News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:54:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TT 46 Pro Bearings  (Read 3729 times)

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
TT 46 Pro Bearings
« on: December 16, 2023, 04:20:30 AM »
Got a TT 46 Pro.  Am told the bearings probably need replaced.
Never did anything with bearings.  How difficult is this?  Do I need a bearing puller, etc.?
Just glad to be here

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
Re: TT 46 Pro Bearings
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 04:40:13 AM »
I have replaced brearings only once, and that was with the help of someone who had done it many times before.  This was a few years ago so I do not remember all the details.  No special tools were needed, although maybe some engines would require specialty tools.

From what I remember, the engine was heated in an oven, maybe a toaster oven, and the rear bearing came right out.  The front bearing was a bit more difficult but we managed to get both replaced rather easily.

I never had a Thunder Tiger.  I am wondering if they are similar to the Magnum/ASP line.  I have a few of the Magnum/ASP engines and they are good runners.  To get the Magnums and ASPs CL ready, all I needed was a venturi and needle assembly.  No other mods were required.  Messing any further with them would most likely ruin them.  I bet the same would hold true for the Thunder Tiger.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 06:50:09 AM »
Dave,
Ball Bearing replacement is not to difficult. Basically, you disassemble the engine, heat the case (I have used a simple touch, some use an oven), the front can be tap out with a wood stick, usually the back can be removed by just tapping the case on a wood surface it drops out. To install again heat the case and push the new bearings in place, use a wood dowl to tap them an make sure they are all the way in. While the case is still hot (could reheat a bit) push the crankshaft in place and spin it. Let it all cool completely then reassemble the rest of the components.

Here is a YouTube video that shows the basics:   

You can get new bearing from Boca Bearing:   https://www.bocabearings.com/

Best,    DennisT

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 06:53:15 AM »
Dave,
Ball Bearing replacement is not to difficult. Basically, you disassemble the engine, heat the case (I have used a simple touch, some use an oven), the front can be tap out with a wood stick, usually the back can be removed by just tapping the case on a wood surface it drops out. To install again heat the case and push the new bearings in place, use a wood dowl to tap them an make sure they are all the way in. While the case is still hot (could reheat a bit) push the crankshaft in place and spin it. Let it all cool completely then reassemble the rest of the components.

Thank you

Here is a YouTube video that shows the basics:   

You can get new bearing from Boca Bearing:   https://www.bocabearings.com/

Best,    DennisT
Just glad to be here

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 08:22:56 AM »
After seeing that video, that was pretty much the method we used.  As I said, the front bearing needed some persuasion to come out.  Other than that, no problems.

Do the bearings in your engine seem rough and gritty when the crank is turned?  Can you feel that roughness?

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 08:25:09 AM »
I have not even tried to turn the engine over.  I got this engine from another individual who told me that the bearings probably need work.
Now I just need to find the replacement bearings.
Project.
Just glad to be here

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 08:42:48 AM »
It might be a good idea to be sure the bearings are needing replacement.  No need to replace something if still good.

If the engine had not been properly stored, then the bearings might have corrosion on them. 

Online Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 10:14:56 AM »
You can remove the bearings and measure them  or take the bearings to a bearing dealer and have them measure and order them . You could check the Boca bearings site and get the size there. Maybe order from Boca ?

Brad

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 07:40:00 PM »
The plobrem is usually CORROSION , going on for RUST , which laps out nice A B C fits in a few frights . Then the whole things useless .

The BEARINGS are the same as the FS & FSR OS , rear G series Tigres etc etc , so No Problem . Dont go cheap & nasty though .

Throw the rear in on the crank , Likely the front too . To gettem SQUARE . Heat Gun means only one ends to hot , Gloves dont hurt in either case .

Pro - 46 Thunder Tiger Parts · Part Description / Location: Bearing 9.53 x 22.23 x 7.14 · Part Description / Location: Rear Bearing 17 x 35 x 8.

maybe , a SEALED front , you whip ONE out , seal to front . seal & sheild are two differant things .

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 05:16:39 PM »
After seeing that video, that was pretty much the method we used.  As I said, the front bearing needed some persuasion to come out.  Other than that, no problems.

That's because the front bearing is the one that takes all the thrust force. It has to be pretty tight to not work its way out even in the hottest conditions. The rear is usually just snug enough to not move around, it doesn't take any axial loads.

