News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Understanding nitro benefit  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Understanding nitro benefit
« on: August 21, 2023, 12:30:00 PM »
I have a basic question on the general benefits of higher nitro in a fuel. I do understand that higher nitro offers more power.

Just as an example (say in an OS 25LA engine), if I can achieve a desired ground rpm with 5% nitro and achieve the same ground rpm with 10% nitro (with associated needle adjustment), is there really any additional benefit to the higher 10% nitro from a power perspective?

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Understanding nitro benefit
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 01:22:50 PM »
I have a basic question on the general benefits of higher nitro in a fuel. I do understand that higher nitro offers more power.

Just as an example (say in an OS 25LA engine), if I can achieve a desired ground rpm with 5% nitro and achieve the same ground rpm with 10% nitro (with associated needle adjustment), is there really any additional benefit to the higher 10% nitro from a power perspective?

Nitro is an oxidizer. It adds oxygen to the mix. In hotter temps and higher altitudes the air is thinner, with less oxygen, so you have to turn the needle in to get a certain power setting so the fuel/air mixture is correct. Adding nitro replaces the oxygen that isn't there, so to speak. If you are flying on 5% at a certain needle setting, and then switch to 10%, you notice that you have to open the needle to get that specific RPM setting and your run time goes down. The nitro is adding extra oxygen and you have to open the needle more to let in more fuel. The extra power you mention comes from the extra fuel that you are letting in with a more open needle setting. The opposite happens if you go down on nitro, and the result is a more closed needle, maybe a bit less power and a longer engine run. It's a common thing to do that if you are a little short on fuel for the pattern, drop down on nitro to get the extra time you need, or add some other combustible liquid such as lantern fuel to the fuel that leans out the mixture (puts less alcohol in your mixture)  so you have to turn the needle in to get the power back, and thus increases you run time on the same amount of fuel.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 03:34:08 PM »
Running with the 10% also pulls more total oil through the engine , which is a benefit to longevity .
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 03:59:11 PM »
Was also wondering if 10% (vs 5%) at the same ground rpm, during the combustion process, if it is a 'hotter' burn which will increase piston pressure thereby offering more torque on the shaft.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 06:28:59 PM »
nitro whacks up the TOURQUE ,

and makes needle setting ' broader ' , as in the critical ( korekt ) settings a bit wider .

You wanna run Richer , for power .

THIS is all if your up at 15 or 20 % . Though 10 % the effects are more than 5 % - in that direction . A lot of people seem to use it as ' altitude correction '

Maybe THIS is why almost every ' used ' engine I tear down , has rotted bearings and WRIST PIN . So FLUSH & OIL before STORAGE . and after flying . Mate .

Paul Lagan said they run cooler with 20 % when Id asked if they run hotter . And He was not known for flippancy .
The SF 46 clone woke up on 15 % and swung a 12 x 6 in a good 4-2-4 run , whereas before it'd been limp & uncooperative in a 76 ounce P.M. 60 .
Accidently putting ' more methanol ' in from the nitro container got maybe 60 % - other'n kicking back , flipping em , fired up 6 engines for tripple twin flight , 
Sp if a littles good , more is better . Perhaps .

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 08:10:22 PM »

Potentially - because you are running it richer in the second case, putting in a different place in the response curve. Generally this will make it more responsive in flight. Whether it is better or not depends on where you were before you changed it. The in-flight response is critical and any successful system requires a load response in the maneuvers - 4-2 break, medium 2- hard 2, fat 4 to medium 4, something like that.

An example, 1999 NATs (I think). Ted and I were running 10% SIG, just like at home. We get to Muncie, and while we were getting the right in-flight speed, with our setup, the engine was running about 50-50 4 and 2, and I melted the front end of my pipe. I had to turn the needle in about 1/2 turn. In-flight performance was rather wimpy compared to what we were used to. We were getting by, until Thursday afternoon, Ted said, "hey, lets try some 15%". Tried it, immediately, the needle went right back to the original position, fuel consumption was back to normal, the engine ran in a 4-stroke almost the entire flight, and it damn near pulled my arm off. At a later NATs, 2001, I think, someone complimented me on my engine run, saying my 4-stroke ran better than everyone else. I had to break it do him it was a PA61 - ran the entire flight in a thundering 4-stroke.

For the 25LA, I would start with 10%, and make sure that at a satisfactory flying speed it would never fall into a 4-stroke, because its too responsive running that way. If it went over the top lean in the maneuvers, I might try 15% to richen it up.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 11:35:00 PM »
Was also wondering if 10% (vs 5%) at the same ground rpm, during the combustion process, if it is a 'hotter' burn which will increase piston pressure thereby offering more torque on the shaft.

No, 10% will be cooler at the same power (AKA ground RPM) because it will be richer/less efficient. Same power and more fuel = burning it at a lower temperature.

Brett

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 05:02:06 PM »
Thx to all for the good info. One often reads simple statements like more nitro = more power. Guess it is not that simple.

