News:

• May 07, 2024, 08:50:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre G51? Is this the one for stunt?  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Super Tigre G51? Is this the one for stunt?
« on: January 01, 2010, 02:50:46 PM »
Is the particular Supertigre G51 the engine currently being recommended as a stunt engine?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV72&P=ML

I'm trolling for something to put in a Shark 45, Magnum, or Stiletto.
Paul Smith

Alan Hahn

Re: Super Tigre G51? Is this the one for stunt?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:32:21 PM »
I don't think so (that is the RC version).
The RC version has a different cylinder liner part number (or at least it use to) than the CL version. I don't have an RC version to make a real comparison of liners (timing for example).

Here is the link to the CL version.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV87&P=0

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
  LXFV87   SuperTigre G-51 Dual BB Ringed Control Line w/Muffler
  89.99   In Stock........TOWER HOBBIES
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV87&P=0

OK, that's more like it. $10 less expensive and I don't need to make a venturi & NVA.

Amusing, Tower didn't bother to change the "tech notes" from the RC version.  I'm not sure ST would bother to redo the timing for stunt.  We're lucky to get a venturi.  If they actually retimed it for stunt, they're one miracle shy of sainthood.
Paul Smith

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:59:21 PM »
Hi Paul,
It's my understanding that the sleeve for the U-control is different than the RC sleeve (timing).
  LXFX44   SuperTigre Cylinder Sleeve G-51 Control Line
  LXFX43   SuperTigre Cylinder Liner G-51 RC
  Both sleeves are $20.99 from TOWER plus shipping etc.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:47:21 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »
I really recommend getting a ST 51 C/L from Tom Lay.  His rework is magic!  Turns the ST 51 into possibly the best stunt engine you could have.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 06:46:59 PM »
Yes, I have heard good things about Tom's engine rework. I actually had my ST51 done by Byron Barker of C.F. Slattery Co. (812)948dash9167 and it is a sweetheart. I have it in a 64 oz. plane and it is impressive. Nice 2-4 break with plenty of power. There are probably others, and don't forget Randy Smith of Aero Products.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 11:44:54 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Robin_Holden

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »
Greetings and a Happy New Year folks from S.W.France.

Just to add my two cents worth....... Don't expect the C/L version of the ST51 to behave as a true stunt engine.

I bought a C/L version , it just wouldn't give up on the dreaded 'run away' no matter what I tried.

I sent it to Tom Dixon and it came back transformed !! It's brilliant now.

Maybe some chaps will have success with the stock C/L engine , I didn't.

Byron [ Barker ] is a real 'gent' and a great engineer. He'll fix any engine and make it run just fine.

Robin [ ex-pat Brit in the Charente full of ex-pat Brits ]

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »
What's wrong with it that needs to be fixed?
Paul Smith

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 10:18:12 AM »
I think like a lot of engines, it just depends!

On things like tolerances --some guys get them ready to go right out of the box, others have runaways. In the past (maybe even now), the ring gap was insufficient. George Aldrich even claimed that a lot of them had "negative" gaps. Here is a copy of his reply to a post of mine in some long lost forum about a problem a buddy of mine was having with his Tigre 51 (Italian version):

"Everyone of the current ST's I've seen, clear up to the .91, have come with NEGATIVE ring end gap ! The
piston rises to the very top of the cyl. on all of these designs, and if you remove the ring from a new
engine, it will not fit in the cyl. at the top where it get hottest ! The ring ends will actually over-lap !
The end gap should be increased to about .003", and then a more normal run-in will have the engine
purring in about 30 min's. to an hour of slightly rich flying runs.
 Above all, at least 20% lube, with 5% min. of castor for fuel."

By the way, I did check mine at the time and the gap was ok.

Also it may be the prop you use, or the fuel, or the ......

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:21:51 PM »
My TWO CENTS.

