News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre GS .40  (Read 764 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Super Tigre GS .40
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »
Hello,

Two years ago, I bought a new Super Tigre GS.40 from Tower ($49.99).  I ran it briefly on my test stand and that was it.  I put it back in the box and on the shelf.   At 13.05 oz. without a muffler, I figured it was way too heavy for a stunt plane.

I have more planes than engines. One of those planes without an engine is a Brodak P-40. Recently, I decided to try out the St.40 on that plane.  I borrowed the venturi, NVA and Adamisin muffler from my ST control line .51 and installed them on the ST.40.  Went to the field this past Saturday and gave it a try.  What a powerful engine!  4.2 second laps with an APC 10.5X4.5 prop. on 60' lines.  Ended up with an APC 12X4 and, after several needle adjustment flights, I got it slowed to 5.3 second laps.  Not a dramatic 4 to 2 cycle break but it's there.  Pulls the plane effortlessly  straight up and through tight turns. The fuel I'm using is 10% nitro with 22% oil. (11 castor/11% syn.).

With this engine the P-40 is nose heavy but, at least for me, the plane handles very well.

I didn't expect much out of the ST.40 but now I'm quite happy with it.

I'm not saying that a GS.40 will make a great competition engine for everyone.  It is heavy but if you are looking for an inexpensive engine that performs really well, you might want to give this thing a try.

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
Re: Super Tigre GS .40
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 01:07:18 PM »
The GS40 is a great buy for under $50.  I converted one to CL, and it is really a powerhouse.  It is a little heavy, but with a tongue muffler, it's not too bad.  I just got another one that I'm going to use for RC.  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »
Forgot to add that, if you want to use a tube type muffler, the muffler for the Tower 46  bolts right on and eliminates that silly stack deal.  The muffler is long, but fairly light, and quietens the engine better than the ST "Silent muffler".  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Joe Messinger

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:16:27 PM »
Glen,

Thanks for the tip on the Tower .46 muffler.  I do need a muffler for my S.T. .40.  Right now I have the Adamisin muffler from my S.T. .51 on the .40.  I need to get that muffler back on the .51 so I'll give the Tower a try.

Best regards,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here