News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:26:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tongue Mufflers  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Tongue Mufflers
« on: August 19, 2006, 12:45:03 AM »
I understand that tongue mufflers offer less weight and less exhaust gas restriction than conventional mufflers.  Often, additional holes are drilled in tongue mufflers to reduce restriction even further.

From my observations of engines operating with tongue mufflers,  the sound level of the exhaust is hardly less than that of engines running without any mufflerat all.  I'm not sure what the advantage is? 

Perhaps someone can explain.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe Messinger

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tongue Mufflers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:47:26 PM »
You notice the difference when you move away from the engine.  Try it sometime with and without the muffler.  I can tell immediately when a tongue muffler or any muffler is coming loose.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 04:10:54 PM »
I would think the toung muffler directs the sound downward toward the imediate area of the circle. The standard muffler dirests the sound out the back to the surrounding area as it goes arond the circle.
Jerry Bohn

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 07:48:39 PM »
I'm no engineer (at least not an accoustic engineer) but a tongue muffler has several rows of holes in it.  The theory is the exhaust note coming out each row is different than the other rows and some of the sound waves cancel each other out.

The exhaust note is sharper compared to an expansion muffler but not nearly as sharp as an unmuffled exhaust.

Offline SQ8s

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:21:02 AM »
Don McClave and I have been working ON a new/old theory. Don asked me to drill THREE 3/32 Holes in the end of one of my tongue mufflers. We are now seen better engine responce in the 45 and above.
Today we put in twenty flights on his LA-40 and we came up with the conclusion that resonance is reduced and better engine performance is the trade off. I too drilled three holes in my Brodak muffler and YES I too have better overhead grunt. More to come
Scott Riese

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 07:35:14 AM »
Looking forward to your conclusions. Planning on running a Brodak 40 with a tongue muffler on a Ringmaster just for the fun of doing it...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here