The R/C 51 works very well. IF fact here in the NW most of the Tom Lay 51's that are being used...ARE the R/C Cylinder and piston. There called "Sweet Alice 51's". Tom can chime in with the details. I have TWO of them and Two T&L C/L 51 all work about the same. BUT it's the R/C ones that I like.
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
Scott,
And why is that and what is the performance difference?.......TIA
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

So the ring gap needs to be "up to .003" at the top of the stroke.  I'll look for that if I get a hold of one.

If it's tight, what's the best practice for opening it up.  Other than outsourcing, that is.
Paul Smith

Alan Hahn

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 02:59:04 PM »
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

So the ring gap needs to be "up to .003" at the top of the stroke.  I'll look for that if I get a hold of one.

If it's tight, what's the best practice for opening it up.  Other than outsourcing, that is.

Like I said, my ring turned out to be okay (this was back ~10 yrs or more). This might have been an old problem which doesn't exist today. So keep that in mind!

To really check, you need to take the ring off, and push it up the cylinder (use the piston as a pusher), to roughly where it would be at the top of the stroke. Then you try to measure the gap with a feeler gauge.

The downside is that you might distort the ring taking it off, or putting it back on.  Simply buying a new one (I don't recall the name of the guy who is THE source for rings) might be the best idea.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »
"The downside is that you might distort the ring taking it off, or putting it back on.  Simply buying a new one (I don't recall the name of the guy who is THE source for rings) might be the best idea."

Absolutely a fine idea. Frank Bowman is the Ring Man...and he has a "forum" down in the Vendors section. You can contact him easily...but I would go for email, not a post or a PM.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »
Maybe it would suffice to just take the head off and see if there is any gap at all. 
Maybe you could carefully probe the "gap" with a sharp #11 blade to see if a gap exists. 
This might determine whether further disassembly is warrented.
Paul Smith

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
Maybe it would suffice to just take the head off and see if there is any gap at all.  
Maybe you could carefully probe the "gap" with a sharp #11 blade to see if a gap exists.  
This might determine whether further disassembly is warrented.

No  you can't do that, please do not even try, you will not get the results you seek
If you want to check the gap you will need to remove the piston sleeve

Regards
Randy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:33:28 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 05:34:04 AM »
Right, I realized that idea would only work if the ring is at the top of the piston.
Paul Smith

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:57 AM »
Paul, if you can let Randy,Tom Lay or someone equally good go through your engine before you run it. You won't be sorry. I sent a N.I.B. ST.51 to Tom and he found a broken ring!!!!!!!  n1 The engine has run great since i got it back. Never been sorry i sent it to him. Love the Shark and your sharing the build with us. Ron.  y1

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 12:50:40 PM »
We use a local chop with a good record in blessing SuperTigres.   
They have granted my future engine an audience.
Paul Smith

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »
Paul, I have a current ST51 slightly modified by one of the better ST rework guys and it pulled a 67 oz Score very well. Several ST51s are in Sharks that have flown recently at VHS. You would have about $185 in a ST51 modified by Tom Lay, regarded by many as the best ST person. That would be a fine engine. However, since you apparently don't already HAVE an engine for your largish model, consider the new Enya 61CXS Pro, a modern stunt-specific engine with traditional side exhaust and ported for lower RPMs. The price is very close to what you would have in the ST51. (This is NOT the Enya clone of the old ST60. It is a new engine.) I replaced the ST51 with the 61CXS in the Score, and Wow! Randy Smith now sells the Enyas, as well as the light tube muffler for it. The Mejzlik carbon 12.5-5.2 3-blade works well. Randy sells those too. The Enya is going into the Shark 45 I am building now. (Eric Rule's kit)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
I looked at the Aero Products price list  here on Stunt Hanger and found the prices for similarly set up ST 51 and Enya 61.

