News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:22:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Super Tigre Drive Washer Replacement  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Super Tigre Drive Washer Replacement
« on: July 25, 2006, 08:23:03 PM »
I have a fairly new Super Tigre G51 control Line engine.  Ten flights or so after break in.

Some how,  the drive washer is cracked, perhaps from turning propeller nut too tight or a wreck it suffered though it landed on grass.   

I have a new drive washer from Tower.  However it is tight on the lock nut.  Does anyone know how to remove it and put the new one one?

Thanks for any help.

Allen Eshleman

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Super Tigre Drive Washer Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 03:52:26 PM »
The "proper" way is to use a 3- or 4-jaw gear puller (you can get a cheapie from Harbour Freight). Thirty-five years ago, I just inserted a couple of flat-bladed screwdrivers under the drive washer and "popped" it loose. This occasionally left dings in the nose of the crankcase, but never seemed to have a negative effect on running characteristics.

Following a crash, when I needed to inspect the insides for dirt or damage, I removed backplate, piston and Cylinder liner and tapped the crankshaft through the drive washer and bearings. Use a piece of plywood or M/M stock to avoid dinging the crankshaft threads.

Today, I just send it off to Frank Bowman for rebuild. I figure that if it hit hard enough to crack the drive washer, the crankshaft needs to be checked for straightness, and there may be other issues as well.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Allen Eshleman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 08:02:40 PM »
Thanks.  I didn't take the time to get a puller.

Upon further examination, I saw that it was cracked enough that I could break it off with a screw driver. I did so without injuring the front of the case. Then I put the new one on. Tonight I had two great flights with the Tutor II. However, I flew level with no stunts. I want to enjoy it for awhile before I get fancy. It really pulled hard. Something must have changed a bit while I was gluing the profile fuselage back together. I braced it with hardwood on the outside and thick balsa on the inside.

The Super Tigre ran great. I like it.

Flying Owl

I got the same counsel from the Super Tigre people at Hobbico today. Here it is!

"We use a small gear or wheel puller to remove the drive washer from the engine. When we install a new one, we only need to install a propeller over it and tighten it very well."

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:31:49 PM »
I also had a cracked drive washer on my ST 51--I think I over tightened on an APC prop.

When I ordered a new washer, I bought two--just in case! ''

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here