News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank size for 72 Saito?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tank size for 72 Saito?
« on: December 26, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
How much fuel capacity do I need for a Saito 72 in a Strega(full pattern and Ys 20/20 fuel)?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: Tank size for 72 Saito?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 04:55:02 PM »
I don't use YS 20/20 but I have always used a Sullivan 6oz RST clunk tank with no problems for my 72.  My 72 uses about the same amount of fuel as my Supertigre 51.  4 strokes are economical. 
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 07:17:36 PM »
If not ys 20/20 fuel mix  (from Powermaster brand) then what should I start with? thanks for the reccomendation on tank size. I was under the impression these Saitos like nitro and the load of a big prop. Maybe I am going too extreme here.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline steve dinerman

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:04:45 PM »
DAN BANJOCK USES POWERMASTER 10-22 ON HIS SATO 72 POWERED VISTA.DON'T USE LESS THEN 20 % OIL AS THE ENGINE WILL BEGIN TO DISINTEGRATE.HE BLEW THE GEAR ON HIS CAMSHAFT.HE USED MY SATO THE REST OF THE SEASON.
PUT YOUR ENGINE ON A TEST STAND AND MAKE SHORE OIL IS DRIPPING FROM THE BREATHER NIPPLE.IF IT IS NOT DON'T                                             
 USE THE FUEL.
HE USES A 331 VENTURE WITH A SUPERTIGER NEEDELVALVE ASSEMBLY ON MUFFLER PRESSURE.
HE USES A REV-UP 14-5 AS A BASE PROP.A APC 14-5 WORKS WELL BUT MAKES THE AIRPLANE NOSE HEAVY.
DAN GAVE ME PERMISSION TO GIVE OUT THIS INFORMATION.
STEPHEN DINERMAN

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:14:50 PM »
I have always used home brew in my 4 strokes. But, if I couldn't , I would definitely use something like Powermaster 10/22.  It's not that complicated.  4 strokes are mostly common sense.  They were designed for RC sunday sport flyers not cutting edge competiton pilots, (except for the YS motors).

If you see a guy at the stunt circle with a YS DZ 63 in the nose, look out.  That cat really knows his business!! 
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »
Ok I will use powermaster 10/22 and a 6oz. clunk tank. Pressure or no pressure to the tank?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 11:05:24 AM »
If you see a guy at the stunt circle with a YS DZ 63 in the nose, look out.  That cat really knows his business!! 

If this is true why isn't anyone seriously competing with a 4 stroke using a YS? Every mention of top level competitions including the worlds is all Saito.. Did I miss something?

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 11:47:57 AM »
Forum looks different, I have to get used to it.  I use suction on my 4 strokes and uniflow on my 2 strokes. As to the YS Bob, that was a light hearted joke. The engine is very complex and requires a very high level of expertise in ANY application. 

If you are curious, ask Windy for his video with the YS on it. I have also run them courtesy of the RC boys, ("hey guys look at this, he's going to hand start it") . 

The YS has a stranglehold on the 2 meter F3A scene, the OS Max 91 Surpass has come to dominate the Senior Pattern Association class, (their classic).  Saito dominates everything else.  If I was going to rock and roll in F3A,(hint hint) I would go with the Saito FA-150, (hint hint). I would bank on my not having to dead-stick against his better flying to pull out a win LOL.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 10:03:17 PM »
On My Saito 72 I am using a Roque Venturi which makes the Saito 72 run a "4-2-4".  My Saito 72  has very little run time and it is stock. It burns a little less then 6Oz to do the pattern using 10% Nitro fuel using a 13x6 prop.

Plenty of power for my P-51. I have posted a video on youtube of a flight test we did to show a Saito 72 doing a "4-2-4"

The plane is flying a little too fast on this flight test because we were trying to burn less then 5Oz in 6:40 min. I will post more information about this setup once we have fully test it. Our goal is to have a setup for the Saito 72 that uses 10% Nitro 22% oil, burn less then 5oz of fuel and do a "4-2-4" run to pull planes like the BW P-47 with plenty of authority in windy condition.

Happy New Year to all!!!

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 10:24:35 PM »
What is a roque venturi ? can you post a picture ? is it available in the USA? $?
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 11:42:58 PM »
Very intersting!! What is a "roque" venturi. Sounds sinister to me LOL. If if is making the big block break, then brother, you gots to cough that one up!! #^
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 06:26:25 AM »
Roque is the name of one of the best Brazilian flyer, pronounces HOCKY . He started to fly 4S many many many years ago and after burning a lot of fuel testing different designs he come up with a venturi which do a soft break.

We are fine tuning the dimensions of the unit and soon I will be selling it worldwide.

Martin

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 06:49:32 PM »
Martin, I watched your video of your Roque equipped Saito 72.  As far as I'm concerned, you nailed it.  If you need an engine run better than that, more than likely you just can't fly!!!
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 05:48:22 AM »
Martin, I watched your video of your Roque equipped Saito 72.  As far as I'm concerned, you nailed it.  If you need an engine run better than that, more than likely you just can't fly!!!

Me too... Awesome... Sure don't understand how a venturi can make a 4 stroke do that but it seems to work. Looking forward for more information.

Really starting to appreciate the grunt of 4 strokes now that I have a much better idea of how to make them run.

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 10:45:47 PM »

...I can't fly that is true hehe...I am learning the pattern.

the unit works very well it just needs final refinements for production.   I am on vacation and as soon as I return and have the units ready to ship I will inform.

Martin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here