News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre G 34  (Read 834 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Super Tigre G 34
« on: June 15, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »
I am building a Green Box Nobler and decided I wanted an engine that would work well in it. I wanted a little more nose weight and concidering that most modern designs have longer tail mements I wanted a reliable engine with good fuel consumption and reliability. I do have an enya 35 that is great bud was in the hobby shop the other day and saw the ST34 so I bought it. I have just finished breaking it in and was really impressed with it. I think for the price and the fact it is set up for controline I was really impressed with it's performance on the bench. Anyone else have anything to add to this. Randy sells these and he sells them stock or Balanced and blueprinted. I am going to give it my best shot. :! :! :! HB~>

Offline fred krueger

• Commander
Re: Super Tigre G 34
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 12:33:01 PM »
I bought a ST34 last year.  I think the basic design is a rather high timed heli-engine, so I ended up blocking the boost bypass with JB Weld to help cure some of it's love of high rpm.  After some break-in runs, the engine ran very well in a P-Force (profile), however it was thirsty (more  later). 

Then I mounted it in an ARF Nobler.  The running characteristics were not acceptable (Extreme difference in upright/inverted runs), plus it consumed a lot of fuel.  The tank height was perfect for my Magnum .36 so I thought maybe it had something to do with the NVA position, then I remembered an Australian newsletter discussion on this very problem.  The author checked recommended venturi sizes from a chart supplied by Claus Maikis.  I checked the venturi diameter and it is well outside the range recommended by Claus for this size engine.  This probably also explains the high fuel consumption.  I did not have a lathe (I do now), so I did not replace the venturi.

Here's a link to Claus' website:  http://www.clacro.de/   Click on the 'Design' button then 'Venturi Size'.

Good luck with this engine.  I certainly think it has promise, but may need a little 'tweaking'.  I would recommend a low pitch/high rpm setup or it will probably suffer from 'run-away' in stock form.

Fred

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:08:48 PM »
I bought a ST34 last year.  I think the basic design is a rather high timed heli-engine, so I ended up blocking the boost bypass with JB Weld to help cure some of it's love of high rpm.  After some break-in runs, the engine ran very well in a P-Force (profile), however it was thirsty (more  later). 

Then I mounted it in an ARF Nobler.  The running characteristics were not acceptable (Extreme difference in upright/inverted runs), plus it consumed a lot of fuel.  The tank height was perfect for my Magnum .36 so I thought maybe it had something to do with the NVA position, then I remembered an Australian newsletter discussion on this very problem.  The author checked recommended venturi sizes from a chart supplied by Claus Maikis.  I checked the venturi diameter and it is well outside the range recommended by Claus for this size engine.  This probably also explains the high fuel consumption.  I did not have a lathe (I do now), so I did not replace the venturi.

Here's a link to Claus' website:  http://www.clacro.de/   Click on the 'Design' button then 'Venturi Size'.

Good luck with this engine.  I certainly think it has promise, but may need a little 'tweaking'.  I would recommend a low pitch/high rpm setup or it will probably suffer from 'run-away' in stock form.

Fred
Fred thanks for the input. I ran this engine again on the bench. I think maybe a regular uniflow tank would work the best on this engine. As far as I can tell this engine has the same kind of run on the bench as the 51. I think with the proper setup it will run a good 2-4 break but will save my thoughts until I give it a try on a plane.  I am hoping that this engine will work and as you say I think it does use more fuel because of the venturie.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »
Remember that you can de-tune the venturi size by adding a Bruline Coarse (-.010") or Fine (-.020") air filter, or use a stack of pantyhose material for the same effect.  The pantyhose version is more compact, cheaper, and more fun, since you get to wrestle them off of someone who thinks you're crazy.   LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:38:42 PM »
Remember that you can de-tune the venturi size by adding a Bruline Coarse (-.010") or Fine (-.020") air filter, or use a stack of pantyhose material for the same effect.  The pantyhose version is more compact, cheaper, and more fun, since you get to wrestle them off of someone who thinks you're crazy.   LL~ Steve
You been loose to long. See ya this weekend. HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here