News:

• May 22, 2024, 04:55:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stinger with Brodak 40 Mk2 ... Prop?  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Stinger with Brodak 40 Mk2 ... Prop?
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:01:12 PM »
Since the post on the Ruffy with a Fox 35 got a good response, here's another:

I have a current model B40 in a Brodak Stinger for OTS. I have tried the TT 11x4.5 and APC 10.5x4.5. I have available a load of 10x5 and 10x6 wood including the RSM 10x6, plus APC 11x4. Any suggestions about what prop this motor wants on a model this size? The model is supposed to be flown fast with a clean 2-stoke run.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Stinger with Brodak 40 Mk2 ... Prop?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:36:10 AM »
Mike: Both APC and TT props would be good choices.  My recommendation (based on personal experience) for that model is the APC 10.5 x 4.5.  Ground RPM will be around 10,500 in a fast 4 cycle at launch.  Don't try for a 2 cycle run, you will get a clean, fast 4 cycle with very little break using that combination.  It will be a very useable stunt run. With the TT prop the you will get the same run but at a lower (10,200 or so) RPM.  Try both but I think you will like the APC run better...more prop clearance too.

Around 4.5 ounces of GMA 10/22 will get you through the modern pattern, less for OTS  (quicker pattern).  If the engine speeds up during the run, it needs more break in time.  Sometimes a few extra ounces of castor oil added to the fuel will mimize the tendency to speed up. Once the engine is broken in you will not need the added castor. Use the stock muffler until the engine is running the way you like it. After that you can switch to a tongue muffler if you wish. The B-40 is a very versatile engine, there are other ways to run it but this is what has worked for me. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »
Since the post on the Ruffy with a Fox 35 got a good response, here's another:

I have a current model B40 in a Brodak Stinger for OTS. I have tried the TT 11x4.5 and APC 10.5x4.5. I have available a load of 10x5 and 10x6 wood including the RSM 10x6, plus APC 11x4. Any suggestions about what prop this motor wants on a model this size? The model is supposed to be flown fast with a clean 2-stoke run.

Hi
The cyclone 11 x 4.5  prop  works  very well on the  B-40

Randy

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »
Thanks guys! I will continue experimenting with these two props. I did have good luck with the APC 10.5x4.5 on a B40 in a Cardinal a few years ago. This particular engine in the Stinger had about an hour of bench time and now about 40 minutes in the air so I expect it will continue to get better.

Biggest issue now is that the beast is severely tailheavy (very short nose, thick sheet tail section, quarter-inch fuse sides and top) and appears to need another 4 oz of nose weight to balance where the plans indicate. Looks like the plans are right! I was hoping it would not need all that lead, but it does.

Pete, have you reached detente with the gila monsters in your new home in NM? Hope you can make it to GSSC in October but I realize that is a muy long drive. Nice to see you at Woodland.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »
Hi Mike, actually I'm looking for a ceramic gila monster to mount on a rock I have in the front yard.  I hope to make it down for Golden State.  Prop wise - when in Sacramento I like the TT/Cyclone 11x4.5 but at Tucson or NM I go with the APC because I get faster lap times with that prop. This is necessary at the higher DA of those flying sites. Sorry 'bout the tail heavy condition, that's a tough one.  HB~>
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:20:53 PM »
Mike - if at all possible, try and remove some of the weight in the aft section of the Stinger. The plane will not fly well if it's much over 34 ounces. I built my fuselage with 3/32 sides, using carbon fiber mat on the inside. The stabilizer is 5/16 inch thick and built up and the elevator is 1/4 inch.

I don't know how far along you are but try and avoid lots of noseweight - the Stinger turns like a combat plane and increasing the inertial moments will really slow it down, even make it mushy.

Mine is powered by a Fox 35 turning a 9 1/2-6 APC and a Nylon spinner. It has an ultra-light carbon fiber gear. It weighed around 32 ounces and flew perfectly without a bit of trim. After the crash/repair it picked up a couple of ounces but since the repairs were mostly in the wing joint area, the inertia was not really affected it flew just the same.

