 2023, 11:29:50 AM »
I am considering an experiment to install a 4 oz Sullivan rectangular slant 'flex-type' clunk tank on my Vector40 (inverted engine).

Reason: I currently run a Brodak 4 oz uniflow wide-wedge metal tank on my model and have been running with muffler pressure. My model uses a stock OS 46LA w/ stock muffler.  Current setup runs pretty well with the only real issue being unequal (slightly slower) lap time when inverted. For equal inverted time, it seems that I need to raise the tank slightly, but cannot because the current metal tank is up against the underside of the maple motor mounts.

I wanted to try a clunk tank set up for uniflow. I have a Sullivan 4 oz slant rectangular flex tank that fits well in the tank bay area w/ plenty of room for the fuel tubing. Sullivan also makes a rigid slant tank, but I would have to trim the cowl slightly to allow the rigid tank to fit (not really an issue if needed). (FYI, the Sullivan rectangular flex tank is 2" wide, 3-1/2" long and 1-3/8" tall)

My current plan is to set up the clunk tank for uniflow with the ability to adjust the uniflow exit up or down as needed for equal lap times.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Uniflow exit point at around 1" from the back of the clunk. Is this OK? (Clunk tank is 3.5" long)

2. Not sure if muffler pressure heat will have a negative effect on the tank softer flex material. As an alternative, stay away from muffler pressure and just use ram air pressure from the foreword facing open vent line.

3. Any fatal flaws in the concept above.

4. Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
Re: Vector 40 Fuel Tank Option
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 06:22:02 PM »
How ared you getting enough flight time with a 4 oz tank and LA46?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 09:06:19 AM by Dan Berry »

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2023, 06:44:28 PM »
   Try putting shims under the engine mounts. One gallon mil jig material ( if the jug has soe flat sideds to it) makes goo material for this. Cut out two sets, but install just one to start with, one under each side. Check to see that the engine turns over without rubbing anything, and if it does, grind out some clearance and then test fly. It should improve and if it needs more, add the second one that you already have cut and made.. If iy goes too far, measure the thickness and find something 1/2 the thickness and try again.
  If you have to try a plastic tank, a slant might make you have to bend some tricky angles. Try a RST square tank from Sullivan or Dubro so you can rotate the cork or move the uniflow tube to adjust the inverted flight.
   I'll also ask the question Mr. Berry asked, how can you do a full pattern with an LA.46 on 4 ounces of fuel, especially since this looks like the grossly over weight model?
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2023, 10:47:37 PM »
I am considering an experiment to install a 4 oz Sullivan rectangular slant 'flex-type' clunk tank on my Vector40 (inverted engine).

Reason: I currently run a Brodak 4 oz uniflow wide-wedge metal tank on my model and have been running with muffler pressure. My model uses a stock OS 46LA w/ stock muffler.  Current setup runs pretty well with the only real issue being unequal (slightly slower) lap time when inverted. For equal inverted time, it seems that I need to raise the tank slightly, but cannot because the current metal tank is up against the underside of the maple motor mounts.

I wanted to try a clunk tank set up for uniflow. I have a Sullivan 4 oz slant rectangular flex tank that fits well in the tank bay area w/ plenty of room for the fuel tubing. Sullivan also makes a rigid slant tank, but I would have to trim the cowl slightly to allow the rigid tank to fit (not really an issue if needed). (FYI, the Sullivan rectangular flex tank is 2" wide, 3-1/2" long and 1-3/8" tall)

My current plan is to set up the clunk tank for uniflow with the ability to adjust the uniflow exit up or down as needed for equal lap times.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Uniflow exit point at around 1" from the back of the clunk. Is this OK? (Clunk tank is 3.5" long)

2. Not sure if muffler pressure heat will have a negative effect on the tank softer flex material. As an alternative, stay away from muffler pressure and just use ram air pressure from the foreword facing open vent line.

3. Any fatal flaws in the concept above.

4. Any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Sure, it works. Here's a picture of another Vector 40 ARF that I "adopted" and rebuilt the nose on. Sullivan square nose "flexi tank" sitting on the bearers. If you have the patience to carefully bend the tubing I don't immediately see why you couldn't get a slant front to work, but the fuel will get more of a rollercoaster ride. I have the uniflow about 1" back from the front of my tank. It works fine on this and several other installations I've tested. Twist the uniflow tube for tuning the tank. Don't twist the whole cork or you risk screwing up the clunk clearances in the tank. That also messes up your overflow tube position. I wouldn't put a clunk on the uniflow. I tried that and didn't like it. One thing to watch is whether the in situ tip of the uniflow tube is correct after you have it installed in the plane. It is real easy to squeeze one of these tanks trying to push it into place and either twist the uniflow tube in the cork, or end up with the uniflow tube pressed up against the side of the tank and causing a restriction.