Offline Philip THOMAS

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 09:49:10 PM »
Reminds me of a book I read in support of my other hobby, “ classic engines, modern fuels”.
The premise is the principle of cyclic variation, that is, no two combustion strokes are the same. Higher octane ( in Australia, 98 octane not that weak North Atlantic stuff) gives a more consistent burn each stroke, so the potential is better economy, easier tuning. This especially applies to older cars with very rudimentary carburettors and presumably glow engines with not even a carburettor. Modern engines use very sophisticated fuel delivery ( piezo fuel injectors ) which is responsible for the the amazing rise in outputs we have seen in the last few years.  You’d presume nitromethane, being a smaller molecule, would burn| oxidise faster but release less energy per mol. Than methanol assuming complete combustion. My 2cw.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 01:54:08 AM »
Thoght it was releasing hydrogen & oxygen molecules when it ' burnt ' .  Some Dragrace ' fuel ' class info would get all tecnical about it . Hemis going 2000 Hp.  50 years ago on it . MOPAR Rules . !    ;D

Dosnt slow you down , anyway . IF you adjust the chamber volume to suit . Ignition Point is actually crucial on OUTPUT . The modern Wizzers having somewhat more elaborate IGNITION
theyre less prone to meltdown .

This sucker lived up the hill from us , around 1970 . 2000 Hp. rebuilt mid 90s for methanol 1000Hp. Got the season championship . Relinered & iron heads to hold the cracked block together .

Accidently used nitro insted of the second methanol bottle on the three twins in the wideo clip . So was around 60 % . Good ' Bump ' / kick back . Needed a stronger flick & kicked one prop loose .

Speed Turkeys know the how to get the head right trick . Seems running rpm's they go just off full lean ( hopefully ) whereas aerobics ( with a T ) you go rich - more fuel & oxygen . Sounds like a Y block
running well .,

Offline Philip THOMAS

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 08:20:17 AM »
Hah hah! Good one mate. But I fear we’re drifting off topic!

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2023, 06:39:10 PM »
"Speed Turkeys know the how to get the head right trick . Seems running rpm's they go just off full lean ( hopefully ) whereas aerobics ( with a T ) you go rich - more fuel & oxygen . Sounds like a Y block
running well .,"

Speed model aeroplanes typically are VERY rich when released, but it depends on the fuel tank setup. Even more radically rich with a piped engine, and those usually run very rich for laps while building heat in the system. Getting the thing to come 'on pipe' takes a lot of piloting skill. Hold it back (reverse whipping) to get it hot, then whip to get it on pipe, if it doesn't jump to Warp 9 on its own, then scurry like a rabbit to try to keep up.

That was decades after I stopped flying speed. What I found was that high compession gave buckets of TORQUE, and the limit was the piston & glowplug durability. We'd take .040" off the squishband and .040" off the gasket seat of our ST .29rv's and they'd hold up well on 65% nitro. Still in the days with no pipe and wood props. Then, stuff changed $$$$ and I went off to fly F1A for 15 years.   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 02:03:35 PM »
IF one was to do a test with peaked settings, the higher nitro % would run hotter. This would keep the glowplug hotter and improve the idle for the sport R/C bods. That's why it's difficult to find fuel with less than 10% at the LHS. Plus, they recommend it, because it costs more, so more profit, and they wouldn't want to stock 5% for obvious reasons. Also why the standard fuel for 4-cycle engines is YS 20-20 or equivalent. Keeps the glowplug hotter during the non-firing cycle.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 08:02:15 PM »
 I just ran 65% nitro this past Sunday in my Fox 36X BB turning a 8x8 prop and using a baby pacifier as a fuel tank. I was setting the needle running the engine from the rich side, I pinch the fuel tubing to here the RPM peak up. I noticed that with the high nitro the engine was slow to spool up and would even cut out when I gave a little pinch to the fuel line. It’s a little tricky to set, I have to turn the needle in real slow to peak and back it up richer. When I use 10% nitro the engine spools up quick with a little pinch of the fuel line and is easy to set the needle. It’s like hitting something with a sledgehammer compared to using regular hammer, slower to pick up but it hits with more power at impact.
Al

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »
I just ran 65% nitro this past Sunday in my Fox 36X BB turning a 8x8 prop and using a baby pacifier as a fuel tank. I was setting the needle running the engine from the rich side, I pinch the fuel tubing to here the RPM peak up. I noticed that with the high nitro the engine was slow to spool up and would even cut out when I gave a little pinch to the fuel line. It’s a little tricky to set, I have to turn the needle in real slow to peak and back it up richer. When I use 10% nitro the engine spools up quick with a little pinch of the fuel line and is easy to set the needle. It’s like hitting something with a sledgehammer compared to using regular hammer, slower to pick up but it hits with more power at impact.
Al

Depends on what other stuff is in the fuel mix, from my experience. I used a lot of 65% nitro home-brew back in those days. Not in combat engines, but ST speed engines. Though I experimented with 75%, I always came back to 65% as being a practical maximum. All of my best speeds were done with 65% and K&B glowplugs, which is why I'm such a fan of Ohlsson Corp. glowplugs...they made them for K&B. I screwed around with Fireball glowplugs way too long, and suffered a lot of blown seals. No ice cream involved, if you've heard that old joke.  LL~ Steve

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2023, 07:50:39 AM »
, and suffered a lot of blown seals. No ice cream involved, if you've heard that old joke.  LL~ Steve

Oh!
Nice!!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2024, 05:40:27 PM »
Oh!
Nice!!
Tell the joke, I don’t know it. 👎
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2024, 09:15:18 AM »
Tell the joke, I don’t know it. 👎

It is not a PG joke.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here