News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:10:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stalker Engine Reviews  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Jim Catevenis

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Stalker Engine Reviews
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:10:06 AM »
Stalker Update – October 2016

I’ve now been flying Stalker engines for about a year.  Below are my experiences and recommendations so far:

Stalker 40RE – I have this engine in my Stilares, which is essentially a reworked Nobler, which I designed in 1976, and was published in Model Airplane News in April ’77.  The original had a Fox .35.  This one weighs 45 ounces.
     The Stalker .40RE required a couple of .010” head shims to soften the power – the 2 cycle “break” was too strong!  The propeller is an 11 x 5 Brodak cut down to 10 1/4 inches.  It has always been run on 5% nitro Sig Champion fuel.
     This is a very clean, low-drag design, so it is/was essentially over-powered with a stock Stalker .40RE.  Conclusion – the engine can carry much more airplane, say up to 50 ounces and 600 plus square inches.  Very classic 4-2-4 run quality.

Stalker .46SE – I first put one of these on my 53 ounce, 575 square inch P-51C Profile designed by Pat Johnston.  Previous engine was a Double Star .54 turning a 12 x 6 Brodak prop.  This combination won many Profile events over a three year period.
     The Stalker .46SE was mounted by drilling new mounting holes and using threaded inserts.  With a tongue muffler (Brodak/Big Art muffler for an OS .35S) the balance point remained the same.  The tank is a 6 ounce Sullivan plastic, set up with two clunks, one for the feed, a shorter one for Uniflow venting.  The prop was the same Brodak 12 x 6 as used on the Double Star.
     The .46SE pulls the plane at the same power level as the Double Star .54.  There is, however, an “outside burp” on wingover pullouts and at the bottom of an outside square loop.  It keeps on running, but was a little unnerving on that first wingover!  I’ve learned to ignore it, and won Profile at the Spring Huntersville, N.C. meet in this configuration.
     I also have a Stalker .46SE in my 48 ounce Nakke (600 square inches) Classic model.  Based on my experience with the Stalker .40RE, I first added a couple of head shims to the .46.  Flying proved that this softened the power too much above 45 degrees, so they were removed.
Depending on the temperature, I’ve run both 5% and 10% nitro with excellent results.  Most recently, I won Nostalgia and Classic at the 85 degree Baton Rouge/Zachery, LA. Meet using 10% nitro Sig 4-stroke fuel (18% all synthetic oil) with an 11 x 6 Brodak prop.  I’m not finished trying props, and I felt the 11 x 6 didn’t load the engine quite enough.  I will try cut-down 12 x 6 props next.  The muffler is a Brodak/Big Art tongue with the holes drilled to 1/8 inch.  The plane would be nose heavy with the stock tube muffler, even though it is quite light.
Conclusion:  The Stalker .46SE is better on a non-profile model, but acceptable on a profile.  Power is on par, at least, with a Super Tigre .46 or an OS Max LA .46, with a very traditional run.

Stalker .76SE - I have this in an enlarged Stilares “look-alike” at 700 square inches and 70 ounces.  I’ve only just now started working with this one.  The prop is a Bolly (or Eather) four-blade 12 x 6 which pitches out true at 5 1/2 inches.  The lines are 65 feet, 018”.  The stock muffler is being used as it balances the plane properly.  Stock head spacing.  Fuel, so far, is 5% nitro Sig Champion as I cannot get a 5% nitro, full synthetic fuel.
     The engine pulls the plane effortlessly.  It takes a little under 7 ounces of fuel for the pattern.  The tank is an 8 ounce round Sullivan plastic set up “two clunk” style.
     I’m using the 4 blade props because the plane wouldn’t “look right” with taller landing gear.
Conclusion: Like the other engines, it has a classic 4-2-4 run quality.  Also, using the stock muffler, and 4 blade prop, it is very quiet for an engine this size.  I have no doubt the rear exhaust version would run exactly the same, and not have the muffler hanging out in the breeze.  If you need brute power, either .76 is a great choice.

Late Breaking News: Stalker has agreed to build .40 and .51side exhaust engines if there is enough interest.  These two engines, along with the .46, cover nearly all Classic and Nostalgia/70’s era designs with no need to modify for rear exhaust.

One other note: Use the “first digit” of the engine size as a guide for the tank size, IE, 4 ounces for the .40, 5 ounces for the .51, 6 ounces for the .61’s, and 7 ounces for the .76/.81, then add another 1/2 ounce for safety margin.  

For additional information or if you wish to express your interest, you may contact Tom at 770 592-3279 or by mail at 315 Santa Anita Avenue, Woodstock, GA 30189, USA

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:27:59 AM by Jim Catevenis »
JCAT

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Stalker Engine Reviews
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:23:59 AM »
Rich's Brew makes 5% all synthetic. My Stalker, DS and Evo work very well on this fuel.

Randy supports control line racing and combat. Up in the Great White North we have used his fuel for F2D since the turn of the century.