Don't worry about any heat effects on the Sullivan tank from running pressure. It is miniscule. I've done it with no problem. So try both ram air pressure and muffler pressure and see which one runs better for your specific setup. But reset the needle after making either change.

I had a similar setup in an ARF Nobler. It worked fine. The current setup I'm running on a modified Twister has an OS .46LA (with a hard tank) is pretty thirsty, and I'm getting only about 5:30 for ~4-7/8 oz. So things vary a bit engine to engine. You will likely end up short of time for a full pattern with just the 4 oz. unless you are running a small venturi. And that (and the stock muffler) can make the  tuning a bit more finicky. Still, it's an OS .46LA, one of the sweethearts of sport flying.

On a marginal tank, you can play the game with less nitro and less oil. Less nitro since the .46LA is overkill for the Vector 40. Less oil means less margin of safety on settings and unexpected problems (pressure line blows off, etc.)  The OS electroless nickel isn't always the most robust. (We can have that internet war again, I suppose, or we could just put links to the past battles of documented issues....) My thought would be run a safe fuel while you get all your tank issues sorted out. If you aren't close on time, try a smaller venturi and less nitro and see if you still have adequate power and are not overheating. If that looks good, then try dropping the oil to something like 18% and see if you can still get an easy needle, no overheating and no metal coming out your exhaust pipe.

You can shim the engine if you don't have far to go and you're not worried about spinner/cowling alignment. On my Vector, the fit is quite close and I chose to use a more adjustable tank rather that live with the spinner offset.

This is all just my personal opinion. Lots of others will (likely) disagree. That's ok--if what they are doing is working for them, great! There's more than one way to do most of this.

Dave

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 09:09:48 AM »
Thanks Dan / Dan / Dave for the great information. It is nice to know the Sullivan flex material tank has been used in this type of application. And yes, this is the 'heavy' Vector that I have posted on in the past.

This particular Sullivan slant tank fits quite well in the engine bay with no modifications to the model. And this is an experiment for me. I looked into shimming the engine lower (relative to the tank) but this would require some model surgery which I did not want to do at this time.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 11:22:32 AM »
  I would not put the slant in that direction. look at the difficulties it presents. The location of the main body is what's important. I still think a RST type tank would be best/ Save the slant for a profile. Look at Dave's picture closely and duplicate.
 Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 11:56:54 AM »
Dan, I already checked, the available RST square tanks don't fit without model surgery. The tank bay is only 1-3/8" high and 2" wide. The slant tank is wide, but not very tall which works in the existing tank bay.

The slant works fine in that direction. Plenty of room for the tubing as the tubing is in the pocket between the maple motor mounts. It doesn't work the other direction as the tubing hits the cowl.

In the previous pic the tank is inverted, but when the model is upright it sits like this.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 12:16:22 PM by Colin McRae »

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2023, 01:48:16 PM »
What's the theory on how this is going to fix it? Fuel mass is stil gonna' be in the same place relitive to the NVA, right? 

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 02:12:00 PM »
What's the theory on how this is going to fix it? Fuel mass is stil gonna' be in the same place relitive to the NVA, right?

I don't have much experience with clunk tanks. But it is my understanding that if you can raise or lower the uniflow vent exit relative to the spray bar elevation it can affect the lap times. If this is not true, then yes, the clunk tank experiment will be a waste of time.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 05:24:34 PM »
I don't have much experience with clunk tanks. But it is my understanding that if you can raise or lower the uniflow vent exit relative to the spray bar elevation it can affect the lap times. If this is not true, then yes, the clunk tank experiment will be a waste of time.

The problem as I see it is with the angles that you will have to bend the pick up tubes and the uniflow/vent tube. You will have to tank the tank out of the airplane and apart to make any adjustments. Not to mention that it's going to be a royal pain to simply attach the fuel lines. Other than just dropping in nicely, I see no advantage here. It helps to envision the engine and the tank as one unit, and then try to keep fuel lines as short as practical. I'm not a fan of how you have the needle valve installed. To me, it's on the wrong side. That isn't affecting the run you are getting, but it adds length to the fuel line, and everywhere it has to pass through a bulkhead or rub against something is another potential place for a pin hole or leak of some kind or a kink that restricts fuel flow. I think shimming the engine will be the least amount or work and headache. Or, just keep flying it as is.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 07:35:00 PM »
  The problem as I see it is with the angles that you will have to bend the pick up tubes and the uniflow/vent tube. You will have to tank the tank out of the airplane and apart to make any adjustments. Not to mention that it's going to be a royal pain to simply attach the fuel lines. Other than just dropping in nicely, I see no advantage here. It helps to envision the engine and the tank as one unit, and then try to keep fuel lines as short as practical. I'm not a fan of how you have the needle valve installed. To me, it's on the wrong side. That isn't affecting the run you are getting, but it adds length to the fuel line, and everywhere it has to pass through a bulkhead or rub against something is another potential place for a pin hole or leak of some kind or a kink that restricts fuel flow. I think shimming the engine will be the least amount or work and headache. Or, just keep flying it as is.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Dan, I do appreciate all of your comments and advise. I will see what I can do. But this is just an experiment doing a clunk tank for now. It may not work out in the end.

