News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Synthetic Oil Choices  (Read 1039 times)

Offline John Leidle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Synthetic Oil Choices
« on: April 02, 2020, 04:23:04 PM »
   I looked at Klotz 2 stroke oils. I'm a bit in question as to which might work best for out needs I run newer ABC , AAC piston liners.  Klotz , KL-198 , KL-189  R50 , etc... a bit confused.
  Thank you , John L.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Synthetic Oil Choices
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 04:36:45 PM »
I use Ucon LB-625.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
The oil that I used was KL100  Klotz.  It is 80% synthetic and 20% castor. Great stuff and never had any problems with lubrication and of course the engines remained clean.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:10:28 PM »
   I looked at Klotz 2 stroke oils. I'm a bit in question as to which might work best for out needs I run newer ABC , AAC piston liners.  Klotz , KL-198 , KL-189  R50 , etc... a bit confused.
  Thank you , John L.

John it is very easy for you to get Klotz Techniplate, That is a great oil for you to use for most any engine, and you can add more  castor if needed

Randy

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »
   Thanks Guys,,,,,  Randy ,I'll follow your lead.
        John

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 12:15:26 AM »
KL-189’is a lower viscosity oil for helicopters.
It gives improved running symmetry compared to thicker oils, but can cause premature wear. L

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 09:48:31 AM »
 Maybe I'll pick up a KL - 189 too.
   Thanks again , John L.
  PS  I'd try the Ucon but it's a bit hard to find,  John

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 09:55:25 AM »
In what engine are you planning to use it? I've flown quite a lot with 189 without catastrophic wear, but I'd guess my stuff is better quality & tribology than average. You have been warned. L

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 12:13:20 PM »
   Lauri,
   I'm doing tests in my Stalker .81 .... so for now  that is the only place I will use it.
  John L.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 12:47:18 PM »
I know the Stalker guys recommended the Fuchs (Graupner?) Arosynth 3 which is now unobtainium That was also a low viscosity oil. Maybe you should compare the technical specs of them two oils to get an idea. And stick with lightweight woid props.
Maybe Ruslan could recommend something else?

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 01:30:04 PM »
I got some Powermaster fuel with low viscosity oil awhile back.  It sooted up the engine and dissolved the acrylic lacquer on my airplane.  This wasn’t because of viscosity, of course, but one might avoid that particular stuff.

I bought some LB-625 from Randy Ritch.  Shipping cost more than the oil.  He may have found a better way to ship it since then.

The US Ucon distributor is in Bellevue.  He didn’t want to mess with less than 55 gallons when I talked to him a few years ago, but you might try again.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Klotz KL-205 Original Techniplate is the pure synthetic

Klotz KL-100 Super Techniplate is the same stuff but with 20% castor added.

Motorman 8)

And you can buy these  from many sources  including  SIG   or  Amazon  will send it straight  to you

Randy

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »
Going by the Stalker instructions (never use castor) I bit the bullet and mixed up 5 litres using Mobil Jet Oil II which worked perfectly for both the running in and then flying. However after it was all used up I switched back to all castor because the jet oil is a bit hard to find and castor was much cheaper. Bad move in retrospect because that gave a lot of carbon build up over time.

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 12:52:55 AM »
    I ordered the KL-100 also I believe in the low viscosity fuel been running it exclusivly for near 20 years   Heli fuels. The reason I am doing this is to mix straight alcohal with my high nitro heli fuel to lower the nitro content. Fuel is no avalible in within 100 miles of Seattle .
           John L.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 07:49:01 AM »
John,
Are you going to test the 0% nitro in the Stalker? Read up in the 0% Nitro thread one guy ran denatured alcohol from hardware store and oil  in TD 049 with no problem.

Best,    DennisT

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 08:56:12 AM »
  Hi Dennis,
  Yes , I've been reading , reading & reading. The high nitro Heli fuel is fine but my trouble is starting the dam thing , had trouble getting it to fire consistently  & has a  60% history of starting & running backwards. Back bounce or pull it through it starts in reverse. So since it's highly recommended by people  to use FAI fuel I need to try it. Some of the more experienced guys have used high nitro also ,,,,,,,,, so what's my answer ? I don't know. When new I used an electric starter & snapped the crankshaft , Stalker fixed it free.
  About the only thing for sure is that if it doesn't behave by the time the current lock dock is lifted I'll replace it with something that I know how to operate,,, like a ROJETT .76 or Tiger .60

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2020, 09:06:08 AM »
John,
Are you going to test the 0% nitro in the Stalker? Read up in the 0% Nitro thread one guy ran denatured alcohol from hardware store and oil  in TD 049 with no problem.

Best,    DennisT

I think you should not believe everything in the internet 🤔.
If it really was ”with no problem”, we would all be using denaturated alcohol and hardware store oil.
The best solution for Dennis would be to not buy the heli fuel and start using the fuel that Stalker recommends. They have a long track record, why to change?
Somebody will propably get pissed from my comment, so sorry in advance. L

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2020, 09:26:14 AM »
Lauri,
I have to disagree a bit. The reason we don't use ethanol is that in the 50's methanol was what was available cheap and legal. The Top guys used nitro fuels, it was new and worked. If the Top guys start using 0% nitro fuels things will change. A few top guys are using Stalker and Discovery engines, some put 2% nitro and it seems to work. That is still better than 20%, progress takes time in Stunt.

I don't think test some new fuels hurts anything. To get things like denatured alcohol might take some adjustments to compression ration or head design.  Most of us don't have time to do the testing so we stick with the norm. If John can test some new fuels and attest to its performance compared to straight FAI that would help be good information.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Massimo Rimoldi

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
  Hi Dennis,
  Yes , I've been reading , reading & reading. The high nitro Heli fuel is fine but my trouble is starting the dam thing , had trouble getting it to fire consistently  & has a  60% history of starting & running backwards. Back bounce or pull it through it starts in reverse. So since it's highly recommended by people  to use FAI fuel I need to try it. Some of the more experienced guys have used high nitro also ,,,,,,,,, so what's my answer ? I don't know. When new I used an electric starter & snapped the crankshaft , Stalker fixed it free.
  About the only thing for sure is that if it doesn't behave by the time the current lock dock is lifted I'll replace it with something that I know how to operate,,, like a ROJETT .76 or Tiger .60

Hello John.  A few years ago a friend of mine received an ST.81 from Kaz Minato.  At the time Kaz said he prepared the engine exactly like his.  My friend started using it with 0 nitro fuel and complained about the low power and inconsistency of the engine which, upon careful examination, had a good number of seals added under the head.  This probably served to Kaz to use a fuel containing nitro.

Massimo

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »
   Hi Massimo ,
  Thanks for the info,    Dennis I'd be happy to print what I find ... however we are in LockUp  untill May 4th & I really doubt they will open things up here in order to go fly.
  John L.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here