Brett

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 06:14:56 PM »
   That's because the front bearing is the one that takes all the thrust force. It has to be pretty tight to not work its way out even in the hottest conditions. The rear is usually just snug enough to not move around, it doesn't take any axial loads.
Oops, wrong way round. The rear bearing takes all of the thrust loadings as well as the combustion pressures. The front bearing simply offers support for the crankshaft. In the case of a plain bearing engine the thrust load is on the crank web against the crankcase same as with engines with only a rear ballrace and bushed front end.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 06:43:35 PM »
Oops, wrong way round. The rear bearing takes all of the thrust loadings as well as the combustion pressures. The front bearing simply offers support for the crankshaft. In the case of a plain bearing engine the thrust load is on the crank web against the crankcase same as with engines with only a rear ballrace and bushed front end.

On most engines, like the ST46, the crankshaft face doesn't even bear on the bearing race. That's what the aluminum spacer is there for. What you tighten up on is the inner race of the front bearing.  The rear floats on the crankshaft and handles the radial loads (which are *vastly* higher).

It's different with a plain-bearing engine, of course.

Brett

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 08:18:04 PM »
I would think the crank and front bearing would ultimately migrate forward until the crank seats against the rear bearing. On Supertigres with the little aluminum spacer ring, the spacer also keeps the front and rear bearings separated enough that they don't squeeze the case.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 08:57:23 PM »
Dave, If you want to send engine and bearings through the mail I can do it for free. It takes some special tooling and the placement of the front bearing is critical. Don't watch that video where he slaps the front bearing in against a block of wood with his fingers.

MM

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 09:25:48 PM »
I would think the crank and front bearing would ultimately migrate forward until the crank seats against the rear bearing. On Supertigres with the little aluminum spacer ring, the spacer also keeps the front and rear bearings separated enough that they don't squeeze the case.

Right. That means the crank is not pushing up against the back of the rear bearing.  If it does, it would preload the bearing, and shimming it exactly would be extremely critical.

Brett

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 06:52:40 PM »
Or, the crank could be contacting the rear bearing, and the front bearing may be moved forward from its fully seated position. I can easily see this happening if the crank is given a "tap" from the rear of the engine while seating the bearings, especially in a warm or hot case.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 09:05:25 PM »
You want to check the wist pin is clean & free , while your at it .

Tweezers for piston circlips . maybe in a plastic bag . at least somewhere where if it ' jumps ship ' it wont dematerialise in the scenary . tho if you dont blink you usually find them two days later .

3M scotchbrite to polish / clean steel shafts . Putting the wrist pin on a piece of 1/16 wire , with the ends bent - if polishing on a wheel , saves having to hunt for THAT if its spat out of your fingers .

USED 3M for polishing , and cleaning piston wrist pin lands . or 600 wet & dry on glass - spinning the shafts - Front row guys would use 1200 , then compound , for  a mirror finish . just CLEAN will do .

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 09:56:46 PM »
You heat the case to aprox 300 degrees. You put the rear bearing on the crank and put it in the case. The OD seats in the case and the shaft seats on the ID which pushes the inner race forward.

Holding the parts in that position, you push the front bearing in the case with a flat tool that pushes both inner and outter races the same until the inner race contacts the shaft. The front bearing outter race should not seat in the bearing pocket. The back of the front bearing pocket is only there for clearance.

When the case cools, the two outter races move toward each other and the shaft spins free. When the engine is running the front case doesn't get anywhere near 300 degrees so the bearing clearance stays good, the outter race of the front bearing stays locked in place and the thrust is taken up by the rear bearing.

MM 8)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 11:36:52 PM »
You heat the case to aprox 300 degrees. You put the rear bearing on the crank and put it in the case. The OD seats in the case and the shaft seats on the ID which pushes the inner race forward.

Holding the parts in that position, you push the front bearing in the case with a flat tool that pushes both inner and outter races the same until the inner race contacts the shaft. The front bearing outter race should not seat in the bearing pocket. The back of the front bearing pocket is only there for clearance.

When the case cools, the two outter races move toward each other and the shaft spins free. When the engine is running the front case doesn't get anywhere near 300 degrees so the bearing clearance stays good, the outter race of the front bearing stays locked in place and the thrust is taken up by the rear bearing.

MM 8)

Using that theory, how is the preload controlled? Particularly when the crankcase expands faster than the crankshaft - as it heats up, the crankcase will get longer, the crankshaft will stay the same length. Since the front bearing race is hard-locked to both - the inner race between the shoulder of the crank and the tapered washer, and outer in the (as noted earlier) tight press fit bearing - the only thing left to prevent preload is the rear inner race sliding on the shaft.

