News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trimming props - best methods  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Trimming props - best methods
« on: July 06, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
Guys,
Wondering what methods you have used to trim APC props to smaller diameters? I have used a stick gauge that Windy came up with (a piece of motor mount with the 1/4" bolt in one end with different lengths marked down it). This is a simple way to get both blades the same length.

Now this gets the correct diameter. What I have seen is the tip shapes and airfoil shape at the cut end can cause loss of performance vs. the original molded tip. Anyone find a method to keep the APC prop performance when cutting them down?

Bests,     DennisT

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Trimming props - best methods
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:34:59 PM »
Well, I needed an 11.5" diameter prop, starting from a 12.25 x 3.75 APC (see picture) for my piped .46VF. I first had to drill out the center hole to fit a .250" dowel pin, and then made a template out of poster board. Scribed around the periphery (bottom surface) with a #11 (indexing off the hole and TE). Belt sander took the outline to the scribe lines, and I started scraping the top of the prop with a fairly sharp knife blade. I found out the APC material will actually file quite decently, but scraping works great, followed by a little sanding, balancing, and polishing. Works fine!

But yes, the next step is some 3 blade Brian Ether flat backs or maybe an UC. We'll see on that. But for now, I've got a pretty useful baseline prop.  H^^ Steve
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:52:51 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Trimming props - best methods
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
Get a prop scribe, and use a fine tooth metal hacksaw blade  in one of the small blade handles, Stanley and other make them and you can get them from Walmart  of most hardware stores

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags: props 

Advertise Here