News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uniflow tank operation ?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Uniflow tank operation ?
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:32:22 AM »
Hi ,

Can anyone give me some info , concerning "uniflow" tank operation ?
I've never used one before and I would like to know the subtleties involved with setting up , how it operates and plumbing this type of fuel tank .
I'd like to build a Brodak "Nobler" with a uniflow . Does Brodak sell uniflow tanks and what part number would be suitable for this kit ?

Thank a million :)
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: Uniflow tank operation ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 11:44:43 AM »
To start off the replies :- Good news and Bad News. G.N. - The Palmer tank design is a uniflow. Ever since I discovered it nearly 50 years ago I have used nothing else, and (touch wood) never seem to have engine run problems. By all means scale it up or down. Up usually means make it longer. Smaller can mean make it shorter and narrower.
B.N.  - I'm not clued up on posting sketches etc. but it won't be hard to find a drawing from someone.
I'm sure George Aldrich claimed his tank was uniflow, but I don't believe it is, and I never had the success with his tank that I had with the Palmer tank.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Uniflow tank operation ?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 12:29:42 PM »
The idea of a uniflow tank is that it has only one vent (the "uni-") whose end is immersed in the fuel at the outboard side of the tank, just like the pickup.  It's supposed to minimize the fuel flow fluctuation (say that 3 times fast) from a full tank to nearly empty; also gives a definite "out of fuel" warning when the fuel level drops below the vent, by changing the draw significantly.  Brilliant and simple, as most brilliant things are...I've used the system in three 1/2A models (3 different tanks--shape and size) so far and it works well.  Strangely enough, it produces run characteristics very similar to my "floppy balloon" (no pressure) unvented tanks!

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here