Even if you thought the assembly should have preload - which it certainly shouldn't- you would need something a lot better to control it, a sliding element with a wavy washer, etc.

Brett
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 03:00:14 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2023, 09:06:06 AM »
Gentlemen,

Lots of wrong information in this thread. in this kind of engines (cheap, low power) the rear bearing should under no circumstances take the axial load. If it does, it will be quickly ruined by the dynamic loads when the bearing turns from radial- to angular contact bearing. When correctly set, you should be able to see a 0,2-0,3mm gap between the rear of inner ring and front face of shaft counterweight.
Front bearing should be pressed all the way to bottom of its housing, otherwise you don't have a reference point. If the reference point is wrong (conrod not well centered in cylinder bore or crankpin rubbing the backplate, you must shim either the back of outer ring or inner ring until it is correct.
Shaft/inner ring fit should be easy-ish sliding fit in the front bearing. It's not super critical as the front inner ring is clamped between drive cone and shaft step.
Rear bearing/shaft fit should be a little tighter. So loose that the ring will find its axial position during the first seconds when the engine runs again, but so tight that the inner ring won't slide on shaft.
It's a typical fault at least in DR's and other eastern stunt engines, that the front bearing press fit is too loose. Apparently they don't use bearings with big enough radial clearance and thus are forced to leave the shrink fit a little on the loose side. In that case, Loctite is an acceptable fix as correctly set bearings will last forever. Badly made setup doesn't last long. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2023, 12:03:51 PM »
Gentlemen,

Lots of wrong information in this thread. in this kind of engines (cheap, low power) the rear bearing should under no circumstances take the axial load. If it does, it will be quickly ruined by the dynamic loads when the bearing turns from radial- to angular contact bearing. When correctly set, you should be able to see a 0,2-0,3mm gap between the rear of inner ring and front face of shaft counterweight.
Front bearing should be pressed all the way to bottom of its housing, otherwise you don't have a reference point. If the reference point is wrong (conrod not well centered in cylinder bore or crankpin rubbing the backplate, you must shim either the back of outer ring or inner ring until it is correct.
Shaft/inner ring fit should be easy-ish sliding fit in the front bearing. It's not super critical as the front inner ring is clamped between drive cone and shaft step.
Rear bearing/shaft fit should be a little tighter. So loose that the ring will find its axial position during the first seconds when the engine runs again, but so tight that the inner ring won't slide on shaft.
It's a typical fault at least in DR's and other eastern stunt engines, that the front bearing press fit is too loose. Apparently they don't use bearings with big enough radial clearance and thus are forced to leave the shrink fit a little on the loose side. In that case, Loctite is an acceptable fix as correctly set bearings will last forever. Badly made setup doesn't last long. L

Thank you!  It's not super-complicated to figure out how it has to work.

I note that it is *not at all* uncommon to find cases where people disassembled their engine or replaced the bearings, and end up bound up because one or the other bearings have not been properly seated. With predictable results - it's a race condition between the bearing failing from overload and heat, and the case expanding from heat enough to release the rear outer bearing race and letting it find it's own clearance, or spinning in the case or on the shaft.

ST46s were well known for having the inner race spin on the crankshaft because the rear inner race fit was a little too loose.

BTW, you are a guy who would know - has anybody tried preloaded or angular-contact bearings in  model engines?  The notional reason you might want it is to reduce the shock/nonlinear forces when it takes up the slack upon firing. The reason you might not is that it is too hard to control in this sort of environement, and the need for shaft positional accuracy is nonexistent. I ask just because I am much more familiar with preload and angular-contact bearing systems from spacecraft reaction wheel, and more importantly, gyros.

Brett

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2023, 01:07:00 PM »
[quote author=Brett  ..has anybody tried preloaded or angular-contact bearings in  model engines?  The notional reason you might want it is to reduce the shock/nonlinear forces when it takes up the slack upon firing. The reason you might not is that it is too hard to control in this sort of environement, and the need for shaft positional accuracy is nonexistent. I ask just because I am much more familiar with preload and angular-contact bearing systems from spacecraft reaction wheel, and more importantly, gyros.

