News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:05:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To Brian Gardner et.al.:  (Read 1394 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
To Brian Gardner et.al.:
« on: June 20, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »
          Hello:

I am about to mix some fuel for my HP .40 that is equipped with the BG piston and cylinder.  I plan to dump 1 quart of Klotz Techniplate Oil into a 5 quart jug, shake well and go flying.  No nitro or castor oil added.  Is this as simple as it can get when mixing fuels? In the past, the engine ran perfectly on this mix but I am curious if anybody else is running this mix.  If so, how do you like it.  Oh yes, Mr. Gardner suggested this mix and who else would know what his P&C desires.

I have learned that the chip muffler that I tried was perhaps a bit too restrictive as I failed to get a good engine run in either a wet 2 cycle or a 4-2-4 run.  The large DuBro muffler from the 70's gave a great engine run but was very loud and heavy.  I will try the original tube muffler and see if it is  a good match.  If so, problem solved! 
The engine may be running too hot as it is not broken in yet.  It is very difficult to turn over slowly when choking the engine.  Oh yes, as per the starting instructions for my OS go like this:

Get the fuel to spray bar.

Turn engine over for 1-2 seconds without the glow plug being energized.

Energize the glow plug and touch the starter to the engine. INSTART START! No hand flipping required.

I have used this on other engines and it has worked very well.  No sore muscles, fingers and joints the following day! Lol

What mufflers, props and fuels are you using in your BG engines?

Tia,

Frank McCune

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: To Brian Gardner et.al.:
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
         Hi Walt:

You are correct! That jug is a 5 GALLON jug.  I even proofed the post as I thought that I had said QUARTS.  IT WAS DUE TO THE HEAT!!

Remember: Your mind is a terrible thing to waste so use it sparingly! Lol

Be well,

frank mccune

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:58:25 PM »
       Hi Walter:

What are you trying to say in your post? Has the heat also stricken you? Nitro, I don't need no stinking nitro!

frank mccune

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 06:21:52 PM »
          Hello:

I plan to dump 1 quart of Klotz Techniplate Oil into a 5 quart jug, shake well and go flying.  No nitro or castor oil added.

Tia,

Frank McCune

So, how does an engine run on just Klotz oil?  OK, no nitro or any more oil.  Where is the alcohol or is there some other secret ingredient?

Keith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 07:52:01 PM »
Nit pickers.  I know what he means.   Wonder if some of the older engines would work on no nitro fuel? ??? ???
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 05:33:31 AM »
It should be tight when cold and turned over slowly - its an ABC assembly. And don't turn it over slowly cold - flip it briskly.

Hello:

The engine may be running too hot as it is not broken in yet.  It is very difficult to turn over slowly when choking the engine.  Oh yes, as per the starting instructions for my OS go like this:

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 07:08:19 AM »
K&B 40s and the like , people would use a heat gun to expand it a bit , on the fins , for initial start ups .

'Obseved a ST 46 ABC last weekend . Needed belting like diesel , finger on prop flicking wasnt the trick .

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 09:19:56 AM »
It should be tight when cold and turned over slowly - its an ABC assembly. And don't turn it over slowly cold - flip it briskly.

True of almost any AAC/ABC engine, too. I have 20-year-old engines with many flights, and I carelessly turned it over with no glow plug in the other day, and it stuck hard near TDC, had to get a heat gun to get it loose.

Worry when it *stops* doing that.

Brett

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
       Hi John et.al.:

I no longer turn an ABC engine over slowly to get the fuel to the NVA.  I think that I will cover the overflow tube while filling with my finger until the fuel reaches the venturi. Then hit it with the electric starter for 2 seconds with the battery disconnected.  Then connect the battery and touch with electric starter.  This drill has been working very well for me this Summer.

After spending 33 years in the classroom, I should have known that when I post a message, all people may not understand what was said.  One must keep questions and statements very simple and then, not all people will understand what was said.  I expected a bit of latitude on this site. Lol  Sometimes the brightest peoples ask the most stupid questions.  A friend of mine who spent his career teaching post graduate classes, PHD and MD would go wild over a "stupid" question.  I learned like most of other students who wanted to pass the course. do not ask questions!!! His students and I were afraid of him!!!!  He was very smart and could remember every thing that he has previously stated in a lecture and would quote it verbatim!

Be well

John, when living in the old country, I learned to use O.S., Fox, Enya and ST engines without nitro.  For awhile I was using 25% Castor Oil and another place and time I was using 25% Klotz and no nitro in either mixes.  If I remember, a bit of nitro made setting the needle valve less touchy. These were engines from the 70's and were iron an d steel in construction.  My new Brian Gardner HP engines run very well on no nitro as does my stock HP .40 engines.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here