News:

• May 22, 2024, 09:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ENYA 35 model 5224  (Read 6868 times)

Offline John Desrosiers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
ENYA 35 model 5224
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
This engine is an older one that has been bench run once. I plan on using on a brodak buster.What Can you tell me about this engine. Thanks for any help in atvance.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
Re: ENYA 35 model 5224
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:02:03 PM »
If it has the square venturi then it was made somewhere from '62 to late '71 and is called the 35-III. If it has the round venturi then it's a IIIB and was made until about 1980 when it was replaced by the model 5225 35-V. Strangely there never was a 35-IV.

These Enyas take a long time to run in so be patient and it'll reward you :). One of them was once run for 104 hours and stripped to check for wear. The liner had worn by .0005" and the piston by the same amount. No other part of the engine had any wear what so ever.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:01:58 PM »
I am on a mission to run these. Very well made engines. Break them in with a 9x6 perhaps a 9x4. Let the engine run without much load. Rich then bursts of lean. High quality fuel. Our club runs 22% (50/50) 5% and 10% Powermaster in almost everything. Including Enyas, Fox 35s, all FP and LA engines. I know the engine manual for Enyas recommends all Castor oil. I think this was before quality synthetics and synthetic/Castor mixes were the norm. Synthetic/Castor mixes are useful because the qualities of the two oils are complementary. They work together to provide protection in the event of an over lean run. The synthetic reduces varnish build up. All Castor mixes tend to varnish up the engine. Eventually this means disassembly  and cleaning. Use a #2 or smaller venturi for suction feed. I have a well run in, square venturi Enya 35 that turns a 9x6 within an eyelash of 15,000 rpm when run without a muffler. Nice match for a Buster. I love Busters. Especially the Brodak version. If you luck out the wood will be very light. This has been my experience with the Brodak kit. 

Offline Joseph Lijoi

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:02:42 AM »
I love Busters. Especially the Brodak version. If you luck out the wood will be very light. This has been my experience with the Brodak kit. 

There is a Brodak Buster at the hobby shop.  Does the Brodak version have the jig tabs on the ribs like the old Carl Goldberg kits?  Does it have a shaped leading edge?  Also there is an adjustable leadout shown in the picture of the kit, but this isn't listed on the kit features.  Is an adjustable leadout inclded in the kit?  What are the differences between the Carl Goldberg version and the Brodak one.  I built the Carl Goldberg version years ago.

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:52:29 AM »
Yes Brian it has a round venturi and it is a 35 111b thanks

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 07:59:51 AM »
The brodak dose not have rib tabs or shaped leading edge and no adjustabel leadouts  Real nice kit.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:22:30 AM »
  Don't shout too loudly about the Enya 5224 models. It is almost impossible to wear them out in normal use. So I can buy a crud encased, filthy 5224 for next to nothing at a local swop meet. Spend a couple of hours cleaning it up and I have an excellent stunt engine for a few pennies!
  As I said keep quiet about this, otherwise I may have to pay real money for one of those gems. I have about half a dozen of these engines and the most expensive was less than $5 and a couple were given to me!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:02:18 AM »
The Brodak has no build tabs. A straight non tapered wing. Doesn't need tabs. Unlike the Shoestring that uses tapers. I think the airfoil tapers. Which means without tabs it's a bit of challenge to get the ribs square. Like I said. Not an issue with the Buster. Broadak supplies a balsa stick laid span wise to prop up the back of the ribs. A flat surface plus the stick work to make a straight built wing. Capstrips and standard 1/2" (I think) leading edge. A square stick. Easy enough to round these off with a flat or curved sanding block. Built up trailing edge. I would web the trailing edge. You can web the main spars if you like. I usually do. My last Buster was powered by a Tower 40 that I needled to a wailing scream. Great fun. It crashed when a friend of mine and I were flying faux combat and local kids kept coming into the circle, trying to grab the streamers. We crashed the planes rather cause an injury. A chicken hopper fits and holds enough fuel for sport flying. RSM has those tanks. Well made tanks, in my experience. If you can fit enough fuel for the Enya, Busters will do the pattern with ease.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:05:49 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »
My experience with the enya was that it was tough to tame as a 'stunt' motor. Too hard of a break. Great general sport type motor! We started using one for a very early type of sport race. When run hard will break the crank. I broke 2 of them.  PRT

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »
What size prop would be good for engine on the buster? I,m thinking a top flite 10/4.

ChrisSarnowski

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »
  Re Mr Schafer's comments on the Enya 5224 as a stunt engine. Well it isn't a RoJett or big megabucks sort of engine , but propped correctly for the model, they are an excellent engine and they don't need much in the way of taming. If you have a choice, use a low compression head or a thick shim. Something like a TT 10.5 x6 prop and you will get an excellent 4-2-4 at somewhat higher revs than a Fox 35 and with a good bit more power. I prefer a slightly rich 2 stroke and it will do this too on something like an 11x4. Don't try racing with them, they are not really built for speed!
  They are a very cheap engine second hand and do the job better than a Fox 35 in my opinion, they certainly last longer than a Fox! Read Randy's epistle on fuel and remember they need a lot of oil. I use half and half castor/synthetic at around 28%. A good "old style" engine for stunt.

Andrew.

BMFA Number 64862

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
I want to thank all of you for your info. I love this site.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
John, if you run these in a "wet" 2 stroke then you will be very pleased with the performance it will give you. In my opinion most Enya's are a excellent much over looked engine. Like Andrew I can appreciate that.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 12:43:10 PM »
My understanding is that the square venturi engines were used in Team racing way back when. Which means they were run hard. I have been told that Enyas will break rods if maxed out in rpm and run that way time after time. Turning a 9x6 at near 15 grand is getting there. Near the power of an unworked Fox 36X, the original designs, with standard back plate. We like to fly sport planes fast, which is the way I fly my Busters, Streaks, and the like. I am interested in using a square venturi 35 that way. I will ease up some on the needle. Not screeching the engine to the torture rpm. But fast.

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »
The team race comment jogged my memory some. The largest motor for TR was a .29. I had reworked an Enya .29 and used it successfully in restricted speed events and also in a team racer. Worked good. Fast enough, good economy and good hot start. Still have it! Didn't blow the crank like the .35. If you insist on running the .35 'hard', I might have and extra crank somewhere!   

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »
The 29 was widely used in Australia for class B team racing but it's a different engine to the 35, mainly with a much longer crankshaft timing. The 35-IIIB and 29-IVB (round intake) had a larger crankshaft than the earlier engines. The ballraced versions of both B engines though still used the square intake but dropped the B designation.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
I used a square intake 5224 .35 for quite a while some years ago.  I used the low compression head and the #2 venturi.  With 5% nitro and about 28% oil it ran a very good 4-2.

Jack Sheeks really fell in love with the Enya .35 in the mid '60s, designing his F3H Demon for one.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Desrosiers

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
Thank all of you again for the info. cant fly it untill the dam snow is gone mid april.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Run as a stunt engine I wouldn't worry about the crankshaft. The smoothest running one I have was "tent-pegged straight into a cement circle. Crank shaft was bent. Took it to a friends who is a machinist, put it in a small lathe, tapped it with a small hammer until it straightened out, put the engine back together, runs great, haven't touched it since. They do take a while to break in - ditto on the other advice regarding fuel etc.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here