News:

• May 14, 2024, 08:31:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tank install  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tank install
« on: January 19, 2007, 06:24:01 PM »
I have a built up fuselage Flite Streak.  I got it from someone's stash who was getting out of control line.   The front end is messed up.  I'm getting ready to redo it.  As I looked at the tank, I was wondering if I should change it.   So I cut it out.  It's a Perfect standard wedge tank.  It appears to have been soldered on the overflow.  My brother saw the plane  fly with a McCoy 35 and said it stunted well.   I have a Brodak 4 oz deep wedge tank.  It appears to me that I would have to mount it with the fuel feed line coming out of the side but more or less on the under side of the tank.  The other one which was not a deep wedge had the fuel feed coming out of the top.  Now I have several questions.

1.     Could I use the Brodak tank?
2.     Would it affect engine performance with the fuel line coming out lower?
3.     It appeared the old one was glued in with epoxy and it had some black cloth like stuff                                                                                      glued to it.   Does anyone know what the black stuff might be. 
4.      When I put a tank back into it,  how should I fasten it.  Should I glue it with epoxy?
5.      How do I get it right as far as the relation of the flow of fuel to the spray bar?
6.      I will probably use a McCoy 35 or a Fox 35.

I have never mounted a tank in a built up fuselage.   

Is there a way to make an in fuselage tank adjustable up and down?

I have a green box Nobler that I think could benefit from a new tank.  How does one cut
and where to get it out.  If it's oily in there what do I do?

Well that's a lot of questions.

Thanks for your kind replies.

Allen Eshleman

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Tank install
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 02:18:05 PM »
I agree with Ty.  Do make it removable and adjustable.  It has been about 35 years since I had the Super Combat Streak, but I just ordered plans from Barry Baxter to build another one.  I liked it much better than the Flite Streak for the above mentioned reasons.  A full body just cuts out a lot of inherent problems a Profile can have.

I don't remember exactly what the front end is like, but I will make a hatch for mine so that the tank can come out if needed.  I never glue a tank in anymore. :D

As to the Nobler, I would make the cuts from the bottom of the fuselage, but you will probably have to end up cutting the top, too.  When I make them "adjustable" when they were not originally done that way, I make a tank floor and slide the tank in.  Then it can be held in place with "dense" foam rubber packed around it.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 02:13:08 AM »
  Ty,
 Hope you recover soon, the "horizontal aerobics" can be deadly you know! **)
 Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »
Thanks so much.  This is great advice.  Now I just need to find the time to put it to work.  I really appreciate this.  It will be awhile until I can do these projects.  Again Thanks!

Allen Eshleman

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:03:12 PM »
Well,  I was able to visit the people at Virginia HobbySport in Washington, D.C.  They have many of the available control line kits from various suppliers.   It was a nice dream time.  I found a Brodak tank just like the Perfect that I removed.   

I am not putting it in until I do some other work on the plane.  I am planning to remove the old dope and paper and cover (at least the wing) with film. 

At the hobby store I was shone a plane under reconstruction in which all the covering was removed with paint remover.   Is that a good choice?  It would make the job a lot easier than just using sand paper and elbow grease.    Thanks again all.

I have found out that a flyer by the name of Ken Reber used this plane for pattern practice and it stunted very well.  He used some other plane for competition.   He moved away from here and dispensed with his control line stuff to my brother.   Does anyone know him and where he is?

Allen Eshleman

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here