News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uniflow tubing for Fox 35 on profile  (Read 829 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Uniflow tubing for Fox 35 on profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:09:59 PM »
I currently have a Fox 35 with a Hayes clunk tank mounted on it.  It seems to running better than any Fox I've ever had.  I don't sense any burp on outside loops.  I haven't tried insides yet or inverted flight.  That's next!

However,  I have some questions.  Is a clunk tank like a uniflow.  How does the plumbing work for uniflow?  Will it cause a Fox 35 or any other engine to run better than a conventional tank?

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
Re: Uniflow tubing for Fox 35 on profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:47:40 AM »
So long as the vent line (be it to atmosphere or to muffler pressure) is the only way air can get into the tank and it goes to the bottom of the tank then it is a uniflow line. With a CL model the "bottom" of the tank is the outside wall in flight. The engine sees the end of the uniflow line as being the fuel level at all times while it's submerged regardless of how much fuel is in the tank.

RC fliers generally set up their tanks with the vent line bent up to the top of the tank. What they don't realise is that as soon as they fly inverted the vent is pointing down and submerged in the fuel and then they have a Uniflow tank all the time the model is inverted or pulling negative G. The engine then thinks the tank is nearly empty and the engine leans out :).

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »
I think you'll like the Hayes tank.  I like them because they're simple, easy to set up, and they work.  I have a Hayes 3oz. on my Twister with a Torpedo 35.  I just ran a line from the overflow (top) nipple and anchored it to the top of the fuselage terminated right behind the prop.  The torp likes that set up, even inverted.  With the Fox, you might want to just leave the overflow nipple as is.  Play with it, and see.  In any case, I've had good luck with Hayes tanks, both in CL and RC.

Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:53:26 AM »
Thanks for the info and ideas.  I am about to try the idea of pressurizing a conventional tank with a line toward the prop on the top of the fuselage and a capped bottom.  This is on another plane.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:38:18 AM »
I've not flown plastic tanks, so this is all second hand.  Some use a hard tube for the uniflow, bent to go out to near the outside of the tank. One can wiggle the end of this tube up or down if needed to get the smooth run.  Another way is to run a second clunk on the uniflow line.  Yet a third way is to make a clunk which has the uniflow line attached, but not all the way back to the rear of the clunk.  A friend is having good results with this setup in metal tanks. 

Do uniflow tanks run better? I can't say, because all my tanks are uniflow and I don't have any non-uniflow tanks for comparison. H^^

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:06:27 AM »
Hey Jim,  I know we are getting older, but, I remember the non-uni-flo tanks.  Like Veco and Perfect.  They would start out slightly rich and keep going leaner and leaner.  Only thing that stopped that was crank case pressure.  Have fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
I can now report that I have the same run in inverted flight as normal flight.  I did notice that the motor does almost cut out going down on an inside loop but so far it pulled through fine - just a slowing.   Actually I was using up some of my erroneously bought sport fuel - that was enriched up to usability with extra castor oil.  I had no over heating.  I will soon use some good fuel again - I have Fox Superfuel and some Power Master.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here