News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrust races in old timer engines  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Thrust races in old timer engines
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:55:37 AM »
Hello,
         I don't know if I should be posting this here or in the old time stunt section, but here goes. A couple of my old Atwood Champions felt a bit gritty when turned over by hand. Stripped them down to find that the thrust races had oval ball bearings in them and missing the two thrust washers completely!!! Pays to strip down new "old" acquisitions, before you do anything else! I wondered why there was a lot of end float on the crankshaft.
  To cut a long story short, I managed to reface the damaged "grooved" case and even obtained a couple of new crank shafts. New ball bearings and suitably sized thrust washers, completed the restoration. I then got to thinking that the brass cages were original and probably had oversize holes in them where the balls sit. There was no way I could find new cages, so I let the matter lie.
  Sometime ago, I read of a catastrophic failure of the thrust race assembly, on I believe a Super Cyke. This had me wondering what the rest of my antique collection was like! Sure enough there were signs of thrust race wear on several of my prized collection. Mainly grooved thrust washers and slackness in the bearing cages. Now I use my engines, they are not collectors pieces, so what to do? No one seems to make the old fashioned thrust assemblies anymore, so is there a modern substitute that I can buy? I realise that the chances of getting the correct fit may be unlikely, but I can live with that and modify accordingly.
  So far I have found nothing remotely like the type of thing I want. Has anyone else solved this problem? Maybe one could machine up a bushing to replace the thrust race, but it would need some work boring the casing.
  I can't be the only one to have this problem, suggestions?

Regards,

Andrew Tinsley

BMFA Number 64862

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
Re: Thrust races in old timer engines
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »
Hi Andrew; I am one who had a Super Cyke brg. come apart an wipe out the piston cyl. I know of several others that this has happened to also. What happens is the balls in the cage cut a groove in the very thin races, and then they split at that groove and come apart in pieces. Not good. I have replaced all of mine with homemade bushings that I made from manganeze bronze. Bob Zambelli turned me on to valve guides for an Alfa Rameo from International Auto Parts that I used to make them. It machines very well and I think you could do most of the work in a drill press, as most people do not have a lathe. Even if you replace them with bronze or brass washers stacked to remove slack and give you a few thousands clearance, I think you would be better off. I have noticed no reduction in performance by replacing them. I have replaced the ones in my Atwoods, Ohlsson side ports, and Super Cykes, The later Ohlsson's, have caged roller brgs. and these are fine. On removal of some of those pesky thrust brg's, I have had the balls fall out of the brass cages. My feeling is that some engine manufacturer installed these in their engine as a selling point, and others had to follow suit to stay competitive. I think about anything to take up the slack would be better than those thrust brg's.
Jim Kraft

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 05:29:41 AM »
Andrew - I agree with Jim. I see no need for a rolling thrust bearing in our applications. When I machine new bushing for any engine, I always make a flange at the crankshaft face area. There is so much oil swirling around in there that the bearing should never run dry. Were it to be of concern, just make a radial oil groove on the flange. Also, you must insure that there are no burrs or galling on the crankshaft face. That would chew up a thrust bushing in record time.

I have recently heard from other people who have used the ALFA Romeo valve guides, with excellent results.

Bob Z.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 05:41:01 AM »
Hi Jim,
        Thanks for your input. I have also used Bob Zambelli's recommendations to use the International Auto Parts, Alfa, manganese bronze guides. (that was a mouthful)! I have used them to rebush the main bearings in some of my old motors. It was this dodge that made me suggest a solid bushing in my original post. I have the machining facilities to do this job, so lacking any modern equivalents of the pesky thrust bearings, this looks the preferred method!
  I am a little surprised that the thrust washers either side of the caged ball assemblies were brass in your Super Cyke. I am not much of a materials man, but I would have thought that hardened steel washers would be a better bet. That is what I used when I rebuilt the thrust assemblies in the Super Champions.
  Right off to the shop for a bit of measuring up and to figure the best way to do the bushing. Probably best to replace the whole crankshaft bush and machine a thrust area on the back end of the bush.
  I would commend Bob Z's method of rebushing plain bearing motors with this material. It is easy to work and gives a much better bush material than say that used in the bushed engines from the 50s and 60s.

Thanks again,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 05:44:05 AM »
Hi Bob,
          Your reply came in as I was typing my reply to Jim. Hope you don't mind me singing your praise! You have pointed me in the right direction to do the job.