Brett
[/quote]

I really don't know, but I doubt. If you think how the radial forces go through the bearing, I'd guess that there would be a problem with balls wanting to move sideways in the groove. No matter how they are preloaded, things will flex, too. For example the crankshaft bends a considerable amount from the combustion forces. For this reason the model engine-specific bearings have not just a bigger C-rating but also a bigger ring groove radius to allow the flexing. Gyros and turbine wheels are another story, they spin with constant speed.
Google the FMV-story, there Robbie explains the bearing setup in their T/R engine. I guess it's kind of a pre-loading, as racing engines require much stronger fittings and the setup must be correct in running temperature. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2023, 02:56:20 PM »
No matter how they are preloaded, things will flex, too. For example the crankshaft bends a considerable amount from the combustion forces. For this reason the model engine-specific bearings have not just a bigger C-rating but also a bigger ring groove radius to allow the flexing. Gyros and turbine wheels are another story, they spin with constant speed.
Google the FMV-story, there Robbie explains the bearing setup in their T/R engine. I guess it's kind of a pre-loading, as racing engines require much stronger fittings and the setup must be correct in running temperature. L

I was going to point out why you don't necessarily want or need precision bearings. full=complement, or ceramic bearings for model applications, just the regular "economy" steel bearings, because you have to accommodate things like the crank bending, etc. and you want it to be loose enough to not bind up.

I also note, just as an observation, that the best 4-2 break engines I have see run have been *incredibly free" through the bottom end travel. In the Retro and other similar engines, it is by design, in other cases (like some McCoy 40's the late PTG had) just by lapping out the plain bearing to an almost absurd degree. One of the engines had enough play in the bearing that the prop tips would move freely about 1/8-3/16". These engines were originally setup up by Dick McCoy himself, for someone going to the 1960 WC with no time for break-in. Oil flew all over, but it had a remarkably abrupt 4-2 and 2-4, now smearing back and forth over seconds. The Retros I have flown were the same, they feel like TR engines they are so free, but instant transitions back and forth, FAR better than any ST46/60.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2023, 05:45:19 PM »

This thread got off the track a bit, but to be clear, both bearings need to be seated all the way into the pockets and straight. When you are putting them in, push only on the *outer* race, do not push on the inner race at all. You don't want to put the force of installation through the balls.  Note that sometimes you have to push on the inner race of the front bearing to remove it, you should probably not use it due to possible damage caused by pushing it out, particularly if you had to hit it with something.

You want the least expensive bearings at Boca, do not get high-precision, full-complement, or ceramic, for the reason Lauri mentions above.

And, as always, unless you are really sure you have a problem, avoid taking the engine apart to just change the bearings, or for any other reason. Just the misunderstandings in this thread show that you need to know what you are doing to avoid causing a bigger problem than you have now. Of course, if you have to do it, by all means go ahead, but be careful.

BTW, I know for a fact that several Walker Trophies were awarded to people (actually just one person) using engines that sounded like they were grinding themselves to death due to bad bearings. It is an absolutely unmistakable sound.

Brett
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 09:31:34 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2023, 07:58:25 PM »
These things are called SPHERICAL ROLLER BEARING , for Crank shaft WHIP . Which can shatter standard ' parralel roller ' roller bearings .

The NORTON ' superblend ' was a single row barrel roller . Dunstall had done deep track heavy duty Ball races , which waylayed the result of CRANK ' BOW ' where the central flywheel
gets around 4 thou. flex per revolution . Cunning old swine ' pre cambered ' cranks , so as they were STRAIGHT under maximum duress - thereby loosing less output losses , thereby
GOING FASTER .

Theyed tried first , radiused edge parrallel barrel rollers , as symptom was ' the ends dug in ' Failure evidence . The DEEP TRACK Ball Races just carried greater load than standard .
P 24 & 26 Here . http://archives.jampot.dk/general/Dunstall_Catalogue_1969.pdf . ANY ball race would have SOME linear ' side load ' acceptance / capabilty .

Cyclic , oscilating , & more ' skidding 'is a worry . Ducati roller mains & XR H. Dav. benifit from PRE WARMING the OIL , as a countermeasure to oil wedge causing skidding & cosequent failure .

TRIUMPH , at one time  , had ' thrust ' ball race - timing side or worse primary ( drive ) side , open ' ball race . where the groove was removed inward on the inner race - caged outer .
so ' free sliding ' to account for case expansion . Perhaps as much as 10 thou. linear , across the crankshaft housing - in the alloy case .Typical for Ball Races to work loose on the shaft.
Otherwise . fret . Like the shiny marks on a crankcase housing if the bearing outer has ' spun ' .

