News:

• May 08, 2024, 03:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stalker 66 set up?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Jim Morris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Stalker 66 set up?
« on: August 06, 2007, 12:25:39 PM »
Is anyone running the Stalker 66?  I would like to know a basic starting point. Head shims, fuel type and how much? I am currently running a 12.5x 5.9 2B carbon fiber prop. I have a 5.5 oz tank installed but seems to not need it, maybe a 5oz? I have not been very successful in getting consistant runs, but that could be self induced from trash in the tank from soldering.      Thanks in advance.

Walter Hicks

Re: Stalker 66 set up?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 09:48:12 PM »
Hi,

I flew my modified Score last week with the Stalker .66. 3 head shims , Powermaster  15% nitro 18% oil.

Thunderbolt RC Long plug.  5oz or less of fuel. My prop was 13x7 Bolly  at 8600 rpm launch. The Score is

heavy 67 oz. So If you plane is lighter  less pitch like you have would be fine.

***Runs like a top*** 1 flip starts  nice steady 4 cycle with nice easy 2-4-2 break . I am using

63 feet lines  61 feet eyelet to eyelet. More versatile than the .81 which runs at much lower RPM range.

I will try more props . I think it would be great with a 55-60  oz plane  650 squares or so.

I really like this engine . Very consistant tank after tank, Uniflow no muffler pressure stock venturi.

Walter Hicks

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:53:22 PM »
A bit more information. I had some strange runs then I changed the glow Plug to an IDLE BAR  type and changed fuel

to The Powermaster blend Castor /Synthetic. I think it has mostly Synthetic. The the engine purred like a kitten

flight after flight. It did not like more rpm than 8600, al;though I have a Bolly 2 b 13" repitched to 7" due to the

weight  of the plane , and guessing based on the .Stalker 81 performance. What specifically are the

run characteristics you are having problems with?

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »
Hi Walter, thanks for the info. As I stated before about crud in the tank, well I confirmed that last night. I flushed the tank with Acetone through a paper towel, lots of crud. This I believe will fix it. I also E mailed Kaz and asked him if the Sig 10% nitro and 20% oil 1/2 syn 1/2 cast. was ok.He said thats what he used in his at the nats,but, He said all synthetic would probably be better. Good info .I would like to try the Powermaster 18% oil sometime. I just happen to have alot of Sig at the moment.

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 07:50:58 AM »
Hi Walter, Just wanted to ask you if you are using the stock venturi? I am having real weird problems. No more crud in tank,no more leaks in tank, but during flight the engine runs and breaks hard inverted,I have shimmed the tank where it is now 7/32 in above spraybar inverted. The engine also loads up and almost dies on a hard pullout upright. This is very frustrating. What kind of tank are you using?

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 10:00:31 AM »
Walter, Im sorry but I see you did use the stock venturi. Should have read the previouse posts again. I do have one more question. What is the measurement from spraybar to tank pickup on your set up?

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:29:55 AM »
Jim,
Thought I'd add a bit to this thread.  I've been running the 66 this year at the urging of Brian Eather.  I'm flying the older version of Brian's Firecracker design with about 770 sq. in. The plane weighs in at 68 oz.  My Stalker is running an Eather 12.5 X 5.25 3B with slight undercamber on Powermaster YS/Saito 20/20 fuel which is all synthetic. Thunderbolt 4 stroke plug.  RPM is set at 8200 on takeoff.  The engine uses about 4.5 oz. of fuel for the pattern feeding from a metal uniflow tank and using muffler pressure.  The engine has a slightly different muffler than the one that Kaz supplies with the engine.  Mine is more like the Stalker 81 muffler but has a baffle in it.  I'm using 3 shims under the head and using the smaller of the 2 venturis supplied.
I've heard some stories coming mainly from Australia about poor runs on the Stalker 66.  Seems that the hard break and not switching back to 4 stroking seems to be the primary problem.  While my engine does not do this, it is common enough that some engines were sent back to the factory to find the problem with no resolution.  There is also, I understand some differences in the port timing on some of the engines compared to others.  Minor changes but none the less, differences. 
I'm certainly not trying to scare anyone about the engine as I love the one I have.  I was looking for a good replacement for my aged ST 60 fleet and thought I'd found it, but I will have to think seriously about buying another if there is indeed a quality control problem.
Alan Resinger

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 09:41:40 AM »
  I was looking for a good replacement for my aged ST 60 fleet and thought I'd found it

I bought three new in the box ST 60's last year, all K series.  I think I paid $225 for all three.

Those three ought to last a few decades.

I know there are lots more on the market, and more showing up all the time. 
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Jim Morris

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »
Alan, I have E mailed Kaz and he said to try a bigger venturi. While Im waiting for it I put a little bigger one in from another Stalker.The runs were improved. Yes it had the hard break and not returning to 4 cycle.Kaz says they are running big venturis and 12x6.5 pitch props at a low rpm. The bigger venturi seems to help. I went back to the two blade.I only got one with this engine .281 dia.     Thanks for the help.

Walter Hicks

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 01:13:28 PM »
Hi ,

Sorry this took so long mine has a Clunk tank 6 oz. Runs like  a top  10/18 Powermaster fuel no 15/18 as stated earlier. You can adjust the clunk tank very easily for run characteristics.Not sure of the height of the pick  up as the tank is very difficult to remove now. WH

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here