News:

• May 07, 2024, 07:05:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ultralite .40 muffler  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Terry Fancher

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Ultralite .40 muffler
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:46:19 AM »
Hi Randy,

I'm finally getting around to building something for the little .40 I bought from you probably three years ago.  Around that same time you sent me a header muffler that I tried on a .61 with some success although it was not particularly quiet.  I'm wondering if that would be appropriate for the .40 or, preferably, if you'd developed any sort of expansion muffler for that engine?

Ted Fancher

p.s. thanks for all your fine products.  When we hand out plaudits for keeping the event alive and kicking all too often guys like yourself are forgotten.

Offline Terry Fancher

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
Re: Ultralite .40 muffler
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:54:29 AM »
Randy,

Sorry, just went to your web site and saw that you have some sort of rear exhaust muffler in addition to the header muffler.  Found no picture however.  Can you describe it and/or post a picture so I can make a mental calculation about how it will fit into my project?

Thanks.

Ted

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:54:56 PM »
Randy,

Sorry, just went to your web site and saw that you have some sort of rear exhaust muffler in addition to the header muffler.  Found no picture however.  Can you describe it and/or post a picture so I can make a mental calculation about how it will fit into my project?

Thanks.

Ted

Hi Ted

I now have  several  options for the mufflers on all  PAs  plus many mor e motors
I have the large  slide on muffler that I believe you have. ( slides onto and seals on any 3\4 inch tube header
I now have a small  slide on muffler 1\2 size of the original but works very well. It by the way has  an internal baffle

I also have  several sizes of header muffler, they look just like a header but have a muffler chamber slid inside them . I make them in  3\4 inch , 1 inch, 1.25 inch and  1.5 inch rise. for all motors from 36 to 75

I am going to take  photos  and  post  them  soon.  What plane  are you going to put thi s  in?

Regards
Randy

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 10:35:25 AM »
Randy,

Thanks, I'll look forward to the photos.

Re the airplane, nothing real special, except to me.  I've always liked the lines of Sihavey's Gypsy and old friend Bill Fitzgerald built a gorgeous .46 sized one for the '74 nats.  I saw the article in FM for the .35 version,  looked in the engine locker and saw that pretty little .40 and said "I've got to do this".  With any luck it might be ready for VSC.

Ted

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 09:39:12 PM »
Hi Ted

I am out of town at this  time.  I will take  photos  when I return on (tuesday night)Wednesday. 
I think you have the large slide on tube muffler for  rear ex,  the new one is about 1/2 that size  ,
The header mufflers  are just exactly like a header with the tail turrett.
They are  4 1/2 inches long  and  as  stated  they come in  3/4 , 1  , 1.25 and  1.5 inch  rise
The large muffler you have  is  oversize  and meant to be that way, it is quiet  if you use  a  8 or  9 mm  long silicone  exhaust  deflctor, It is  over sized  to be able to do this

Regards

Randy

Kim Doherty

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:21:09 PM »
Ted,

I have not used the header muffler but have used both the Aluminum Tube and Carbon Fiber Mufflers on the P.A. 40 Ultra Lite. They both work very well. The Carbon Fiber Muffler is very light. I added the pressure tap and shortened the rear cone by 1/2" to save some space. If Randy is still making these, I would go with the Carbon Fiber one.

Kim

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 11:34:49 PM »
Kim

Thanks.  Actually, I was thinking of your airplane/engine when I sent that message.  I've got a picture similar to that of your ship in the air at the WCs in Muncie.  Something light like that is what I had in mind since it's going in a classic sized ship.  The weight needs to be kept within reason.

Did you get that from Randy??

If so, Randy, are they still available?

Ted

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 08:49:36 PM »
Hey Ted; Here is a picture of Joe Reinhard's Gypsy I took at the Sam Champs.
Jim Kraft

Offline Terry Fancher

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 08:23:02 AM »
Hi Ted

I am out of town at this  time.  I will take  photos  when I return on (tuesday night)Wednesday. 
I think you have the large slide on tube muffler for  rear ex,  the new one is about 1/2 that size  ,
The header mufflers  are just exactly like a header with the tail turrett.
They are  4 1/2 inches long  and  as  stated  they come in  3/4 , 1  , 1.25 and  1.5 inch  rise
The large muffler you have  is  oversize  and meant to be that way, it is quiet  if you use  a  8 or  9 mm  long silicone  exhaust  deflctor, It is  over sized  to be able to do this

Regards

Randy

Hi Randy,

Actually, the only "muffler" I've got for a rear exhaust PA is the header muffler you sent several years ago.  I used it for a while in the T.P. learning about non-piped ops on the .61.  Works very well by the way. 

