News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Torpedo Green Head .45 Resto  (Read 1143 times)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Torpedo Green Head .45 Resto
« on: April 06, 2019, 10:23:10 PM »
   I picked up a Torpedo .45 Green Head R/C engine at a local swap meet for a buck! It had been crashed but looked to be in good shape, so for a buck I took a gamble on it. I got it separated from the fire wall and nose gear entanglements and set to check it out. A little heat and some light oil and it was loose and turning. It has a Fox .35 drive washer on it of all things! but the piston doesn't look like it has seen much time at all. No blow by or discoloration and the compression is entirely acceptable.
    I am looking for a proper drive washer for it. It has a tapered crank shaft at that point. Does anyone know if any of the other Green Head engines share this part so I know what to look for?
   Also, it had a R/C carb on it. Has anyone got any experience adding any kind of venturi to an R/C version of this engine, and have any specs on what they used? I just may use this thing on some sort of appropriate classic or old time stunt model.
  Thanks a lot in advance,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Torpedo Green Head .45 Resto
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »
I used a K&B 45 green head for a short time.  It had too much vibration.  I think people have a way to balance them via the separate crank rotor, but I never looked into it.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:50:16 PM »
K&B 29R,29S ,green head 35 all have the same thrust washer

give me an address and I will send u one,Bob
rad racer

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:50:23 PM »
PM your adress , theres a few new 45 parts here . Saw that drive washer the other day . Now WHERE was That . >:(

Galv. ish finish , tapered seat .

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 10:03:18 PM »
  Hi Guys;
    I forgot to check back on this post. I'll PM my address to everyone. Jim lee is going to help me with a venturi. Even if it is a bit of a shaker, what old engine isn't? It's nice enough that it deserves to be saved and used!
   Thanks a lot,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »
Dan,

Good luck with your resto project.  We sold several dozen Green Heads in January on eBay.  Below are some photos so you can see what the parts look like on the ones we sold.

Peter

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 06:57:32 PM »
   Hi Peter;
   Thanks for the information. I'm OK for the thrust washer and got one of those coming, then will send the engine to Jim Lee for him to fit a venturi. You don't see many of the .45s. I had a .35 that was incomplete and it was just about the same size as the .45. I compared the .45 to a later model Veco .45 stunt and it's amazing how much larger the Veco is physically! This Torpedo/Veco/K&B evolution thing gets confusing. I have mostly some small bore green heads, and even among those, I never sought them out, they more or less found me in my general buying and selling of stuff. If I get an engine that is incomplete, I try to line up what it needs to make it whole, just because I think it should be, and the guys here and on Stuka Stunt have been great with feeding me bits as I needed them. The Green Head .35 I just mentioned is on it's way to Bob Whitney because he needs the crankshaft for another engine, and he is sending me the thrust washer I need for the .45. Kinda fun swapping and trading and such. And I appreciate the stuff I got from you for the Fox.25s I hope to build up those engines as soon as this coming week and next weekend. i have also been lining up props. Should start cutting parts soon if I can find my work bench!! Looks like you been really busy with the eBay stuff. I haven't paid much attention recently, trying to catch up on some bills and such, but got all the main stuff I needed.
    Thanks again and Type At you later,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here