Bob Z.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »
Thanks Bob. Coming from "Mr. Stinger" that is most helpful. I am reluctant to admit that mine already weighs 41 oz (including 2 oz nose weight) and I don't see anywhere to put Buzz on a diet without major surgery. Still, I would hardly call its flight qualities mushy or sluggish; actually it was very quick and turns extremely tight, maybe 15 foot loops, way too tight for scored OTS competition. I really like the uniqueness of the model and will continue experimenting with it, maybe add another 2 oz and just accept it will be wiggly on the landing glide. Better still, build another one but change the construction/design of the fuse and tail, including use of RC motor mount (ie delete the ply formers and hardwood bearers entirely) and built up tail with lighter fuse sides and top. My local design team is already discussing the options!

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
The model is supposed to be flown fast with a clean 2-stoke run.

Hi Mike. I guess this means that is how the original model was flown, and would depend on the engine originally used. The Brodak may have its own preferred type of run. Dale Kirn could advise?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:51:41 AM »
Actually, I got the info from Dale when he called me about the Stinger. Apparently, it was the first one that he had seen in competition for a while. He mentioned lightness being important due to the thin wing - BUT, it's likely that yours flies well at the 41 ounce weight because of the extra power of the B-40. In any case, as long as it flies to your satisfaction, don't change anything! It's really quite a fine OTS bird and I'm surprised that there are not more seen at contests. I've only seen one besides my own.
My only complaint is the after run behavior. Mine does not like to glide. The slightest breeze will toss it around, making for some scary landings.

Bob Z.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:50:17 AM »
I now wish I had taken more time adjusting my Stinger that was built off the pans I got from Dale personally at VSC.  He even gave me a formed canopy for it.  It was built according to plans.  Don't remember what final weight was.  Powered by a Fox Stunt .35 with stuffer back plate and hemi head.  The first flights I made were just before VSC and seemed pretty good here in Kansas.  After getting to VSC was having trouble getting the Fox needled to my satisfaction and the air was turbulant.  Guy/gals that have been there know what I mean about the afternoon air at Christopher Columbius Park.  Needless to say before competition started I pancaked it and broke the center section of the wing and splintered the fuselage.  Flew my Nobler and was first recipient of the "GMA Award". 

Have had the Brodak kit ever since it came out.  May be my next project.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 02:46:12 PM »
We should probably move this to "OTS" so the other OTS enthusiasts will be aware of the discussion.

Doc, if you build the Brodak kit with stock (excellent) wood it probably will come out tail heavy like mine. The laser cut kit is really good with very good wood selection, but there is a lot of it. I would use thinner sheet for at least the rear fuse and a built up tail section as Bob Z describes. I covered mine with silkspan and used cloth hinges and an all dope finish to stick with the vintage theme, but if doing it again I would use lighter materials and maybe Ultracote to cover. The wing is a D-box structure so doesn't need a lot of "stressed skin" strength from the covering.

I moved the engine as far forward as the bearers would allow because I could sense a W&B problem coming. Maybe we could (heresy) extend the nose by an inch. Wonder if Dale Kirn ever built one like that in the OTS period that would legitimize doing so?

Actually, another member of my club has a Brodak kit nearly framed up. He has seen mine fly and is aware now of the balance issue. We will discuss changes on his. On mine I intend to just add some weight to get it to glide safely and go with that. I too have had some scary glides. Oh, and a free-flight over the top last Sunday in the wind.

While still on the subject of design changes, the soldered-together forked pushrod to the two elevators imparted a force tending to push the elevators to full "down" at rest. Not good. So after fully built I opened the belly sheeting to re-desgn the pushrods with a pivoting ball link where the pushrods split to the elevators. Better but still a little unnerving. If starting from a kit I would use two independent carbon rod pushrods (Tom Morris) from either the bellcrank or maybe a slave pivot at the wing TE as if it was a flapped model but without the flaps. This could also reduce the elevator movement. This model needs very little elevator movement.

All in all a very cool plane that should be built by more people. A half-dozen at VSC would be a sight to see.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 10:25:39 AM »
Hi Mike,

You could take *some* weight out by cutting off the bottom and shaving the fuselage sides down from the inside between the formers.  If the sides are 1/4" (WOW!) you can take them down to at least 3/32nd".  A thought......

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here