ST 51:  $159.95
Enya 61: $199.95

40 bucks wouldn't be a deal-breaker if I needed/wanted at 61.  But the plane was designed for a K&B 45 and it won Lew MacFarland a lot of championships with one.  Granted, that was in the pre-muffler days, so there needs to be some compensation for the weight, power loss and extra fuel load imposed by the muffler.  I'm betting that stepping up to a ball bearing 51 will be enough. 

Tower's price on the 51 is $89.95, so I have $110 left to get it blessed a witch doctor with some strong mojo before exceed the price of a RTF Enya 61.

Question?  Is the Enya and/or it's parts available from any regular shops or distributors?
Paul Smith

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »
Hi Paul,

You can sure fly a Shark 45 with an ST G51 or even a modern .40. What people are trying to tell you is that the ST G51 sucks out of the box, it needs to be reworked and there are some better options for you to consider.

If you talk to any expert he will tell you that an Enya 61CX, Saito 72, PA-75 or a Stalker 80 would not be too much power for your Shark 45.

Today we have learn how to use the power of an engine and the limit is weight and money, never power.

Martin
Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »
I received my new SuperTigre G51 last week. I've already started fitting it into the Shark 45. Thanks for all the suggestions.  I considered 'em all, but couldn't comply with all on the same project.

Here are some of my unsuccessful candidates:

K&B 40 R/C and Merco 49 R/C. Weights (less muffler in all cases) 11.4 ounces and 12.9. Both engines are healthy on the test stand, but would need CL modification and are heavy and without parts backing. Back into the engine drawer for maybe a Nostalgia Carrier job in the future.

ST V51, rehabbed by Frank Bowman and CLized by Big Art.  12.7 ounces. Healthy on the test stand, but ear marked for a long term Magmum knockoff project.

ST G21/46.  A strong contender.   8.7 ounces and can be maintained with rings and bearings. Not accepted because the plane seems to be at the limit of bigness for this size engine.

K&B 45 CL.  8.6 ounces. This was Lew McFarland's engine, but I only have one and there are no parts. IT worked for Lew in the pre-muffler days when you could run nitro and swap out an engine for $16.95.

The winner - ST G51, 10.6 ounces.  A modern engine with spare parts and whole spare engines for $89.95.  A 2-ounce hit vs the original, but only 0.03" wider.

The factory muffler is a real high water mark in aircraft mufflers.  5.6 ounces.   If I as into firearms, it would make a good silencer for an M16 or a 45 automatic.  My 1975 5 HP Sears Eager One is almost due for a new muffler.  This one is only a little over size. 

The round muffler adapter might make tongue-style muffler if plugged with a perforated stopper.  Not a joke. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:39:30 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
Hey Paul:

I am sure you will be happy with the ST51. Do yourself a favor and throw the ridiculous stock muffler in the recycle bin and get the excellent tube muffler from Randy Smith, about $35 and worth it. I did. Then, send the motor to Tom Lay with $85 for him to work his magic. I think he did all the ST51's seen at VSC. He replaces the bearings, ring, NVA and venturi plus does some internal work. Don't know how these rework guys do this so cheap. I would have gone for the Enya (actually I did) but this one will make you smile too. Tom's replacement NVA is at a more "conventional" height and makes tank placement easier.

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 09:00:05 AM »
Paul, Scott Dinger makes a tube muffler designed by Tom Lay for the ST.51. Tom once told me not to use a tongue muffler, doesn't remove enough heat from the exhaust. Ron.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »
How does one reach Tom Lay?
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
Here you go Dick, thelayster@aol.com  y1 Ron.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 10:20:09 AM »
Paul, Scott Dinger makes a tube muffler designed by Tom Lay for the ST.51. Tom once told me not to use a tongue muffler, doesn't remove enough heat from the exhaust. Ron.

I would never doubt Tom Lay, but he might have been talking about his engines. My stock ST 51 (except for Bowman ring) won't run with a tube muffler hardly at all, it will flame out most of the time on launch. A tongue muffler and all synthetic 10% fixed it.

