News:

• May 15, 2024, 12:54:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thunder tiger .15  (Read 474 times)

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Thunder tiger .15
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
I just bought a few series 21 McCoy's nib off the bay that the seller got at an estate sale and he threw this in with the bunch it was castored tight but a little liquid wrench and the heat gun loosened it right up. I am going to dissasemble it as I am sure the rod is stuck on the wrist pin it seems to have good compression though. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these engines. I am thinking about using it in a Perky for the postal contest and if it runs good maybe a Junior Lightning Streak or one of Kieth Sandberg's Challenger .15's. I am going to use an AP Yellow Jacket venturi and needle valve on it, it came with an R/C carb and a muffler but I have a Magnum .15 muffler that bolts right up and is  lot lighter. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these engines. T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Thunder tiger .15
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
No experience with one, but looks kinda "Enya'ish"!  If so, it should be pretty strong for its age and size.  Maybe not a match for a OS .15FP, but still more than say a Fox .15X.  Seems all the knock offs copied one Japanese engine or another.  Which isn't "bad" as long as decent quality is present.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
I just bought a few series 21 McCoy's nib off the bay that the seller got at an estate sale and he threw this in with the bunch it was castored tight but a little liquid wrench and the heat gun loosened it right up. I am going to dissasemble it as I am sure the rod is stuck on the wrist pin it seems to have good compression though. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these engines. I am thinking about using it in a Perky for the postal contest and if it runs good maybe a Junior Lightning Streak or one of Kieth Sandberg's Challenger .15's. I am going to use an AP Yellow Jacket venturi and needle valve on it, it came with an R/C carb and a muffler but I have a Magnum .15 muffler that bolts right up and is  lot lighter. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these engines. T.J.

That is a very old 15 , about 30 Years old, Thunder Tiger made in Tawain, If it is in good shape it would be good on a Ringmaster jr. or the like

Randy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:43:46 PM by RandySmith »

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »
I haven't looked at the insdes yet but it seems to have good comprression I will know more after Itake it apart and give it a good methanol soak and scrub down. I haven't weighed it but it feels twice as heavy as a 15X. T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here