« on: July 31, 2018, 10:17:59 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:47:55 AM by Motorman »

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: SuperTiger 46 Ring
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:39:28 PM »
I bought an OEM piston and ring for my ST46 for when it eventually wears out. I noticed the ring does not fit in the groove of the piston. Did SuperTiger leave the ring a little thick so you could fit them yourself because, I think that's awesome that back in the day they thought the average modeler had the skill to lap a ring.

No they didn't, at least not intentionally. Also, I rarely saw to individual engines that were exactly the same.

The original version of the engine had a different liner (thicker, as I recall, but I could be wrong). I am definitely not sure that there weren't some other differences, like the ring thickness. Randy probably knows.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 10:44:22 PM »
Id get the michealometer out .

The Irvine 40 ring in the K&B , you have to hold your mouth right ; Dosnt seem to fit , but it does . Revolves Free once fitted .

Im Figureing the TWO S T Part Numbers are for TWO Ring Specs .Earlyer for Chome Bore ( maybe harder ? )

LATER for the softer Un Chromed Bore  . ! ??

Actually Chromed Rings ( or is it chrome molly rings ) in old iron Norton Bores , are a relevent  concept , perhaps .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DEBURRING Trip , removing all sharp edges - cept maybe the top outer on ring - would ease the fitting .

DOES IT ENTER EDGEWAYS FROM ADJACENT , I.E. will the outer edge locate in the outer edge of the land . Sorta figure * like . ! ? ?

Fit in a used pistons likely superior . Take up the slack .  ;D

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 10:46:44 PM »
I bought an OEM piston and ring for my ST46 for when it eventually wears out. I noticed the ring does not fit in the groove of the piston. Did SuperTiger leave the ring a little thick so you could fit them yourself because, I think that's awesome that back in the day they thought the average modeler had the skill to lap a ring.

NO  all the  ST  rings  are fit and go into the piston groove, that said  there are  2  different thickness  rings  for the  46, and  the  60 for that matter
I think the  2 sizes are  40 thou and  thinner one for double ring,  The  single ring  is  thicker than the  double ring piston, I have also seen damaged pistons that the  ring will not fit in
I have  done  many hundreds  of  ST 46s, the ring should fit, but not be  tight, and should spin easy.  IT also should  not be loose where it moves up or down in the  groove

By the  way ,The  ST 60 ring is 48 thou  thick for single  and  39 for  double

Randy
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 02:58:26 PM by RandySmith »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 10:48:56 PM »
is yours  a  single  ring piston ?

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »
try to put the ring in backwards, just the outer edge, then go around the ring groove in the  piston to see  if the groove is  the same  all the  way around, I have found  many are not, and  will either stick, or  not  seat properly

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »

I just opened  several packs, and the  G21 46 ring  is  just a tad over .040 thou  thick, for the  single ring piston

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here