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
Bob, i think you are right. I should have been more specific.  '' Ron.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
Bob, i think you are right. I should have been more specific.  '' Ron.

No No, if anything I've got a weird engine.. Many have told me they have ST 51's that ran great right out of the box.. This engine is partially responsible for me having thin hair and moving to 4 strokes.. If I could afford it I would send it to Tom...

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »
$85.00 for reworking that 51 by Masta' Tom sounds interesting however...My jury is still out if he couldn't HOG some of that ALMOST 11.0Z...while my old Bob Wilder ST-46 weighs in a teenzee' tad over 8 ounces?
Would this 51 at a whopping 11 ounces be much better than a teenieweenie ST-46 in the power to weight dept.
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »
Shultzie,

You definitely need the 11 ounce engine in the nose of a shark to balance it.  I don't think an 8 ounce engine could come close to balancing it.  My shark has a G21 .51 in it and it only weighs 61 ounces and needs every bit of that engine and the weight of a 6 ounce tank to get it balanced.  Also, I think the shark would be the easiest classic plane to update for modern performance.  Put a PA .61 in it, extend the stab/elevator to 26" stick on a pipe tunnel and wa-la, an updated shark.  I would call it the Great White Shark, and yes I would paint it gray on top and white on the bottom.

Jim Pollock, flying a shark since 2002.   H^^

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 02:59:32 AM »
G21/51?

Is that a one of a kind custom job?
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »
Who is that handsome dude holding the trophy and plane? LL~ LL~ LL~As you can see I am kidding as you haven't changed that  much.  Always scares me when I see someone on 70 foot lines on our old circle in Topeka KS.  Mine were 65 foot eyelet to eyelet.  People were still backing up from the edge of the circle.  Hate to see pretty planes busted up because some one doesn't know how to measure a circle.  By the way I guess we do not have a circle in Topeka anymore as the construction shack is in the middle of it.  They are building a childrens museum there.  Have not seen the new site yet.  Off topic I guess, so forgive me.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
Who is that handsome dude holding the trophy and plane? LL~ LL~ LL~As you can see I am kidding as you haven't changed that  much.  Always scares me when I see someone on 70 foot lines on our old circle in Topeka KS.  Mine were 65 foot eyelet to eyelet.  People were still backing up from the edge of the circle.  Hate to see pretty planes busted up because some one doesn't know how to measure a circle.  By the way I guess we do not have a circle in Topeka anymore as the construction shack is in the middle of it.  They are building a childrens museum there.  Have not seen the new site yet.  Off topic I guess, so forgive me.

LL~ LL~
Yes..
I guess we both spin-driffed off the topic...and yes, that was me, as a nieve child with my love for Sharks. I  Hopefully I can delete that bunch of drivel.  You know how impossible it is to try and convince every newbee Shark builder alive that every Shark has to weigh over 60 ounces and contain at least a 60 size engine or more up front in order to fly a decent pattern.
Don Shultz

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »
I'm certainly going to test that theory.  The builder in the picture above has already employed one of my lightening-up plans.  The canopy and dorsal fin are skinnied down quite a bit verses the kit.
Paul Smith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
"Not only was the fuselage of that old Shark a tad "skinnier  (thanks to the K&B narrower crankcase) than  Lew's but also check out the extra added length that I added to the nose.
Plus that model was made from select contest wood...and NO PRIMER just a tad of primer on the balsa surfaces.
 (Remember that WHITE in bright sun light hides a ton of flaws...except that model looked so shabby when you held it up to the sunlight where you could see the blotchy ness of my thinned Aerogloss finish. (Never received many appearance point as I can clearly remember.

Another PLUS in a way but also a huge MINUS...was that tweaked K&B 45 was not a heavy fuel guzzler and because of that I was always BEGGIN for power to pull that Skinny old Shark that ended its life when I flew  it into a crowd control barrier at a contest at Boeing Field the next week end after this photo was taken.
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here