News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tired OS MAX 35S  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Tired OS MAX 35S
« on: March 09, 2006, 03:35:30 AM »
Hello all:

I´ve a well used OS MAX 35S who now is low on compression.
I love the 424 given by these engines.
Is rebuilding it possible? Changing piston-sleeve? Chroming? The main bearin is OK, and the overall condition of the engine is excellent.
If some person knows an estimate of the cost, will be very useful.

Thanks for helping and congratulations, good job!

Manuel.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: Tired OS MAX 35S
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 12:14:36 PM »
Brian Gardner in Australia has had some ABC piston/cylinder sets made for these engines.  Last I heard he was sold out but was taking names for another order. 

I can't make any comments on quality or how well they work as I haven't received mine yet, but the pictures I've seen look good.  There are links to photos and reviews over at stuka stunt. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:51:13 PM by Andrew Hathaway »

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 01:42:02 PM »
Another thing you can try as a temporary fix is to "grow" the piston. I did ths on a Max-III 20 and it worked well. Basically it involves baking the piston in the oven for about an hour. The metal in the piston is partly of a crystal structure that can be converted by heat and in this case it ends slightly expanded, so the piston is tighter in the liner.

I don't have better info than that on me right now, but someone else with expertise can give details.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 06:34:45 PM »
I have 4 short runs on the Brian Gardner ABC P&C assy. It seems very promising.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 05:56:06 AM »
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
I´ve emailed to Brian Gardner, and probably will try heating the piston.

You have a friend in Spain!!

Manuel Crotés.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 07:14:59 AM »
I did some looking, and 475 degrees F for one hour was recommended.  Do not cool the piston, just leave it for a day.  I would assume one could remove it from the oven, just don't put it in water to cool.  If it is worn out, you cannot possibly damage it, and if it works, you have a success.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 07:28:23 PM »
Manuel,

I have "cooked" several iron pistons with some success.All gave me better compression after it was done, and coupled with high castor (29%) content fuel would run quite respectfully.  Never like a "new" engine, though.  Brian's P/S set up will do that and more.

Like was posted, 475*-500* for about an hour.  Cut off the oven and leave it to cool.  After it is cool enough to hold you can set it on the bench and put it back together the next day (or at least a few hours later). 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 08:00:20 PM »
if the piston is trash and you have nothing to loose try a copper tubing cutter cut a groove as high as you can on the piston this will get you some more runs on a junker.
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 11:00:38 PM »
Yes, cutting or scoring a groove is a very good way to restore compression.  I did this on old Torp 19.  Just a very slight groove is all you need, and you may need to lap that just a bit.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 06:24:19 AM »
Yep, "Knurling" a piston works, too!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 10:47:10 AM »
if the piston is trash and you have nothing to loose try a copper tubing cutter cut a groove as high as you can on the piston this will get you some more runs on a junker.

Try to get it as high on the piston as possible. Note it is possible to lose power from a worn con rod.  Leonard sells these on SSW.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 12:58:18 PM »
Thanks again for your help, friends.

I promise all you to relate my experiences after "cooking" my piston.

Regards form Spain.

;)

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 09:45:10 AM »
Hello all.
After "cooking the piston" in my OS, it has gained apreciable compression, not great but usable. #^
Ill try it flying as soon as I have a suitable plane for it. Thanks all for your help!!!!! y1
Regards from Spain.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 09:29:11 AM »
Hello all.
After "cooking the piston" in my OS, it has gained apreciable compression, not great but usable. #^
Ill try it flying as soon as I have a suitable plane for it. Thanks all for your help!!!!! y1
Regards from Spain.

Hi Manuel

One thing you need to check is  the piston wrist pin holes,  They are very  very bad  to wear out quickly on these engines, if yours are sloppy and  worn, it will not  matter  what you do with knurling ( which tends  kill the piston pin holes)  or  cooking.
I have tried cooking many of them  with never  a  success. The  35S  pistons have almost no growth in them  new, and  you will find most all of them will not  grow after being run for a while, you may get a skin baked on them from residue, but I don't think you will have much luck with the baking trick on an OS 35S
As others  have said here ,The best thing you could do is try to find another, or get a lapped  ne w set  from  Brian Gardner.
The only other  real option is to get someone to chrome the sleeve for you and fit the piston to it
Regards
Randy

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 12:02:13 PM »
By the time you pay for getting it all fixed up you will probably be close to the price of a Brodak 40. The B-40 is a drop in replacement using modern materials with more power. I believe they are on backorder at the moment but should have another batch in shortly.

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 12:21:47 PM »
Thanks very much for that appreciable info, will have on mind.
Regards.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 05:09:48 PM »
Hi Manuel

One thing you need to check is  the piston wrist pin holes,  They are very  very bad  to wear out quickly on these engines, if yours are sloppy and  worn, it will not  matter  what you do with knurling ( which tends  kill the piston pin holes)  or  cooking.
I have tried cooking many of them  with never  a  success. The  35S  pistons have almost no growth in them  new, and  you will find most all of them will not  grow after being run for a while, you may get a skin baked on them from residue, but I don't think you will have much luck with the baking trick on an OS 35S
As others  have said here ,The best thing you could do is try to find another, or get a lapped  ne w set  from  Brian Gardner.
The only other  real option is to get someone to chrome the sleeve for you and fit the piston to it
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy,

How much does it cost to have a liner chromed and fit to the piston?

I got a Enya 45 6002 with some deep scratches on the liner and wondering if it would be worth it to fix it.

thanks,

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here