News:

• May 02, 2024, 09:11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre NVA  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super Tigre NVA
« on: July 23, 2006, 09:53:22 PM »
I've been back at c/l flying from the 60"s for only a short time (about two years) and am trying to catch up on what's what.

It seems that ST nva's are favored by many.  My question is: "What is the reason for this preference?"  I'm not "doubting" anything.  Just would like to know the particulars.

As a casual observation, it seems that the 90* bend on the end of the ST needle is more likely to cause someone to turn their knuckle(s) into the backside of a spinning prop.  Seems safer to "twist"  a knurled cap than to "turn" the "L" bend on the needle.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Super Tigre NVA
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 10:00:12 PM »
It doesn't matter which type of needle I use.  Somehow I usually get the back side of the spinning prop.  Remember to be behind the engine when adjusting it.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 10:11:32 PM »
I kinda like the K&B Universal NV assembly for sport models, tho when I crash, the needle survives, but the spraybar breaks. To get sorta serious, I much prefer the PA (aka Randy Aero) Needle Valve Assembly. It's like the ST, but has a plastic cone instead of a split collet design. The difference is very apparent when using it. The nut can be very tight, but the needle can still be turned, a good thing. You can get them from Randy or Leonard.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 10:13:41 PM »
I am guessing it is because a lot of the engines are RC conversions, so one looked for a NVA to use. OS is somewhat expensive--at least compared to the cost ($9)  I paid for ST assemblies from Tower. I think the OS's go for ~$15.

When you are learning, and flying profiles where the needle is pointing straight up, it is amazing how many $9  ::) inverted landings you make!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:15:29 AM »
I only get PA needle valve assemblies from Randy at Aero Products now.  He has them made for all size engines.

They have all the features of the ST, but like Steve pointed out, they have a nylon cone in the needle locking nut.  That allows the nut to only be finger tight (my fingers) and the needle will not turn unless you turn it.  The nylon cone also insures there are no air leaks there.

The needle locking nut on the ST NVA can get loose after a while and tightening it enough to keep the needle from turning while the engine is running gets to be a pain.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 11:54:48 AM »
What is the spraybar O.D. of the PA needle valve assy.?

Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 12:50:47 PM »
What is the spraybar O.D. of the PA needle valve assy.?

.157  same  as  a  ST   or  the   OS  FSR  NVA , the only  exception is  the   SS  FOX  PA  style  it  tapers  down to  127   same  as  a  FOX

Regards
Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here