Id think muddle injuns just run anything thats proved acceptable reliability . As In if theyve continually failed , theyve put a bigger one in for better reserve . Like Most things !   ;D
or a more expensive , better quality , or greater load capeability one . But Mass Production costings get bigger is better , if the accountant want to keep their expense accounts .  S?P

Typically , 7 thou. perhaps ' end float ' is required in a pommy twin , on set up . but not mort than 10 . on a 40 or 45 cu. inch injun . Ours are a bit smaller . 2 thou. might be mentioned .or less .

https://web.archive.org/web/20060923041135/http://home.wxs.nl/~wakke007/fmv/fmv_7.htm

https://www.real-classic.co.uk/2018/02/15/classic-techniques-superblend-bearings-part-one/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 08:38:24 PM by Air Ministry . »

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2023, 09:10:18 AM »
Quote from: Brett
    You want the least expensive bearings at Boca, do not get high-precision, full-complement, or ceramic,...
[/quote

Don't confuse high precision with high clearance. You can have high clearance bearings with better precision balls, roundness and grooves. High CLEARANCE is needed, they tolerate stronger interference fits. Typically C3 or C4.
With Retro's it goes so that you take a bunch of CCCP standard bearings and check them one by one. The ones with bigger play are better. L

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2023, 11:04:27 PM »
Don't confuse high precision with high clearance. You can have high clearance bearings with better precision balls, roundness and grooves. High CLEARANCE is needed, they tolerate stronger interference fits. Typically C3 or C4.
With Retro's it goes so that you take a bunch of CCCP standard bearings and check them one by one. The ones with bigger play are better. L

I was referring to those available at Boca Bearings, the "economy" type are a relatively loose fit steel bearing. They have, I think, 4 different grades, the least expensive are the ones you want for a model engine.

Brett

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2023, 07:43:22 AM »
I had to look into it as I thought Boca offered C3 (at least for the main) for most engines sets, The TT46 economy set are normal clearance and premium sets are C3. Boca is a great source because they do have just about anything.
Greg

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2023, 10:10:08 AM »
I had to look into it as I thought Boca offered C3 (at least for the main) for most engines sets, The TT46 economy set are normal clearance and premium sets are C3. Boca is a great source because they do have just about anything.

I was getting bearings from a bearing shop. They guys at King Bearing in Mountain Veiw CA were remarkable, they would just glance at your example, walk straight to the right bin (out of thousands), grab it, hand it to you, "That will be $6", bam, 30 seconds total.

The rear bearing on the OS40/46VF was a special size that was unavailable for a while. Boca somehow got them, and they were far better than the originals, so I started going with them.

Brett

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2023, 04:14:08 PM »
Seller said it might need some bearing work.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2023, 05:28:45 PM »

You can tell the care with which it was stored - buried in a swamp.

Brett

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2023, 01:24:14 AM »
MM.  Just make it a paperweight.
Just glad to be here

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2023, 01:33:40 AM »
MM.  Just make it a paperweight.

I am not sure how this happens, but I have done a lot of various hobbies that involved restoring things - old radios, for instance - and I am continually astonished at how poor a shape people let stuff get. I have had old portable tube radios that I swear, they must have found in a shipwreck or something. I have also seen model engines that have been at the bottom of ponds for a month. It more-or-less looked like that.

BTW, if that is all there is, the crankshaft is almost certainly still OK, just dunk it in Evapo-rust for a day or two, and clean it up with steel wool. Get new bearings and at least that part of it should be OK.

Brett

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2023, 12:20:58 PM »

Shaft looks ok - before grinding😂 L

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2024, 04:30:36 PM »
The problem with re-building an old engine is that all the nice new parts are on the inside where no one can see them. Cleaned all the rust off the crank web and went with a little gun blue. The journals cleaned up nice and Boca Bearing came through. Ready for installation.

MM 8)

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2024, 05:11:40 PM »
Nice. Cold blue?  I'm a gun guy.  Looks nice.
Just glad to be here

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2024, 09:27:19 AM »
Swamp Thing lives again!