Concerning the NVA location, on the vector it can't really be moved to the other side due to the muffler location. The needle would almost touch the muffler making it difficult to adjust without injury. I think the original builder must have decided on the NVA orientation on purpose.

But yes, there are many ways to skin a cat. Maybe a tongue muffler.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2023, 01:33:43 PM »
you could try it , test it , with the cowl off . & if it works take a chainsaw to the inside of the cowl . Either way up ( the tank ) .

Dan , do you think theres anything to a more even run with the fuel line inboard ( needle adjust outboard ) so it always draws the fuel across ( uniflow or not )
rather than it pushing the fuel across to the intake , with less weight of fuel reducing the positivity ( big word ) of the feed toward the end of the run . Perhaps .

Jim Casale I think was on about assymetric tanks . A FSR .40 / 45 , anyway . Talking about 1 inch depth tank bays . The FSR's you need the tank 1/8 down .
For a matched run upright & inverted . The conclusion was , if you only had one inch , move the feed & uniflow down the 1/8 th  on the 1 inch deep tank and youd be in the game . Youd do it UP ,

( Ive got FSRs and always put the ' normal ' tank down the 1/8 th . Wonder on the assymetric hight ones . ( latest build ive found to my relief I did 1/8 ply surrounds
to the 1/8 steel engine pads . So ive a extra eighth ( or two . One each way ) as ive only 100 length & 45 width to play with . ) . THAT ASIDE -

#!* keybrd . >:(

Another THING , STEEL Clunk Tanks are popular here . Usually both , with maybe just a brass tube on the uni line , Not Quite hitting the rear wall so it dont get stuck ( blocked / bulked ! )
Cunning sods if to short - throw a can top thread on to  the underside , with a screw cap . Not only can they get into the flex lines - the can fly longer with the extra volume .

ONE THING you DONT DO with clunk tanks is store nose down . or you may get a front clunk , or more likely a front clunk with a folded obstructed fuel tube inside the tank , often stuck there .

So , the other thing'd be cut an ole inna da bottom , aft , and knock the fuel tubes higher with a cold chisel , or something less offensive . Or just take the back off and realign them .
To test the inches ( fractions of  )  you could test as is with differant hight pads under the engine , on the ground , for even speed , and how far ya gotta shiftem .

Any ' ground run ' ive done , flipping the plane over and seeing rpm's and angle nose up - for the switch / break ( speed up ) the same angle either way up
has matched the air setting - being even .

To cut a long story short , better to do this to test you run , on the ground ( in your hands - feet on ground -if you want to quibble ) and also check the vent hight there
rather than pontificate endlessly up & down . Though I do wonder say the pipe ended 1/3rd hight ( if it spraybar level - whatever , is the clunk going twice as far away
one way up going to influance the effort . perhaps .

Youd generally be best to discard the cowl till youve perfected ( big word ) the run . saving endlesss off'n'oning . & rmember it's no sweat to butcher the INSIDE of the cowl ,
nobody'll ever see the surgery - for if throwing the tank in with the feed pipes accessable is gunna save endlessly ining & outing of THAT , too .

ONE BLANKETY THING - inexplicably - going from  a SF 46 muffler to a tounge muffler , on my Strega , got the run even . same tank hight . I think the pressure line had woven around from the away side .
So just shiffting the  nipple position on the muffler ( to close and hady the the fuselage thing ) for minimum tube lengh , could get it right . Drill a hole - ive used nearest ive got bolts with a side V cut to start a thread & screwed the nipple in
to form a self rolled compacted base ! thread . No Worries . Or started with a nearest tap , tapered , just thru . To get a start - then wound the fiting in . Lubed ( of course ) . A thought. Specially if youve a spare muffler .