Many Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 06:43:57 AM »
Andrew; It was the cages that the balls are retained in that were brass. The "washers" were hardened steel. I have not replaced the crank bushings on any of mine. The crankshaft side is generally machined very smooth from the factory, and the crankcase is smooth enough also where the thrust washer was before. Some crankshafts have a small radius where the shaft meets the counterbalance, and I radius the bushing also. Like Bob says, there is plenty of oil flowing around in there to take care of the bushing. I have run some of these engines many hours after replacing the thrust brg. with a bushing, and then torn them down to check for wear. I could find virtualy no wear on the bushing or crankcase. Woody Bartelt at AeroElectric makes thrust bushings for the Ohlsson sideports, and that is where I kind of got the idea for making them for my other engines.
Jim Kraft

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »
Hi Jim,
          Think I may have misunderstood what you mean by a thrust bushing. I was thinking that it was simply an extension of the crankshaft main bearing bush, but enlarged in diameter. It has just occurred to me that you mean a thick "washer" machined from the valve guide material. Thickness determined by the correct endfloat required. If that is the case, it is even simpler and I can now understand that this could be made just using a drill press!
  Its amazing just how wrong you can be when you have some preconceived ideas!

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 06:11:08 PM »
Yeh Andrew; I sometimes do not explain things very well. That is what I meant, just make a bushing/washer the same size as the brg. and the steel washers/races. It really is a pretty simple job, or else I could not do it. LL~ LL~
Jim Kraft

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »
I would not recommend this procedure.   n1 n1
If you use a thrust washer, there is nothing to prevent it from rotating relative to the case. Should this happen, it might damage either the thrust washer, the case or both.  ~^ ~^
You want all relative motion between the crankshaft face and the bushing - the bushing must not turn relative to the case.

Make sense??????????????????????

Bob Z.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:17:31 PM »
Bob; I have two Atwood Super Champion's, a Super Cyclone, and an Ohlsson 60 sideport, all set up this way with many hours of running without problems. I have torn them down several times for cleaning, and there was absolutely no wear in the case or on the bushing.
Jim Kraft

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 02:20:15 AM »
No problem - that was just my though on the subject.
Bob Z.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 04:24:31 AM »
Bob and Jim,
                  I think that my misunderstanding was because, I would have thought that a simple washer bushing may turn relative to the crank case and cause problems. If Jim says it works then so be it! Its a much simpler solution than replacing the main crank shaft bushing. Thanks to you both for helping me out.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »
Just another thought,
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 07:59:20 AM »
Whoops, don't know how I managed to post the above! However, it just came to me that I have machined the face of the crank case (where the bush would go). Perhaps one of the Loctite products could be used to fix the bush to the crank case. I don't know how good (or which type!) Loctite is in shear, but from what has been said, the shear force on the bush is not great, otherwise the casing would have shown some wear.
  Just a belt and bracers afterthought?

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 09:40:41 AM »
Now, I'm worried!  I have three O&R 60 sideports, several O&R 23s, a Super Cyke and an Anderson Spitfire.  I think all have ball thrust bearings (but I haven't looked inside the Cyke).
So how much run time does it take to wear out the thrust bearings?  I've never heard of problems in this area.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »
I do not know how long Floyd. I suspect there are some that have run for years without problems. And then there are others like the one I have that ran for quite a while before it disintegrated. I have a friend that had it happen in two Super Cykes before mine went. I should have known better, but I thought it was a fluke. If you do have an engine with the ball thrust brg., make sure it has at least .005 fore and aft shaft clearance. I think some of them were set up to tight, and then they wear a groove in the very thin steel washers, and then the washer breaks and goes through the cyl..

In the instruction manual that comes with Cyclone's they caution you that if your replace the shaft to make sure it has .002 to .004 clearance. Cykes have a shim/washer on the front of the shaft behind the prop drive/cam that sets the clearance.

Woody Bartelt makes bushings to replace the thrust brg. in Ohlsson side port 60s. The 23 sideports I have do not have thrust brgs. in them. The 23 and 60 front valves, have a brass cage with steel roller brgs. that is pretty robust, and they should not give any trouble.

The Anderson Spitfire has a hefty full ball brg. on the shaft like a regular ball brg. engine.

After my Cyke blew up, I decided to replace the brgs. with  bushings. I have a repro Cyke that came with no clearance brand new out of the box. It had already grooved the race/washer. It now has a bushing.

Jim Kraft

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here