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2024, 10:28:26 AM »
Looks good
Just glad to be here

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2024, 02:37:04 PM »
The TT46 is a very popular RC engine on the resell market.. I went through 7 of them last year.. getting the bearings out is fairly easy .. I have dedicated tools for working on the engines I repair and clean... I don't install high end bearings and have started using a sealed front bearing on all engine I go through... I recently got an Ultra Sonic cleaner .. always take the bearings out before using the cleaner .. I clean bearings with Dawn or Joy dish soap and also use LA Awesome too.. a lot of elbow grease .. I always put the rear bearing on the crank before reinstalling in the case .. I put the front bearing in first ...with plenty of heat it drops right in ... most of the time the case is hot enough to slide the crank in ... I have the prop hub.. spacers or cones ready to go on while the engine is warm... then install a prop so the crank can be spun.. two things happen .. first you can crank the pro down to insure the bearings are seated.. and then spin the crank to "feel" the new bearings.. and if all is right I install the piston rod and piston ... the engine is still warm.. then slide the liner in.. all of this is oiled very liberally.. if the rear bearing does not slide onto the crank .. it needs"Polishing".. I use 600 w/d paper and then fine steel wool and make it shine .. do this until it slide on.. the Merco 49 and 61 engines can be real pains with the rear bearings .... I hate working on Irvine 40s.. the larger Fox and ST GS/S engines are kinda fun to work on.. over the last 15 yrs I have done over 800 engines .. I know a couple of engine guys who never reuse engine bearings .. Its how the feel before taking them out that helps me decide ... Many engines have plenty of life left in them...  there is more details but this is what I basically do ... and try to do it the same way every time.. I use air tool oil for my lubricant .

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2024, 09:14:39 PM »
The front bearing pocket is always cut deeper than it needs to be. No engine manufacture is going to hold that tolerance because it would mean also holding the same tolerance on the shaft or custom matching the shaft and the case. It's just so much easier to let the shafts main journal stick out into the front bearing pocket and position the bearing there. If you put the front bearing in first and seat it down all the way then the crank will be too far back and not in line with the cylinder. Most engines can still run like that but, it's not how it was designed to work. See post #17 above.

MM 8)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2024, 09:38:56 PM »
The front bearing pocket is always cut deeper than it needs to be. No engine manufacture is going to hold that tolerance because it would mean also holding the same tolerance on the shaft or custom matching the shaft and the case. It's just so much easier to let the shafts main journal stick out into the front bearing pocket and position the bearing there. If you put the front bearing in first and seat it down all the way then the crank will be too far back and not in line with the cylinder. Most engines can still run like that but, it's not how it was designed to work. See post #17 above.

MM 8)

No. Lauri and I both explained why, and if you measure it, it lines up correctly when you seat it completely.

Brett

p.s. the only reason that your proposed method works without binding up the entire crank bearing assembly  is that you are doing it at 300 degrees. This makes the case as long as it could ever be, plus some, so when you do your incorrect seating of the front bearing, when it cools, the case shortens and the crankshaft slips backwards providing the required clearance. It's still misaligned but at least it doesn't bind up and fail almost immediately, as it would likely do if you did it at room temperature.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 04:04:47 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2024, 02:17:55 PM »
MM 8)

That is 100% incorrect.
     The crankshaft is positioned by the Front bearing (by design) as it is trapped between the front shoulder on the crank and the prop drive. Properly designed and built engines are machined so that with both bearings seated all the way the crankshaft will be located with several thousandths clearance between the rear bearing and the face of the crankweb.  On many high performance engines the Front bearing has a screw in retainer to insure that it is seated and stays there. The rear bearing can't position the crank because the bearing is free to move on the crankshaft. On some high performance engines the inner race of the rear bearing is machined into the crankshaft and the front bearing is still used to position the crank with a screw in retainer and shims if needed to center it with ideal endplay. The bearing pockets are machined for the bearings to be installed into a heated case and once cool still have the proper radial fit. If the fits are correct the bearings do not move ever at normal operating temps. If assembled correctly, the only endplay you can feel at room temp is the clearance in the front bearing itself.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 09:56:30 PM by Reptoid »
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2024, 04:19:37 PM »
I've been building speed and racing engines for many decades, I'm sorry, you guys are just completely wrong.

MM

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2024, 04:48:50 PM »
I've been building speed and racing engines for many decades, I'm sorry, you guys are just completely wrong.

MM

You have? For whom?  While I don't hang around with too many speed or racing guys, I am at least somewhat informed, and I have never heard anyone talk about you building engines for them.

As previously noted, your mistaken notion still won't cause much of a problem, unless the case gets to 301 degrees, then it will start binding up. You are achieving the requisite clearance by accident, but you do have it.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here