Throwing it in the middle of the flat bit ( duct to tube ) wouldnt be a bad idea . the nipple .
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 02:02:46 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 08:29:44 PM »
Also some or those  radio control pressure nipples have a 6 foot diameter bore , whereas 3 microns is better .

Er , get the pitcher - FUEL - Pressure Surge - under ' G ' . a 1 mm / 1.5 mm hole ( press in a tube , solder & drill
whatever . A greased pin in the S T FI G-15 C' Case pressure nipple - soldered then pulled out left a 12 thou. hole .
MAINLY to stop ' back feeding ' thru it .

But the 3 mm ? bore std tthings are useless , on occasion . A piece of 1/16 bore tube in the line at the muffler'd likely be o.k. .

And there was something else .  :(

Wot the is the LEAD doing on the rear bulkhead ? ? ? ? ? ?

A good sharp chisel and patiance would trim the bearers back a way in the tank bay . scrape scrape not whacking it . A H D Foam fing under the nose while youre at it .
A lot easyer if it aint wobbling . AT ALL . Steady even . Get a spare hand maybe - not an unstable one though .

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 02:33:03 PM »
Air Miniseries,

NO WHACKING! (I had to go along with you on that one....)

I also modified an ARF Nobler years ago to fit a Sullivan tank. That, after the metal kit-tank spewed a ton of rust out of it (but the outside was nicely painted in a gray hammertone paint), and then the replacement plastic kit-tank split in flight dumping nearly a full load of fuel into the fuselage causing the engine quit while inverted. After fixing the rudder, nose and wing scrapes (pavement rash, you know) I took a Dremel with a burr and carved enough of the bearers to fit in the Sullivan. Much easier than a chisel with poor access and angles on something "wots aready dun."

The Divot

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 09:22:53 AM »
  I would not put the slant in that direction. look at the difficulties it presents. The location of the main body is what's important. I still think a RST type tank would be best/ Save the slant for a profile. Look at Dave's picture closely and duplicate.
 Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

I decided to take your recommendation and change to a Sullivan 4 oz square nose RST flex tank (same as Dave's pic). It has worked fine so far on the Vector and with the uniflow vent approx 1/4" above the engine spray bar I am getting equal lap times inverted.

Thx for the recommendation.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:41:48 AM by Colin McRae »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2023, 09:26:27 PM »
I don't have much experience with clunk tanks. But it is my understanding that if you can raise or lower the uniflow vent exit relative to the spray bar elevation it can affect the lap times. <snip>

Right, but you can do the same thing by reworking a tin tank or learning to make one yourself with some assymetry... raise the point of the wedge higher.

When I needed another ounce of fuel in my PA .51/SV-11, I made a "sump" and soldered it onto the bottom of the 6 oz square wedge tin tank. Speed upright vs. inverted didn't change, because the uniflow tube wasn't moved, and the tank height didn't change. It fit, barely, under the pipe header, with about 1/16" clearance. Fuel heating has not been a problem.   

I would expect your .46LA would need more fuel, because I'd expect it would need a bigger propeller to haul a seriously overweight model, therefore burn more fuel. An alternative to a bigger tank is to add 1 oz of Coleman fuel to a quart of glow fuel to make it run longer. It's also worth mentioning that R/C plastic tanks typically hold more than the nominal rating.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2024, 09:08:01 AM »
Right, but you can do the same thing by reworking a tin tank or learning to make one yourself with some assymetry... raise the point of the wedge higher.

When I needed another ounce of fuel in my PA .51/SV-11, I made a "sump" and soldered it onto the bottom of the 6 oz square wedge tin tank. Speed upright vs. inverted didn't change, because the uniflow tube wasn't moved, and the tank height didn't change. It fit, barely, under the pipe header, with about 1/16" clearance. Fuel heating has not been a problem.   

I would expect your .46LA would need more fuel, because I'd expect it would need a bigger propeller to haul a seriously overweight model, therefore burn more fuel. An alternative to a bigger tank is to add 1 oz of Coleman fuel to a quart of glow fuel to make it run longer. It's also worth mentioning that R/C plastic tanks typically hold more than the nominal rating.  H^^ Steve

Thanks, Steve, for the suggestions.

Right now, my priority is not total engine/pattern run time as I am unable to do all the stunts at this point in my learning process. 4 oz of fuel is getting me around 6 minutes total (maybe 5.5 minutes in the air) on the 46LA with the 12-3 BY&O wide prop which does pull my 62 oz model quite well without being too fast on 64' lines. The 4 oz Sullivan rectangular flex tank is the largest capacity commercially available tank that would fit in the Vector tank bay. When the time comes, I do fly with buddies that can assist me with a larger capacity custom tank.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here