The slide on muffler sounds like what I need.  Anxious to see pix.  Is it "tunable" by the way since it slides onto a header??

Ted

Offline Terry Fancher

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 08:26:02 AM »
Hey Ted; Here is a picture of Joe Reinhard's Gypsy I took at the Sam Champs.

WOW!!!!

And now if I could only build and paint like that.

Thanks for the pix, although they almost make building one an exercise in futility.  Only saving grace is Joe and I will likely only fly together at the nats.  I can be humble for a few days. ;D

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 09:15:57 AM »
I wish it was after Christmas so I could use the digital camera I am hopefully getting to take a picture of my slide-on rear exhaust muffler.  Its a very cool bit of equipment!

Steve
Steve

Online Mark Messmer

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 02:51:47 PM »
I'm one of Joe's flying buddies.  He and I flew a couple of weeks ago, and he has his Gypsy flying really well.  Joe is heading out west the end of January and will be at the VSC flying his Gypsy.  Maybe you guys can get together and compare notes while you are there.

Mark

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 09:19:48 AM »
I asked Randy about the carbon fiber mufflers, they are no longer available, the person that was making them is no longer doing that. He has a newer, light-weight slide on the header muffler, with a baffle. Real nice. 

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 11:21:09 PM »
Randy,

Thanks.

Ted

Hi Ted

I have many  new  muffler and  exhaust systems for mine and many other  motors.
The newest  rear muffler is very light and has a baffle inside.
i will attach a photo of it here

The  rear muffler is  movable in and out  somewhat  , but I really don't advise  trying to get  a  1/4 wave  tuning  effect  from it.
I have ran many of these  and they  work  very well.  I use differant size silicone exhaust deflectors ( 8, 9, 10,11 mm )
for differant displacement  engines

There are  many  people that have been using  these  for  quite  a while now.  The  new  small RE  muffler is in use in several  smaller  stunt ships  with the  Merlin series PA 40 RE

I also have several types of header mufflers, I will post a  photo  of some of those  very  soon

Regards
Randy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 02:41:35 PM by RandySmith »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 11:30:03 PM »
This is  a  few  of the  new  2007 model  CF Aero pipes  and  some  of the many  exhaust  systems  I have  in stock now

Randy

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 05:10:03 PM »
Randy,

Thanks for the pix.  Unfortunately, I must be a little dense because I'm not sure I understand the one with the slide on muffler.  Are there two different types of muffler in that picture?  The one on top looks a lot different from those in the middle and the parts at the bottom are a little confusing.  I'm assuming the "O" ring is the seal where it slides on the header and the baffle goes inside.  What I can't quite make out is the aluminum part on the far right.  Maybe it's the camera angle that has me confused.  Is that the aft part of the muffler above?  It looks flat rather than rounded.

Last questions, what's the overall length and weight of the two mufflers in that pic?  Is the top one a slide on for a header as well?  Is the larger one noticably quieter than the shorter one?

Thanks,

Ted

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 06:32:03 PM »
Ted
it looks like the right part is the "tail cone" the left part is the body and the o ring and the baffle go in between
at least thats what it looks like to me. the middle two appear to be the assembled parts
Dave jr.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 08:22:31 PM »
Randy,

Thanks for the pix.  Unfortunately, I must be a little dense because I'm not sure I understand the one with the slide on muffler.  Are there two different types of muffler in that picture?  The one on top looks a lot different from those in the middle and the parts at the bottom are a little confusing.  I'm assuming the "O" ring is the seal where it slides on the header and the baffle goes inside.  What I can't quite make out is the aluminum part on the far right.  Maybe it's the camera angle that has me confused.  Is that the aft part of the muffler above?  It looks flat rather than rounded.

Last questions, what's the overall length and weight of the two mufflers in that pic?  Is the top one a slide on for a header as well?  Is the larger one noticably quieter than the shorter one?

Thanks,

Ted

Hi Ted,

I know Randy will get back to this, but, he took the time to show me all this at Huntersville in October, so......

Both types of rear mufflers are shown in the picture.  The large one at the top and the other three are the small one. Both slide onto the header.  The small one is shown "as installed" with a rubber ducky, and also broken down.  It is all cnc machined, threaded, and the O ring seals the tail cone and body capturing the baffle.  Randy suggests a pipe mount to secure the rear of the muffler just as we do our pipes.

