News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:05:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tale of Two ST .56 dngines.  (Read 775 times)

Offline frank mccune

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Tale of Two ST .56 dngines.
« on: October 04, 2018, 03:02:31 PM »
        Hello All:

One of my flying mates could not get a decent engine with his "old" ST .56 engine.  No matter what he did, it would lean out and die very lean.  He changed everything, tank, compression props etc. but nothing would provide a steady run. The engine started first flip and had one ring on the piston. This engine would run a very nice 4 cycle for the first half of the tank but then would go screaming lean, overheat and seize up.  I suggested that it was not "broken in" but what do I know

Today he showed up with the same set up but with another "new" ST .56 that had two rings and ran like a fine Swiss watch. No problems!!!!! He used the same tank set up, fuel and prop on both engines. A great 4 cycle run the entire flight!

Why would the first engine perform so badly.  Both are "new." I still think that the ring may be too tight or just needs to be run more.

Suggestions and/or comments?

Frank McCune

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: Tale of Two ST .56 dngines.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 03:24:15 PM »
Some on would have to  LOOK at the  engine, in person ... You cannot  diagnose  that  over the  text box,  All you can do is  speculate  the many things that could cause it, and  yes  a  ring too tight  can make for  overheat and runaway
So can a muffler, also so can a crank spinning in a  bearing race  without the bearing moving, this is common on ST engines
Air leaks can cause this, and a  40 plus year old   NEW  engine can have  locked pins, locked bearings, dried leaking gaskets  etc...

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 09:26:39 PM »
Earlyer Super Tigres , around 65 & earlier , were alledgedly built with harder liners & set up closer .
Then the imprter whined about them takeing forever to run in . Took forever to run out too . ;D

Wondering if those 56s have the same head bolt pattern P.C.D. as the 60 Lite ??

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 01:00:31 AM »
Earlyer Super Tigres , around 65 & earlier , were alledgedly built with harder liners & set up closer .
Then the imprter whined about them takeing forever to run in . Took forever to run out too . ;D

Wondering if those 56s have the same head bolt pattern P.C.D. as the 60 Lite ??

All of the  early  ST 56  I have seen had  a  chromed steel liner

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:22:57 PM »
O.K. , to get to the thin end of the wedge ,

The PLAIN BEARING 56 , much like a Double Star Light ( 60 ) ,

If the HEAD BOLT PATTERN matches the 60 , the next step might be trying to sort a 60 liner - The early thin ones still do big a diameter ?
& would it fall in half , overboring the case for the standard ST 60 Liner . ( Noteing on the 51s the B B & plain bearing part numbers match for liner ) .

Just a thought .  :-\

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here