News:

• May 15, 2024, 06:09:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thermocouples  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Thermocouples
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »
This is more an idle question than anything else -- does anyone make a bolt-on thermocouple that'll fit a glow engine, the way that spark-plug thermocouples fit aviation engine heads?

I think it'd be cool to be able to monitor head temperature and maybe correlate it with engine performance.

No one will die if they're not available; no fortunes will be made if they are: I'm just curious.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Thermocouples
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 02:21:04 PM »
Tim - I did this a while back.
I drilled a small hole in a fin closest to the plug and as low as possible.
I then secured an iron-constantan junction (J-type) to the fin with thin copper wire and coated it with transistor heat-sink compound.
As I recall (40 years ago) the temperatures were around 250 degrees F.

Bob Z.

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 02:33:04 PM »
I am not going to look for them but Yes they are out there....many of the newer RC TX/RX system provide a lot of telemetry link back to the TX or a laptop/smart phone

Exh gas temp...Cly head temp, are part of several set ups via sensors to the Rx as well as mag pick up for RPM and a host of aircraft attitude sensors

some are as busy as a real cockpit instrument pannel
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 02:44:22 PM »
U.S.Sensors makes temperature sensors up to 450 °C, bolt-on and threaded.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 05:05:40 PM »
I use a laser thermometer when running new engines on my test stand, but it's a bit tricky to aim at the narrow side edge of the head, or the top of the cylinder head. Anywhere on the cylinder won't work well, because it will give you a large range of readings from top to bottom!

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 05:15:11 PM »
I use a laser thermometer when running new engines on my test stand, but it's a bit tricky to aim at the narrow side edge of the head, or the top of the cylinder head. Anywhere on the cylinder won't work well, because it will give you a large range of readings from top to bottom!

Bill

I was thinking of something that I could run in flight, recording with a TUT.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 06:10:26 PM »
Thermistors are cheap, but then you need the rest of the stuff for the a sensing circuit, and a transmitter/receiver of sorts.

Doug may know of a source for Thermal monitoring for model rockets?

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:16:43 PM »
  I just started working for a plastic molding company this past spring, and in working on the MANY different type of molds, there are lots of ways of heating things and this requires small thermocouplers. They are held in place on the various cores with sheet metal clamps and small machine screws. Should be easy to figure a way to secure the end to an engine cylinder. I would put it against the cylinder right above the exhaust, or in the path of the exhaust flow. When I get to work Monday I will get the names of some of the suppliers, but that may be easy enough with a google search of injection molding suppliers.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »
Thermistors are cheap, but then you need the rest of the stuff for the a sensing circuit, and a transmitter/receiver of sorts.

Circuit design is my day job.  If I'm willing to compromise a bit on accuracy I think I can whip up a circuit fairly quickly.
AMA 64232

Offline Fredvon4

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »
Horizon sells temp sensor for their telemetry packages

Helicopter and jet folks use the engine temp sensors quite a bit and from what I see the RC set up through the Rx back to the Tx is using a RS232 data standard

perhaps a el cheapo Hobby King system can be used to backwards engineer it to use with the TUT
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 08:30:55 AM »
Check from Simprop/Multiplex, they have a telemetry system that F3D people use. L

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
Tim,
I would think you need as instantaneous response as possible, not sure where geographically on the engine that would be, but suspect perhaps that two regions would be valuable
something like an exhaust temp would be a valid number, and you would want measure someplace as close to the temp generation as you can. admittedly aluminum transfers heat rapicly,but depending on what you are trying to accomplish would dictate where to place the temp sensor right?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 12:56:40 PM »
Exhaust gas temperature for sure changes quickly but it's not very reliable. I did some measurements and sometimes found that richer needle setting gives higher temperature readings. I guess fuel is still burning on the way out.
I would drill a blind hole somewhere behind the combustion dome, stop drilling 0,5..1mm before it goes through. L

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
Tim,
I would think you need as instantaneous response as possible, not sure where geographically on the engine that would be, but suspect perhaps that two regions would be valuable
something like an exhaust temp would be a valid number, and you would want measure someplace as close to the temp generation as you can. admittedly aluminum transfers heat rapicly,but depending on what you are trying to accomplish would dictate where to place the temp sensor right?

I'm making the (possibly erroneous) assumption that head temperature would be a pretty good reflection of how the temperature of the engine is affecting the run -- i.e., running away, dogging down, etc.