I have the large one to use with a PA 51.  The smaller one is MUCH lighter.  Sorry, but I cannot comment on how much quieter the larger one is versus the smaller one.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 11:10:25 PM »
Randy,

Hi Ted

Bill has it right,  The top 2 mufflers in the picture are the large and medium slide on  rear mufflers.

The 3rd one down is the  medium muffler slid onto a header. It seals  with a 500 degree  Viton O ring.
The 4th one down is  the  medium  muffler  before it is put together...showing the individual pieces

Regards
Randy

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 04:58:30 PM by Bill Little »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 11:42:13 AM »
Ted

These are the Header mufflers, they are shown with the  CNC  tube ultralite mufflers  and the CNC tongue mufflers
The rear header mufflers come in 6 differant sizes  and  you adjust them for  different engines by simply varying the  silicone deflector  and  or  venturie  size.

These have been in use by many people for  several years  now. On 36 to 75 size motors.

Let me know if any question are needed  answering

I included  the  quarter  just for  size  reference

Regards
Randy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 03:24:25 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 09:05:12 AM »
Thanks Randy,

Already have a header muffler and was looking for something a little quieter.  You should have received a private email to order one of the small slip on ones in the previous pictures.

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »
Randy,

Thanks a bunch.  Got the muffler in the mail when we got back from Seattle today.  Shareen and I had to go up there to help her mom out after she took a tumble and needed some surgery on broken bones in her thumb.  Ouch!

The little muffler is beautiful.  Only downside was the lack of a secondary suspension point to elimiate the need for an additional tie down device.  I was wondering if you'd considered installing a series of three equally spaced set screws 120 degrees apart just forward of the baffle.  The set screws could be as small  as 2-56 and threaded through the muffler body.  They could  then be modestly tightened to trap the muffler body equidistant around the header simultaneously securing the muffler body to the header.

Just a thought.

Merry Christmas,

Ted

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2006, 10:05:35 AM »
HI Ted

The problem with that is it will break the header at the joint.  You will need to hold the muffler at the rear, it needs to be  supported.
You cannot  have the whole rear header and muffler just hanging off of the 2 bolts that thread into the muffler. vibration will crack it.
What most everyone does is attach  a  J bolt or  pipe mount or a pipe standoff to the plane at or near  where the rear bulkhead is (some call this  F-2)  you can just use a zip tie to snug the backend of the muffler down, it doesn't take much at all to hold it.
All you really need to do it just stop teh backend from vibrating, and  add a little support to the rear of the muffler.
In my plane I used a pipe standoff at  the rear bulkhead just at the wing  LE  and  put a  zip tie around it and the  silicone  exhaust deflector. it hold the backend of the muffler and  kills  off  any vibration

Regards
Randy

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 07:03:47 PM »
sounds right to me, Randy.  I'll tie down the back end.

Merry Christmas.

Ted

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 09:48:44 AM »
Randy, I also am looking for one of your mufflers for the .40 RE light that I luckily won on the Stunt Hangar Christmas Drawing. The engine is going in the Brodak Ares that I also won.
I am a sport flyer and know nothing about rear exhaust engines.
I think I would like the Header muffler but don't know how to figure what rise I need for that engine/plane combo.
How do I figure what I need?
Is the rubber exhaust deflector included? If not what is the price of that. It is not listed in your catalog that was include with the engine
Would it be better to e-mail you or call on the phone?
Jerry Bohn

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 03:35:20 PM »
Hello Ted

You will also see  that when you support it at the  rear  there is no need  to attach anything else to keep it on the header.
Please let me know if you run into anything that you have a question on, but I think once you set this up it will work as expected for you..

Regards
Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 03:37:17 PM »
Randy, I also am looking for one of your mufflers for the .40 RE light that I luckily won on the Stunt Hangar Christmas Drawing. The engine is going in the Brodak Ares that I also won.
I am a sport flyer and know nothing about rear exhaust engines.
I think I would like the Header muffler but don't know how to figure what rise I need for that engine/plane combo.
How do I figure what I need?
Is the rubber exhaust deflector included? If not what is the price of that. It is not listed in your catalog that was include with the engine
Would it be better to e-mail you or call on the phone?

Hi Jerry

The piece is  32.95 with the  deflector included. I would think you can run either a  3\4 inch or  a  1 inch drop header muffler in an Ares.

Sparky  has a  PA 40 UL and header  muffler in one  now.

call  or email if you need any other info

Regards

Randy

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 08:18:22 PM »
Yep Thats the one I used.
AMA 12366

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 03:19:06 PM »
Sparky,Thanks for confiming the right size.

Randy the check is in the mail, really.
Jerry Bohn

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here