Brad

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:04:58 PM »
How does the muffler/header attach to the engine on the 40 RE.  A buddy of mine picked up one at Huntersville this weekend but is puzzled by the header/muffler setup.
Steve

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »
Ickle prettypicture , from their site, if its right.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:24:16 PM »
Whereas the 51 screws on ( before nailing in the engine ) and wants a dowl from the rear bulkhead to catch the ole at the back, of the muffler .

Repeated 'G's might do something , if its not restrained, if youve got tight bottoms in the squares . 6 BA bolts are inadequate for a
S Tigre Silent Muffler . therefore and thus , the receptical in the rear of the muffler is for a restraint .On the Stalker .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »
the General theory here in terra Australis ( particularly with Brian Eather ) is that the Stock Muffler is To Restrictive .

Specify a Eather Spec. muffler when ordering . A perforated baffle , about ten 1/8 in. holes , 3/4 the way down the toob .

The 66 seems to want 130/135 cc of 10% N in a 65 Oz ship, for the pattern .Or Less . on a 12 x 5 Top Flite wood .
\
Also Multitudeinous head Gaskets seem worthwhile . Or it could backfire , sputter, land, and start up in reverse .
In which case youd have somthing atempting to emulate a Canard , if it took off . Before Jeff caught it .  :-X :-X

The close head is for No Nitro . Add Gaskets for softer break 4-2-4 , so they say , and 3 for Nitro. Or More .
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:59:51 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »
So the RE 40 also requires a dowel from the rear former of the engine compartment to hold the muffler in position?
Steve

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
Shall we say ' a support ' .

This infernal picture shows a lug for a bolt , it seems.

Nuther seeing the caption says ' 40 ' , differant length manifolds .

A saddle , a hole in a bulkhead if the rear has a pin set up , or a dowl stuffed in a cup . Or if Cupped ditto or dowl on firewall . Asuming its not side mounted . mw~
Presumably so it wont wrench the connection . Tho the more decadent could half saw thru the header , like the old notched clutch lever trick ,
so it leaves a stub when it breaks .

Presumably a remote mounted muffler with a flexable connection , similar to a tuned pipe header , would work .
the Two Bolt set up on the 61/76 etc matches the OS etc Std 2 bolt spacing , for manifolds .But the holes bigger on the Stalker . >:(

REAR EXHAUST MUFFLER: Ideally fix the rear end of the muffler so that there is little or no movement.  The tube on the rear end of the muffler is designed to fit over a rubber covered section of dowel. The dowel is fixed to the fuselage former (see photo above, the red rubber is just visible). If the muffler moves, there will be some exhaust leakage at the stack.  This can be minimized by adding a V ring on the muffler neck pushed up against the stack or use a short length of silicone tubing over the exhaust stack and the neck of the muffler.

note vent for air flow for RE muffler

Exhaust modifications -aluminium tube -  wish to extend the exhaust outlet point, remove baffles or shorten the muffler: - Gently heat the cast sections of the muffler and it will come undone.  Beware; the adhesive gives off a nasty odour. You can now add or remove baffles, cut the tube to the desired length or drill out the end section and add a length of aluminium tube to extend the outlet and terminate with something like a Dynaflite exhaust deflector. 

Composite tube muffler-  to shorten length- as there is a maximum temperature that the tube can withstand, it is necessary to cut the tube to the desired length. Then heat the aluminium section that has the tube section to be disposed of. If you heat the aluminium sections there is every possibility that you will deform the composite tube.

Glue back with something like JB Weld, a USA product (available in the UK from Halfords).  Alternatively re-cycle those excellent miniature screws from kiddie toys and use to hold the cast sections to the aluminum tube . If you wish to add tank pressure, the best position to tap in a nipple is usually the shoulder on the neck of the muffler.

If you find using the O rings inconvenient, then apply PTFE tape (from a plumbers shop and cost little) to the muffler to get a good fit. Obtain a short length of Silicone tubing – thin walled, from your local hobby shop and use it over the muffler neck and exhaust stub and secure with a nylon tie.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »
This is what I did on my Olympic/Stalker51.  Get rubber grommet to fit the muffler's rear stub.  Make aluminum bracket to fit the grommet from angle stock.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Martin Quartim

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
    • StuntHobby
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 09:29:57 AM »
My friends down here using the Stalker 76RE are burning only 2.7Oz of fuel. Most use Leonidov 14.2" props.  Wondering why you are using so much more fuel? 

Martin

Old Enya's never die, they just run stronger!

https://www.youtube.com/user/martinSOLO

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 09:48:39 AM »
Maybe because he uses less muffler restriction?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Norm Whittle told me by email that he had some run problems with his Stalker .76RE and solved them by boring the venturi out to .330" diameter. That seems quite large, but he also used zero nitro fuel. Sometimes, an engine just runs better when it burns more fuel and thus, oil. At least, that's the theory I read on the internet.

I'm not a big fan of extreme fuel economy, but also would try higher oil content as a way to cool the engine, if that might be the cause. That would also increase fuel consumption. Plus, the more fuel you burn, the less problems you will have with under/over runs. When I launched for Norm at a NW Regionals, he said he used 4 oz of fuel, no nitro. Since this was when nitro production in the USA was eliminated by the explosion at the only source, I thought that using "straight fuel" was potentially a real good thing. I need to try it.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here