I'm mostly interested in the relationship between engine overheating (or overcooling) and the run, and in how jiggering the cooling ductwork affects engine temperature.
AMA 64232

Online Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 06:08:26 PM »
Using a strip of thin copper I made a plug washer with a short tang on one side bent up to clear the head fins where the thermocouple was attached to. My figuring was that all engines have a virtually identical thickness of metal above the combustion chamber so should give reasonably good comparative readings.

Offline Bill Johnson

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 07:16:51 AM »
Using a strip of thin copper I made a plug washer with a short tang on one side bent up to clear the head fins where the thermocouple was attached to. My figuring was that all engines have a virtually identical thickness of metal above the combustion chamber so should give reasonably good comparative readings.

That's a good idea. After-market CHT gages for full size aircraft are the same: Replace the plug gasket.
Best Regards,
Bill

AMA 350715

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 11:15:32 AM »
Omega sells thermocouples pre-attached to a washer.  Just run the bolt thru it and connect to the thermocouple circuit.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/WT.html

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »
I installed EGTs on an VW aero conversion and found the max heat was not close to the head...but approx 8" toward the exhaust tip (it had open exhaust pipes with a sensor on each pipe). It took a few tries to find the sweet spot but lesson learned was not to place the sensor close to the engine.  EGTs worked fine on the spark plugs. I think it should work the same on glow engines. If I did it again I'd probably try shooting an infrared at it to get the hot spot.
Bill P.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 03:46:24 PM »
Omega sells thermocouples pre-attached to a washer.  Just run the bolt thru it and connect to the thermocouple circuit.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/WT.html

From the picture it wouldn't fit in place of a glow plug gasket on most engines, but you might be able to rework it to do so.
AMA 64232

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 04:54:14 PM »
You can easily make your own from a 1/4" ring terminal.  Solder or crimp the thermocouple to the ring terminal flange.  You might have to bend to fit .....

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
From the picture it wouldn't fit in place of a glow plug gasket on most engines, but you might be able to rework it to do so.

But maybe that could fit under a head bolt instead of under the glow-plug?

Offline Mark Knoepfle

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »
Tim,
you could just bond the TC to the head at whatever spot you want using JB Weld. We use a hysol product at work but it is pretty much the same thing.

What TC amplifier are you planning on using on the TUT? I have had good luck with the MAX6675 for K type TCs.

Not to side track too much but I would be curious to hear your thoughts on using a pitot tube air speed sensor as one of the gain factors.

There are groups out there that are basing autonomous piloting on the use of the new 5 dollar Linux single board computer RasberryPi Zero. One of the parameters they can watch and react to is sir speed.

http://erlerobotics.com/blog/home-creative/

Mark

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 11:19:30 PM »
Tim,
you could just bond the TC to the head at whatever spot you want using JB Weld. We use a hysol product at work but it is pretty much the same thing.

What TC amplifier are you planning on using on the TUT? I have had good luck with the MAX6675 for K type TCs.

I haven't gotten that far.  How's them apples?

Not to side track too much but I would be curious to hear your thoughts on using a pitot tube air speed sensor as one of the gain factors.

There are groups out there that are basing autonomous piloting on the use of the new 5 dollar Linux single board computer RasberryPi Zero. One of the parameters they can watch and react to is sir speed.

http://erlerobotics.com/blog/home-creative/

Mark

If I recall correctly, Igor Burger reported at one point that he tried using a pitot tube, and didn't like the results.  He has very graciously tried a bunch of stuff and shared his failures with us, the better for us to shamelessly copy what works.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Knoepfle

• 2016 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 01:10:34 PM »
Very interesting Tim.

I have a bag of K type thermocouples here from previous projects. I will send you some of them if they look useful. You can pick up a MAX6675 (or the TC amp of your choice) breakout board on ebay, Adafruit, or Sparkfun, for about 10-20 bucks.

The thin ones are welded tips. I think there are three in there. The thick one has a fiberglass braid over the wires. It has not been welded. You can twist the ends together to form the junction though.

Pics attached of TCs

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »
Mark:  I really appreciate that.  At the moment I have my heart set on mounting something in place of the glow plug washer, but if I ever come down from the trees you may get a PM from me.

Because of the way the TUT is designed I'll need to convert from temperature to pulse width, so I'll probably use something like the AD8495 modulating an analog PWM circuit of some sort.  I should be able to fit it all onto a 3/8" x 1" board, which is within the range of acceptable "cable warts" as far as I'm concerned.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here